Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went a drove a 95 bronco today that i was thinking about driving. when i came to a stop and took off again it had a clunk in it. i got under it and had a friend go from drive to reverse and could not tell where it was comming from. it sounded like a rear end when i was driving and a t-case when i was under it. also when i put it into four-wheel-drive and drove it was fine, but when i locked the hubs it had a bad vibration when driving down the road. i said something to the guy that owns it and he said he asked a mechanic about the clunk and was told that they all do that and not to worry about it. what do you all think about what it could be. it is a good price for the rig but not if i have to drop 2 or 3 more grand into it right after i get it. thanks dave

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
they all do not clunk mine doesnt clunk. it used to, but it was a loose mount and worn out rivets. also it could be the u joints. as far as the vibration were you on dry land. you are not supposed to do that, it could be a driveshaft p[roblem all not that big of a deal to fix

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Might want to lube the slip joint and see if that fixes it. Also while your under there look for loose bolts on the tranny crossmember and broken engine mounts or tranny mount.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
:stupid It sounds like the slip joint to me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was on dry land but i had never heard of that before. though you could have it in four wheel drive when ever you wanted so you could go when you wanted to go. it only vibrated when the hubs were locked too. when i got into it to drive it the thing was allready in 4high. when i had a heep years ago it never acted like this one did. i did not notice anything loose. when my friend was going from drive to reverse there was no jumping of anything either as i was looking for eccesive movement of anything down there. if you just let off the gas and got back on it it did not do it, only if you came to a complete stop did it clunk when you left a total stop.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
4x4 isnt made for dry pavement..Regardless of the vehicle. Sounds like the slip joint is locked up, Id drop the rear driveshaft and lube the joint real good.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Yeah, I should have known someone would throw in a basturd 203 :goodfinge So to refrase myself...a part time 4x4 vehicle isnt meant for dry pavement.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Full time is gay! :goodfinge

Actually, I think it's great on a pure work truck; less sh!t to break . . .

How fast were you going with the hubs locked? 55 is about all they will put up with without protest. You should never lock 'em on dry pavement unless you are going straight though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was in a parking lot just to see if the 4 wheel drive worked. i was in the back of the lot locked the hubs and did a circle left and right. then went straight and got to about 15mph, got the viberation and stoped unlocked the hubs put into 2 wheel and took it back.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
MikE2 said:
Might want to lube the slip joint and see if that fixes it. Also while your under there look for loose bolts on the tranny crossmember and broken engine mounts or tranny mount.

Thats my vote also.

As far as the viberation.....well there aint too many things that will cause it, and 90% of them are easy and inexpensive to fix.

If the unit has low miles.....the body is clean and rust free, and the frame is clean and straight, its worth looking at if the price is right.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Hopper said:
Full time is gay! :goodfinge
After having a full time truck, I have to say full time is the best. And at even 90 MPH its totally transparent.
I wish I could have ordered my SD with a full time T-case

1 - 12 of 12 Posts