Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was toying with the idea of building one for my 95. Hi-lift on one side and a small shovel on the other, might throw the spare on it too and rig up a spot for a couple tanks on the back (gas and water). Should I consider it or do you think I should lay off the beer before I try to think?

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
It's been done sucsessfully before so go for it... and lay offa the Beer-

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Just make sure you'll be able to fit in your garage afterwards... I want to build one for the cab (no back top) but I won't fit in the garage afterward. :(

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Decide if you really need it. Because you WILL hurt your fuel mileage....I'm going to put one on, but with my family, I won't be able to fit all the camping stuff without one....I don't think.

I also don't want it on all the time, because I just won't need it all the time.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have 2 tops for the '79. One with sliding windows and an Explorer rack and the other with no rack and non sliding windows. The one with the rack gets used mostly during the spring/summer when I may need to attach something to the top.

As far as fitting in the garage....didn't fit to begin with, so no worries there :beer I can put it in the carport if need be though.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Hummer rack turned sideways

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
So what does everyone actually carry up there? I would think the Fiberglass topper has a relatively low weight limit. I've been thinking of putting one on but the weight limit issue has me wondering.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,255 Posts
Got a OEM rack off a Expedition that I am planning on putting on. Not the cool basket type but still usable and hope it does not hurt the MPGs as much as a basket.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
my opinion on roof racks.. Complete waste of time and money for me.. All my vehicles are lifted to high so I could never use em.. :brownbag

However done right they are awesome..

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gas, water, and a spare are bad things to have on the roof.
No no no, the tanks would be mounted on a swing arm behind the tailgate. I'm still undecided on the tire it my ride inside in the back of the truck.

For everything else, I have no garage space it sits outside and gets worked on outside.

My only problem is gas milage. It already sucks (about 8mpg) but I need an exhaust (has no muffler right now) and I need to do a good tune up on her.

·
RBV Abuser, F/S user
747 Posts
Around here, a roof rack is pretty much nothing more than a "tree magnet". If you have the overhead clearance where you ride, and actually do like the look then I would say go for it.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
So what does everyone actually carry up there? I would think the Fiberglass topper has a relatively low weight limit. I've been thinking of putting one on but the weight limit issue has me wondering.
Mine held all this stuff with no problem at all.

my opinion on roof racks.. Complete waste of time and money for me.. All my vehicles are lifted to high so I could never use em.. :brownbag.
x2! All that stuff was a PITA to get off the top, especially the 37" tire.:whiteflag Not to mention it turned my very low mpg to non-existent mpg. I took it off and sold it to a guy with a K-5.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
my opinion on roof racks.. Complete waste of time and money for me.. All my vehicles are lifted to high so I could never use em.. :brownbag

However done right they are awesome..
Im putting a ladder on the side for you vertically challenged people...

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I was thinking that if I got one, I'd do some kind of a swing down ladder. I'd be curious to see how you did it.

·
the Broheim
3,994 Posts
Mine held all this stuff with no problem at all.

x2! All that stuff was a PITA to get off the top, especially the 37" tire.:whiteflag Not to mention it turned my very low mpg to non-existent mpg. I took it off and sold it to a guy with a K-5.
another point is added weight on top of the vehicle hurts center of gravity :twak

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Got a OEM rack off a Expedition that I am planning on putting on. Not the cool basket type but still usable and hope it does not hurt the MPGs as much as a basket.
This is what I want to do. It gives you the option of strapping one of the plastic clamshell doohickies on the top for extra space to carry gear, but is lite and out of the way when not in use. Shouldnt hurt MPGs at all....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts