Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Ford Bronco XLT 4x4 5.8
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently bought a 1994 Bronco XLT 4x4 5.8L. I bought it from the original owner and I love the truck. 77,000 original miles but she is a little crispy.

It needs new ball joints, and I'm having a hard time deciding on which ones to choose. I could do the work myself, but its cold here in NJ and I don't have time. I'm having a shop do the work and he's letting me supply the parts; so I want to make sure I get a quality ball joint. I have been reading on here about everyone's experiences with Moog and other brands.

My truck is all stock, and I don't plan on modifying the suspension. Really this truck will be a pavement queen.
I was contemplating on the AC Delco/ Napa Ncp blue boot, the Mevotech TTX, or the Preforged ball joints. I was looking into Motorcraft, but I get all different part numbers for them.

I really don't have a budget for parts.

All input it appreciated!

·
Registered
790 Posts
I need to change mine soon, but every one where i work in says hands down moog is the best

·
Registered
952 Posts
Napa blue ones.

·
Registered
1995 Ford Bronco
49 Posts
I have used moog throughout my 15 years as a mechanic and a few years ago I noticed the quality and therefore the longevity of their ball joints went to crap. I haven't done the ball joints on my bronco yet but I went with XRF for all my steering linkage and am really happy with them.

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
2,142 Posts
I went with Proforged after reading folk's reviews on here. Ok so far.

Reactions: canuckistan97

·
Man of endless projects
9,752 Posts
ive had the NAPA Chassis in my previous 96 for a year with very heavy use. for comparison, i used Moog and mix of other brands and they would be trashed within a few months. when i scrapped the truck, i put the front axle in my 88. while its not used much (1-2 events a year), it still hold up great. so i really liked them. downside is the price.

i did some researching and i THINK Raybestos Profesional and AC Delco Professional are made by the same manufacture as the NAPA Chassis so i started using them. Think Raybestos stopped making them tho i have them in my F250 and look identical to the NAPA Chassis. the AC Delco Pro ive been using since and MOST look identical but not all

never tried the other brands

·
Registered
952 Posts
ive had the NAPA Chassis in my previous 96 for a year with very heavy use. for comparison, i used Moog and mix of other brands and they would be trashed within a few months. when i scrapped the truck, i put the front axle in my 88. while its not used much (1-2 events a year), it still hold up great. so i really liked them. downside is the price.

i did some researching and i THINK Raybestos Profesional and AC Delco Professional are made by the same manufacture as the NAPA Chassis so i started using them. Think Raybestos stopped making them tho i have them in my F250 and look identical to the NAPA Chassis. the AC Delco Pro ive been using since and MOST look identical but not all

never tried the other brands
It's also worth noting desolate sells the blue napa chassis ball joints. When I looked into ball joints, they confirmed they just sell the napa ones. So I went to napa and bought them cheaper. They did state they've done a lot of testing with various brands and the napa chassis ones held up the best.

Reactions: GetBent4x4

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
i've seen positive reviews of the heavy duty mevotech ball joints. i've not used them, though. i have used centric brand ball joints on mine and the've been ok, but the dust boot is cracking on a couple.

·
Premium Member
93 XLT 347, GT40 Heads, Bassani headers/exhaust, E4OD
1,732 Posts
Did NAPA Chassis make some changes or am I having an early onset senior moment?

When I looked into this a year or so ago, picked up a lot of positives on the NCP blue ball joints, but I thought they were the high end of NAPA’s “good, better, best” parts. I see now they are pushing a green, sintered ball joint as there top end product...

·
Man of endless projects
9,752 Posts
ya i saw that. they are Mevotech Terrain Tough Extreme series. been awhile since i hsopped at NAPA and they didnt offer them back when i did. but with a significantly higher price. 74$ upper/ 60$ lower from NAPA but on rockauto they are 30$ upper/ 25$ lower

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,358 Posts
i've seen positive reviews of the heavy duty mevotech ball joints. i've not used them, though. i have used centric brand ball joints on mine and the've been ok, but the dust boot is cracking on a couple.
I purchased the Mevotech TTX Heavy Duty Ball Joints p/n's TXK80026 uppers and TXK8195T lowers, but I haven't installed them yet. I'm a Procrastinating old man!!!!

·
Premium Member
93 XLT 347, GT40 Heads, Bassani headers/exhaust, E4OD
1,732 Posts
ya i saw that. they are Mevotech Terrain Tough Extreme series. been awhile since i hsopped at NAPA and they didnt offer them back when i did. but with a significantly higher price. 74$ upper/ 60$ lower from NAPA but on rockauto they are 30$ upper/ 25$ lower
Wow, and that’s before the 5% FSB discount at Rockauto as well... crazy.

Appreciate the heads up!

·
Super Moderator
28,821 Posts
Yo Npod728,
Welcome!
➡ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number); or @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or ... have VIN ready. While there, see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

1994 Bronco Dealer Brochure by Ford via Dezo's Garage @ https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1994-Ford-Bronco.pdf

1994 Bronco Brochure, Partial; Cover & Page 3; plus pics of EDDIE BAUER model accessories.
by Ford via BigRob at 1994 Ford Bronco Bronco Accessories pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view due to scammers who preyed on our members.).

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How To Upload Images To Posts, How to Use Search, How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts & more tips!

BabaLooey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) ... includes such as, "Tailgate Window repair & troublehooting."

Try to find time to participate and Vote in our Full-Size of the Month Contest (soon to be Quarter) and later in the year Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.
Al

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
I purchased the Mevotech TTX Heavy Duty Ball Joints p/n's TXK80026 uppers and TXK8195T lowers, but I haven't installed them yet. I'm a Procrastinating old man!!!!
you dont' have to be old to procrastinate the ball joints. that job sucks!

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,358 Posts
you dont' have to be old to procrastinate the ball joints. that job sucks!
Well I had to make up some kind of excuse, so being old seemed the best at the moment and it is the truth and my Mechanic Mojo ain't what it use to be when I was younger....

·
Eric
2,669 Posts
I went with Moog when I tore through my front suspension rebuild a year ago. I didn't like some of their "problem solver" stuff and went with the standard line. Just as an example, here's a pic of the pivot bushing differences:

Bottom: factory original
Top left: Moog "Problem Solver" line
Top right: Moog standard line

You can see the center pivot bolt sleeve is poorly formed and out-of-round on the "problem solver" bushing.

Reactions: dash_cam
1 - 20 of 29 Posts