Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

what could be draining my power?

851 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  halflife 
#1 ·
Friday my bronco started giving me some trouble starting. Turn the key and there would be one click and nothing. A few minutes later it would turn over, but just barely. Knew it was the battery as it was 10 yrs old and all corroded. So yesterday I buy a new battery and she fires right up. Go out this morning and just a click, not even 12 hours later. Obviously something in draining the battery. I had to get to work so really could not figure it out and will be trying to find out the issue tonight when it is dark so looking for some insight into what you think would be a common thing to drain the battery on a bronco

#2 ·
With the key on off, I would pull the + battery cable, hook an ammeter between the + battery post and the + cable. And then start pulling fuses until the ammeter reads 0. That would give me the circuit to start looking for.

If you don't have an ammeter, or don't know how to use one, you probably could use a test light in the same fashion. when the light goes out, you have pulled the fuse for the mystery drain. After that, it all depends on what is on the circuit.

Cheers

Steve

#7 ·
Do this. But just get it down to a very low amount of amps being drawn, and the computer, cdplaer (If you have one) and stuff all have memory stuff that draws a minimal amount of power. It will help you deterime what is draining before going through alot of work. Just make sure a dome light, door chime, or similar isn't on during the test. Had the same problem in my mustang, thats how I found out the alt. was going bad and had a justified reson to go 3G:thumbup

The first step in fixing anything is to find out what is wrong, not determining what you wish to replace first. Unless you are looking for a reason to do the 3G swap, in which case I would replace that first.

#3 ·
What is your running voltage, sitting voltage, and key on (start) voltage at the battery?
Could be your starter going or the wiring to the starter.
If it is a slow drain on the battery (I doubt it) you can put a meter on the batt. and pull fuses one by one to find your drain.

#4 ·
Did you install the battery yourself? If not, double check all of the connections. Check the usual culprits, dome light on, brake lights sticking on, parking lights on.
Take the battery back to where you got it and have them charge it and check it out for you. It is rare but you can get one that will not hold a charge.
If all of that stuff checks out okay, your alternator or voltage regulator needs to be checked out. Not sure if your voltage regulator is separate from the alternator or not. Most autozones will do this for free or your local shop will probably check it for free also.
Good luck, I am sure more knowledgable owners will chime in to help you out.

#8 ·
There was a new battery put in mine the day I bought it. Next day it wouldn't start. If I so much as touched the positive cable, it would start.

I scraped the inside of the connector and that helped for a few days, but then it started doing it again. I took the connector off to replace it with a new one and tons of corrosion dust from the old battery fell out from between the copper wires.

I re-cut the wire and attached a new gold plated connector and it has been well ever since.

#9 ·
i am thinking that might be it too. my old battery was very corroded and the wires look nasty. I am going to start off with replacing the battery cables and starter selenoid. The wires need to be replaced anyhow, and the start selenoid is cheap and is the original one so i am sure after 18 yrs of starting the truck it is a little worn.

#10 ·
well i am going to go with i need new battery cables. my buddy just stopped by so i had him going out to the truck and try to start it while i stared at the dark engine bay! When he turn the starter clicked and a big spark ball shot out of the positive battery terminal/wire connection.

#13 ·
well I was worried about the snow and getting stuck in my mustang so i went home for lunch(which i never do!) and just cut off the end of the positive cables and remounted them in the terminal for the battery and she started right up! so at least now it is running and I am not under the gun to get this fixed. so i will be able to take my time and bang it out this weekend.

thanks for all the advice guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.