Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to replace my front coils, shocks, and tie rods. After removing the front springs I found some kind of a spacer? They are stamped "4x4" on them and are two different sizes? Never seen these before? Why is one taller then the other?

Automotive tire Hat Asphalt Road surface Synthetic rubber

Tire Automotive tire Product Wood Sports equipment

Automotive tire Coin Wood Automotive wheel system Body jewelry

Hand tool Wood Metalworking hand tool Tool Writing implement

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't remember which one goes on which side? Do you?

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,736 Posts
Not 100% positive but I think there different heights because of the two piece axles and how they pivot…… and I’m of even less help cuz I couldn’t tell ya which side gets what.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
never seen these in any of my 1992-1996 Bronco's

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Glad this thread came up. I have mine off and painted but didn’t realize they were different heights. Will have to inspect when I get back home.

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
18,074 Posts
They are on every coil sprung TTB. Some are round, some have ears on them for the sway bar end links.

There should be a 1/4" thick rubber washer (called an isolator) between it and the coil spring.

I did not know they were different heights per side though!

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
On my 85 the taller is on the passenger side. (Like you've already seen 200 Times)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I looked at my retainers again. Can’t tel a difference between sides and they measure close enough a couple different ways to be functionally equivalent. Unsure why they became different in later years.

Tableware Dishware Wood Serveware Automotive design

Sports equipment Automotive tire Bumper Wood Table

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Table Rim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts