Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

20641 - 20667 of 20748 Posts

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,344 Posts
Got the fan and heater core replaced in Dad's '78 today. While I was mostly working on that... the old man pulled and replaced all 4 shocks. I only had to help him with 2 of 'em. Not bad for an 81 yr. old horse jockey. 👍

We'll go back at it again tomorrow. He needs to fix the accel pump on his 2 barrel carb and I'm going to replace the motor-craft temp gauge unit I installed in the block after the heads were rebuilt because it hasn't worked since. Also need to re-tighten a few coolant hoses from small leaks that have shown up since I put the engine back in. It's always somethin'. ;)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Ordered 30lb fuel injectors

·
37,344 Posts
Got Dad's rig finished up last night, mostly. Funny thing was... I hadn't finished re-connecting the heater core hoses. He finished the carb work while I was at the parts store and started the engine to check how his carb adjust worked... so when I came back, the first thing he said was "I phuked up." Obviously, coolant went all over the place. Made working on everything else a pain but stuff happens.

Eventually we got everything buttoned up. Swapped out the temp gauge and a new elec. clip end. Temp gauge works now. Getting tired of finding new motorcraft parts being worthless. We changed the oil and filter and called it a day. Unfortunately, the heater fan didn't work at all. Dad thinks the switch is unplugged behind the dash from him messing with it, so I'll let him chase that end down. Dad was sore and tired and insisted he'd take care of the heater switch himself.

Taking it easy today.

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
4,161 Posts
Figured it was worth not spending and hour at the pick and pull to buy these floor brackets for the suburban seat for $50 on eBay. The package arrived today as an empty envelope that was busted open. Fu$£^%ing great. Way to go, let’s put some heavy sh$& in a flimsy envelope and hope for the best.

Edit: seller just wrote me back and is sending a replacement set, as they have a few sets on hand. If anyone needs a set of these for less than the average $80-$100, eBay seller maxef-sales sells them for $50.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Painted some trim pieces

Reactions: BikerPepe`

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
376 Posts
Well snow chain Sunday was mostly not a failure. I bought some snow chains this fall for my Bronco because I didn't have chains for it before and bought new tires that were bigger than any of previous chains fit. We finally got enough snow to put them on and drive around the yard without tearing up the grass too much so I figured I'd make sure everything worked today before I got stuck in the mountains.

I tested them on my spare before I bought them, but I still managed to get a bad deal. They are nice heavy duty chains but I think I'm going to need to buy 4 more to have a good setup.

First, the good part. I am able to make two of the four chains work. The little bit of twist in this first picture was enough to make it so I couldn't get the chains connected.

After laying them out and carefully untwisting them I was able to get two chains to close on my tires.

So, I have a couple that I can use in a pinch, but barely being able to get them fastened in my flat driveway doesn't give me high hopes on being able to get them on when I've slid off the road in deep snow in the middle of no where. The other two don't work at all. One has latches that are completely rusted solid so they can't be moved and the other doesn't even have latches, it just has two rusted quick links. One of which is rusted open and one of which is rusted closed. I've hit those all with penetrating oil and we'll see if I can get them to budge sometime. I'll have to shop and see if I can get the latches at the local hardware store where they have chain parts, at least until I can save up the chunk of cash for a nice set of vbar chains that fit better.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Finally got around to putting in the new instrument cluster bezel and tailgate window switch. Before anybody asks, it is for the trucks and not Broncos, but I am going to be moving my defrost switch (which currently isn't hooked up and I can't recall if I left it at my dad's shop or I have it in the box of misc. stuff I grabbed when I returned his Bronco and got back into mine). Moved the 4x4 switch, which was the only real holdup as I have been back in mine for almost 3 months and had bought the bezel a couple of months before that. Also finally wiped down the inside of the windshield, so I shouldn't need to cut on the dash defrost in the mornings for a little while lol

Poor bezel has had a rough life, especially with me trying to "patch" it together to work.

Decided that I didn't want the old glued together (not my handiwork) dash switch. Though it will have the cover swapped with the old one from my dad's 93 that just has been worn out on the contacts, but is more cosmetically appealing, for a backup if either of us need it (or should I run across another 92-96 for my fiancee :p)

Reactions: SRWillis

·
37,344 Posts
I wonder if a bucket of electrolysis treatment would clean 'em up enough to make 'em usable again? I have a used set myself that I just can't bring myself to use. Always paranoid they'll fly off and destroy a fender well.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Finally got around to putting in the new instrument cluster bezel and tailgate window switch. Before anybody asks, it is for the trucks and not Broncos, but I am going to be moving my defrost switch (which currently isn't hooked up and I can't recall if I left it at my dad's shop or I have it in the box of misc. stuff I grabbed when I returned his Bronco and got back into mine). Moved the 4x4 switch, which was the only real holdup as I have been back in mine for almost 3 months and had bought the bezel a couple of months before that. Also finally wiped down the inside of the windshield, so I shouldn't need to cut on the dash defrost in the mornings for a little while lol

View attachment 174797

View attachment 174798

Poor bezel has had a rough life, especially with me trying to "patch" it together to work.

View attachment 174799

Decided that I didn't want the old glued together (not my handiwork) dash switch. Though it will have the cover swapped with the old one from my dad's 93 that just has been worn out on the contacts, but is more cosmetically appealing, for a backup if either of us need it (or should I run across another 92-96 for my fiancee :p)

View attachment 174800
I had bought a truck bezel too. Where are you moving it to?

