Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i did the sixliter tune up yesterday (wires cap rotor coil plugs gapped at 55) but havnt bumped the timing up yet.

i have a 92 5.0/302 automatic 300,000 miles

so today i drove to 7/11 and when i got back into the thing it wouldnt start. it would crank just fine but it wouldnt catch. this has never happened befor so it must have somthing to do with what i had just done to the thing. what could i have messed up?

i cant reproduce the issue again for some reason but im sure it will happen again. i would like to know if there is any diagnosis procedure that i should do next time it happens.

any input would be appreciated thanks.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
you did upgrade the coil, right?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
with out any voltage ref. the fuel pump will stop pumping
(pip signal)
could u clarify that im not sure i know what would kill a voltage referance.
funny u should say that cause the first thing i thought was fuel pump except for the fact that it has been fine for 300,000 miles and right after i **** with it i cant get it to start lol.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
I had an issue with my Mallory MSD. After warrantying my third one and showing the parts guy it was hooked up correctly, I bought the MSD brand like what I had originaly. It cost an extra 80 dollars IIRC and I haven't had a problem since, about 2 years.

The next time it happens, just bypass the MSD. If it works then you found the problem. Get some wires premade with the propper connectors so you can do it without mickey mousing it.

·
a renegade of funk
3,241 Posts
could u clarify that im not sure i know what would kill a voltage referance.
funny u should say that cause the first thing i thought was fuel pump except for the fact that it has been fine for 300,000 miles and right after i **** with it i cant get it to start lol.

with out a voltage signal from the distributor the comp shuts off the fuel pump, my thought is that maybe you had bumped the connection loose, but like waltnut said it could be a problem with the coil.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had an issue with my Mallory MSD. After warrantying my third one and showing the parts guy it was hooked up correctly, I bought the MSD brand like what I had originaly. It cost an extra 80 dollars IIRC and I haven't had a problem since, about 2 years.

The next time it happens, just bypass the MSD. If it works then you found the problem. Get some wires premade with the propper connectors so you can do it without mickey mousing it.
ok so just swap out the msd coil with my old one if it happens again and see what happens right? sad that the old ignition has never failed me, but the fancy msd coil cap & rotor act up like this (if thats the issue).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
with out a voltage signal from the distributor the comp shuts off the fuel pump, my thought is that maybe you had bumped the connection loose, but like waltnut said it could be a problem with the coil.
ok i will check all the wires around the distributor tomorrow to make sure nothing is lose. after all i was climbing around in the engine bay and sitting on the radiator when i was working on the beast.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Hold on, I may have gotten side tracked here. You upgraded the coil. When you mentioned MSD, I started thinking of the problems I had with my MSD unit

which is a seperate issue.

You should however test your coil using the Haynes manual which has a procedure for testing it as well as your wires and it could be your PIP, which is located at the distributor and the Haynes manual has a test procedure for that as well. I've had that go on me a while back.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Does it start now? Did it throw a code? Mine used to do this all the time. i could drive to the store come back out and it wouldt start. Tested everything, Ignition, fuel, charging, etc. Well i got to the nuts and bolts an started tested sensors and what not, and i had a bad ECT sensor. I scanned for codes and sure as shit it stored one that said the ECT was out of range. replaced that and never had a problem. I should have scanned for codes first but i didnt cause im a fvcktard

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes it starts just fine now. it only happened once so far. i will check codes when i get a chance.

i did check all connectors at the coil as well as on the distributor as well and evertrthing was a ok.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Not trying to be a fvktard, but are you sure firing order is right? I am with them, I do not like Mallory, say stay with MSD. Make sure the coil is #8227, also, did you undo the spout? I know you did not bump timing yet, but maybe in putting on the new hat?

I know, its basic, but then so am I.

BTW, unhook the negative terminal on the battery for 15 minutes and repull codes.....

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
You didn't use platinum plugs did you Berkdog ?;)

I've heard of coil wires popping out, distributor hold down clips popping off and the most common by far is the wires not all where they should oughta be:toothless

Sixlitre

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You didn't use platinum plugs did you Berkdog ?;)

I've heard of coil wires popping out, distributor hold down clips popping off and the most common by far is the wires not all where they should oughta be:toothless

Sixlitre
no sir i didnt use any fancy plugs just the regular autolite coppers.
firing order is a-ok the truck runs just fine (minus the no start yesterday)

could be really bad coincidence and the fuel pump is just dieing....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts