Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking online for tires. They're a lot of them. I have been taking a huge interest in Super Swamper's. Also some Ground Hogs. Any Suggestions?

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
It might help for those who know, to better answer you're question if ya tell'em what the truck will be mainly used for, dual purpose,dd,strictly trail rig, mud bogger,etc, just a suggestion? I am interested in the answer to this question myself??? my Bronk will be A Dual Purpose Rig

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
super swamper boggers are the best mud tire. for a dd and trail rig, mt/rs are good. im goin with those or nitto mud grapplers when i get back from afghanistan

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
:usa, USMC you just make it back in one piece Bro,Thanks for all you are doing!!!!!!!!!!and the info,
Johnny??? what can I say about you??:goodfinge
just kidding ;) Brother ! Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
boggers x3 (there not that bad just loud)
if its a dd or mostly street i like the buckshots they clean real well.

·
Registered
247 Posts
For the street a lot of guys like Thornbirds.
how do the thornbirds do when it get's down and dirty? I've got a decent line on a set of almost brand new 38 thornbirds...I'm running 35 SX's now...and i'm happy with them, although I have't had it out much. I'd have to get more lift before I could clear the 38's...but, I'd have them for when I do.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
oops...double post, damned internet

·
Registered
247 Posts
I dont think I've ever heard of anybody that likes thornbirds for anything
What is it people don't like about them? They look like they have pretty deep tread, so you'd think they'd do ok offroad, and, I'm not too concerned with highway...can't be as bad as boggers on the road...even so, look at what they were designed for.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What is it people don't like about them? They look like they have pretty deep tread, so you'd think they'd do ok offroad, and, I'm not too concerned with highway...can't be as bad as boggers on the road...even so, look at what they were designed for.
I've only heard of one person stick up for Thornbirds and only in a 38" tire.

Otherwise your sx's are all you need :thumbup

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
What is it people don't like about them?
From personel experiance with a freinds truck.

They suck in sand
They suck on rocks
They suck in the mud
They suck in dirt
They suck on wet pavement
They howl like a TSL
They drive like a Bogger
They wear out like a TSL

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
thornbirds are only ok if aired way down for sand on light truck like a jeep. they were supposed to be street tires with a tough look and some off road abilty but as said above they dont live up to that AND being soft SS rubber they wear out on the street real fast.
The boggers are the best mud tire, but not for street use, or you are just wasting your money.
Ground hawgs are old technology.
For 50% on road and 50% off road, (highly unlikely) BFG mud terrains would be my pick, should get a good deal now on the "old style" since the they have a newer version out now.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've got a set of 35x14.50 Thornbirds I scored mounted for free. The previous owner rolled the truck they were one and hadn't used them in awhile.

Anyway, as far as handling they do ok. Its livable, you have to pay attention to what you're doing on a back road because they like to follow ruts and dips.....but its not bad.....UNLESS!! your front end is worn. If you have anything at all wrong with the front its a bitch to keep in the road. I almost threw them out myself because I didn't realize I had a couple issues up front.

I haven't had a good chance to take them offroad due to work and severe lack of rain legal mud is hard to come by these days.

I will say they are loud. I feel like I'm in a twin prop sometimes. I don't mind it personally except I had a rear wheel bearing start to go out and I had no idea until I smelled diff fluid hitting the exhaust. It makes it very hard to distinguish vibrations and noise in the truck....which IMHO is what makes it not a very good DD tire.......not the handling or wear.....

My $.02

1 - 20 of 32 Posts