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
376 Posts
I wonder if a bucket of electrolysis treatment would clean 'em up enough to make 'em usable again? I have a used set myself that I just can't bring myself to use. Always paranoid they'll fly off and destroy a fender well.
Maybe. I'll poke at the two bad ones a bit. I'm also heading to the hardware store. I'm assuming it's a regional thing, but the Ace hardware here stocks chain parts so you can repair or maybe build your own. I'll see about adding a couple of links so there's a little more space to fasten them if something isn't perfectly aligned and see if I can just buy new fasteners/clips for the frozen and missing ones.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
513 Posts
I had bought a truck bezel too. Where are you moving it to?
Going to make a mount to put it in that cubby hole where I moved the 4x4 switch, since that keeps it nearby and easily accessible, and I don't store anything in there anymore. Had started to work on it a year ago, but then shortly after I had my wreck and haven't gotten back to finishing up the design (was working on matching curves, but now I have a cheap radius gauge set to help out) to make it with my 3d printer. One of several minor projects I have to work on, like my U150 fender emblems lol.

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
Started Farmhand up and took it for a run yesterday to make sure it was ready for hell freezing over this week. Glad I did. Already got 2+ ft snowdrifts in my driveway. (My driveway is about 10 feet long with a 3 foot rise to the garage, so you do the math on the snowdrift.)
I'm already planning on not going to work tomorrow, since its an hour commute on NORMAL days. Fortunately, WFH is an option, so no time off.
Hopefully the wife will let me make a grocery run tomorrow so I can have some fun!

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
Drove it yesterday to do an "emergency" supply run. Hey, I call getting McDs for the wife an emergency!
Anyways, Farmhand handled great in the snow, though I now realize I need a new steering box. I MAY try to tighten it up a bit more, but I'm not sure. And before anybody points it out, my rag joint is SOLID! I tried replacing it over the summer, and it was tight as can be!
Also remembered that 30 year old plastic pieces are BRITTLE, especially at these temps! Pushed a little too hard on the 4X4 button and pushed the button assembly into the housing! I'm planning on 3D printing a new lower bezel anyways, so this just puts a bit more urgency on things.
Also realized I HAVE to get a handle on my battery drain issue and replace my battery. The low volts were making it difficult to get into 4WD and esspecially hard to get it into 4-Low.

Reactions: SRWillis and cwegga

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
have to put a new negative battery terminal on today. old one broke while putting new battery in. bought the x2 from batteries and bulbs. so far so good,,,

·
Premium Member
1995 Bronco XLT
140 Posts
Drove it yesterday to do an "emergency" supply run. Hey, I call getting McDs for the wife an emergency!
Anyways, Farmhand handled great in the snow, though I now realize I need a new steering box. I MAY try to tighten it up a bit more, but I'm not sure. And before anybody points it out, my rag joint is SOLID! I tried replacing it over the summer, and it was tight as can be!
Also remembered that 30 year old plastic pieces are BRITTLE, especially at these temps! Pushed a little too hard on the 4X4 button and pushed the button assembly into the housing! I'm planning on 3D printing a new lower bezel anyways, so this just puts a bit more urgency on things.
Also realized I HAVE to get a handle on my battery drain issue and replace my battery. The low volts were making it difficult to get into 4WD and esspecially hard to get it into 4-Low.
If you 3d print it make a couple extra I am sure myself and others would be interested :)
If you are having those 4wd (electronic) selection problems while it is running it's more than a battery issue.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
14,099 Posts
Installing the JBG hydraulic clutch firewall reinforcement plate. Will be following with a new clutch master, braided stainless line, and slave that have been gravity bleeding for like 4 months or more lol

20210218_144107.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
If you 3d print it make a couple extra I am sure myself and others would be interested :)
If you are having those 4wd (electronic) selection problems while it is running it's more than a battery issue.
I'll be sure make a few extras. I can make them in any color you want, so long as you want it in grey.

Once its warmed up, and that alternator has the battery at full charge, I don't have any issues. Its right after I start it up, when the battery has just barely enough charge to start the engine that I have problems.
And I know the battery is bad. My charger has a test function and it always says the battery is bad.

Reactions: cwegga and latvius

·
Registered
96 XLT, 5.8, E4OD, Auto 4x4, Mile Marker, 4in lift with 35's
73 Posts
Went out this morning to start the Bronco while I was using the snow blower to clean the driveway after last nights 7 inches of snow. Got the drive way cleared and noticed the fogged windows in the Bronco. Opened the passengers door and there was anti freeze all over the floor mat! Took the wife's jeep and bought a new one but with it being 28 degrees it will wait till tomorrow!

·
Registered
96 XLT, 5.8, E4OD, Auto 4x4, Mile Marker, 4in lift with 35's
73 Posts
Went out this morning to start the Bronco while I was using the snow blower to clean the driveway after last nights 7 inches of snow. Got the drive way cleared and noticed the fogged windows in the Bronco. Opened the passengers door and there was anti freeze all over the floor mat! Took the wife's jeep and bought a new one but with it being 28 degrees it will wait till tomorrow!
Bought a new heater core!!!

20641 - 20667 of 20748 Posts