Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know it's a nopar but i was curious. i came across a powerwagon that seems to be a 79 and was curious. it's got a solid axle but 5 lug rims. at least in the back the front have dog dishes covering the bolts.

also what engine could it have the 318 or a 360 (open it up right?) or tranny for that matter?
the paint is funny it's white and black two tone with yellow trim (black on the bottom) but at the back of the cab and the front of the bed, the black does a verticle strip thingie. it also says powerwagon on the side of the bed. it also has a white rollbar in the bed. it's in pretty bad shape but it's been sitting there awhile (might have answered my question with it's looks).

if you guys tell me to leave and go to a mopar site, i'll understand. i was just looking at expanding my options. the reason i'm asking is i don't wanna start prying open this truck cuz i'm uncertain about who owns it and don't wanna find out unless i can offer or get a better look in the daytime at it.

any help would be great...
thanks, wally

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
i looked at a 79 power wagon. it had a 440 magnum. it had full time 4x4. and rode like a tank. it had 35's on it with stock suspension.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Unless it's an SE, it won't be stock with a 440. it will most likely have a 318. If it's an automatic, it'll be a 727 (good tranny), if it's a 4spd, it'll be an NP435... I'm unsure if it had a second option for a 4spd. I can't remember what the rear axle is, if it's an 8 3/4" with a dropout 3rd member, or if it's a 9 1/4", with an octagon-shaped diff cover. both are good axles. Front axle is a D44, low pinion. You said the fornt had the dog dish covers on... did you see the hub dial in there? If not, it's a semi-float front axle. It works, but not ideal, IMO. Wheel bolt pattern is a small 5 on 5

There's alot of good info, and people, at www.ramchargercentral.com

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, the front dishes didn't have holes for any locking hubs if it helps any. i thought the tran might be a 727 but i didn't know if any others were available. which is better full floating or semi? i know full is better to have for towing or hauling but this is in the front.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
It had better be a damn good price, and plan on swapping out the front axle for a newer year axle. IIRC, a Chevy D44 will bolt right in, and you own't have to worry about finding a dodge D44 that doesn't have the vacuum-actuated axle-disconnect... you just get to deal with a 6 lug bolt pattern :toothless There are options out there for the front axle, but that stock one won't be good for anything but a spare diff, inner axle shafts and tie rod

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no price listed or any for sale signs, but i'm curious about it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts