Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

20361 - 20380 of 22021 Posts

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
4,607 Posts
Broke something....

Backstory:
Driving in 4WD due to no rear driveshaft.
HMMWV tires on factory TTB Dana 44.

Waiting to make a left turn/front tires already turned/oncoming traffic waved me to go/quickly pressed throttle/instant SNAP......

I press throttle again; only rev'ed engine, not moving.

Construction crew helped pull my Bronco home (down the street).

Crawl under:
Front driveshaft appears to be intact.
Tried to turn, felt like it should.

Front axle's left/center-right/and right U-joints 'appears' to be intact.

Start engine/shift into drive/press throttle/ Weeeeeeeee with a fast clicking sound/not moving.

Turn off engine.

My only other nOOB thought is that I snapped the T-case chain.

Thoughts/suggestions/opinions are welcomed.
Have someone look underneath at the front driveshaft while you try to drive forward. If it’s rotating, it’s not the chain. Or, unlock the hubs and with the trans in park and the tcase in 4HI, try to manually turn the front driveshaft - if you can rotate it, could be a broken chain. Chock the wheels beforehand.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,908 Posts
Have someone look underneath at the front driveshaft while you try to drive forward. If it’s rotating, it’s not the chain.

Or, unlock the hubs and with the trans in park and the tcase in 4HI, try to manually turn the front driveshaft - if you can rotate it, could be a broken chain. Chock the wheels beforehand.
CHECK. THIS. OUT:
Went out to unlocked the hubs; noticed driverside hubs assembly is very loose and missing two of six bolts.

Can it be.................???

Tighten bolts and replaced one bolt.

Started her up (Bronco is parked on the street)/shifted into Drive/drove her/parked her in my carport.....................

A very loose lockout hub disengaged (popped out) the drive axle?

·
Registered
79 bronco ranger XLT 4 speed manual with a stock 351m
19 Posts
Took her in for a car wash and busted the trim off of the passenger side... Just changed the oil and I'm going to try to get this trim back on as easily as possible... Wish me luck.

·
Registered
79 bronco ranger XLT 4 speed manual with a stock 351m
19 Posts
Grandson helping out. Learning to cut and butt wire. We swam first.
Good stuff, gramps! I have 3 daughters- 9,11 and 12... I got em out working on mini bikes, go karts, broncos, jeeps... Cant wait til one of em gives me a grandson.

·
Registered
96 XLT, 5.8, E4OD, Auto 4x4, Mile Marker, 4in lift with 35's
106 Posts
Went to car wash, on the way back sitting in back of this little car lot there is a 91 Silver Anniversary just sitting there. Paint is faded,tailgate has rust,wheel wells has very little rust. It already has a 4in lift, but looks like monkeys chewed the front seats. Looks like I'm going to a car lot tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco, 351w, Edelbrock aluminum top end, Holley 600, 4" BDS lift, 35" Maxxis Razr's, stuff..
2,650 Posts
Grandson helping out. Learning to cut and butt wire. We swam first.
There you have it - it does not get any better than that. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
New project?
Nope, I broke down about 90 miles from home... the icm is starting to go. Then when it cooled down power steering pump let go... then the pig decided to let out the coolant all over the ground. And all this harmed 10 minutes before the part stores closed... so AAA to the rescue

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,044 Posts
Got the transfer case back in.....
694786F4-F00C-4FE9-A0EB-82A6AF757ED5.jpeg

And drove it home.
A4CF4F09-63BF-4E42-AC6C-2C6718CD630F.jpeg

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
1,069 Posts
Removed my brand new, not reman AC compressor as it sounded like it was about to explode. I get the replacement tomorrow. I also removed my 14 month old 75 amp alternator as it died yesterday. 12 month warranty. I called Summit, where I bought it, explained the situation and asked if they could offer anything to help me out. I maybe expected 50% off. They send me a new one at N/C. They exceeded my expectations. Thank you, Summi Racing.

20361 - 20380 of 22021 Posts