Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
22201 - 22220 of 22281 Posts

·
Registered
1990 EB, 5.0
399 Posts
Sometimes after the engine has been warmed up and driven for awhile on the highway I'll come to a stoplight and it'll die on me. Then starts right back up with no problems for the rest of the drive. Today replaced the IAC and gasket to see if that's the culprit. Also inspected the EGR sensor and noticed one of the pins came out into the connector. So ordered a new sensor to replace tomorrow. Minor issues, but gives me a chance to fix something, and I do like fixin stuff!
bronco.jpg

·
Premium Member
93 XLT 347, GT40 Heads, Bassani headers/exhaust, E4OD
1,685 Posts
Wish I had my camera, but caught this with my mobil…

In the blue circle, a Bald Eagle sitting on a log in the James River, just up from the Huguenot Flat Water.

Beautiful day to be out cruising in the Bronco and scouting the next canoe trip.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,928 Posts
Sometimes after the engine has been warmed up and driven for awhile on the highway I'll come to a stoplight and it'll die on me. Then starts right back up with no problems for the rest of the drive. Today replaced the IAC and gasket to see if that's the culprit. Also inspected the EGR sensor and noticed one of the pins came out into the connector. So ordered a new sensor to replace tomorrow. Minor issues, but gives me a chance to fix something, and I do like fixin stuff!
Had a similar issue long ago in my old '89. TPS was the culprit on my end.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
15,637 Posts
Reactions: aintskeerd

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, built 357W, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
4,753 Posts
First startup! Running pretty good considering it’s not tuned. I have to go into the drivers side rocker cover and adjust a rocker that’s tapping. I am a little concerned with the smoke though. It’s more white than blue so I’m worried that I have coolant leaking into a cylinder. More investigation needed. Does anyone think that the smoke could be antiseize burning off of the exposed threads of spark plugs inside the cylinder? It doesn't have that sweet coolant smell - it kinda stinks.

Small video of the exhaust. I’ll have another video of the actual startup shortly. @sackman9975 took that video.

Startup from under the hood:

·
Registered
1990 EB, 5.0
399 Posts
Had a similar issue long ago in my old '89. TPS was the culprit on my end.
So far things are running good with the new egr sensor and new IAC. Made sure to get the Motorcraft IAC as I've had issues with other brands on other broncos. If it happens again the TPS is the next logical step.

Reactions: BikerPepe`

·
The Tennessee Warden
4,753 Posts
Number 7 intake rocker was loose - adjusted it and cranked it up. Running great and sounds bada$$!! Still some smoke from the grease on the header collector/ y pipe connections, but that is burning off slowly.

Edit: took it for a test drive. With the stock MAF and tune, it’s running waaaayyyy to rich with those 24# injectors. It’s sucking more air that the MAF can’t measure, and the pcm still “thinks” the 19# injectors are installed. I know a local guy that will bring me a 90 mm Cobra MAF sensor (plug and play) and he has the ability to tune the stock pcm to manage this new setup. THEN - I should be good to go. The smoke from the grease has cleared up also.

·
Man of endless projects
9,643 Posts

·
Registered
'96 Bronco 5.8L. 2.5" Tuff Country lift w/ extended radius arms, 33" Duratracs. Saginaw swap.
32 Posts
Installed my new Desolate Motorsports Saginaw pump bracket. This thing is beefy and very well made. Much better than the cast E-150 bracket and about the same price from people selling on eBay. Plus I didn't have to hunt a junk yard or search online. This just made the Saginaw upgrade a one-click process.
Man I have been SEARCHING for you! Lol. I am doing the exact same kit on my Bronco and I had a couple questions...

1) Am I meant to toss the old return line and just use the short piece of return line provided to go from the gear box directly to the pump? Will that hinder the cooling of the power steering fluid? Is there anything wrong with using my old return line?

2) Why should I not be using ATF? I've seen quite a few folks do these saginaw swaps and continue to use Ford's recommended ATF. What fluid did you use and approx. how much?

Thanks so much.

·
The Tennessee Warden
4,753 Posts
Man I have been SEARCHING for you! Lol. I am doing the exact same kit on my Bronco and I had a couple questions...

1) Am I meant to toss the old return line and just use the short piece of return line provided to go from the gear box directly to the pump? Will that hinder the cooling of the power steering fluid? Is there anything wrong with using my old return line?

2) Why should I not be using ATF? I've seen quite a few folks do these saginaw swaps and continue to use Ford's recommended ATF. What fluid did you use and approx. how much?

Thanks so much.
I’ll pipe up here - you can use your original cooling line - I’d recommend flushing it thoroughly with some fresh ATF. I used a manual pump to flush it clean. For me, I did away with it and installed an aftermarket transmission cooler for the power steering system.

Ford called for Type F ATF in their pumps. I’ve been using it in my Saginaw pump with no issues. I also installed a magnetic in-line oil filter. Fluid volume will likely be a bit over a quart. I have an external cooler and lots of oil line and it was almost 2 qts.

·
Registered
'96 Bronco 5.8L. 2.5" Tuff Country lift w/ extended radius arms, 33" Duratracs. Saginaw swap.
32 Posts
I’ll pipe up here - you can use your original cooling line - I’d recommend flushing it thoroughly with some fresh ATF. I used a manual pump to flush it clean. For me, I did away with it and installed an aftermarket transmission cooler for the power steering system.

Ford called for Type F ATF in their pumps. I’ve been using it in my Saginaw pump with no issues. I also installed a magnetic in-line oil filter. Fluid volume will likely be a bit over a quart. I have an external cooler and lots of oil line and it was almost 2 qts.
thanks a bunch, man. Yeah it was confusing that desolate included that new low pressure return line… they also stated in all caps: DO NOT USE ATF. So I’m just sitting here scratching my head….

·
Registered
32 Posts

can you tell me which specific filter you used?

·
The Tennessee Warden
4,753 Posts
Had a guy come over today to do a custom tune on my Bronco with the new engine. He got the file ready and uploaded and we went to crank, and nothing. Wouldn’t turn over. I was freaking out. Wtf?!

I couldn’t even turn the engine at the crank.

So he left, and said to call him back when I figure out the issue. I spent some time thinking about it. I think ok-…..maybe it’s a timing/compression issue not letting the engine turn with so much compression. I start pulling plugs, starting at 5. I pull 6 and fuel pours out.

Jesus! Bad injector apparently. Cylinder was FULL of fuel, which is why the engine wouldn’t turn - can’t compress liquid like that.

So, now I need to replace that injector and change the oil, because that fuel for sure leaked past the rings and got into the crankcase.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Got the old gir in gararge finally pulled a/c compressor off took all linrd loose pulled all o-rings flushed sytem and got a good bath. Inalled new compressor o-rigrd all lines new dryer even instslling shortehed belt (smog pump was locked up and it fell off) so new shortehed belt. Got vacumn pump out so sucked iy down see how it holds overnite. Changed oil using Purple power and filter. found the seats I wanted ywo buckets crnter console and back seat going to recover inoak tree material, then on to shocks this bull bounces after stopping a copule minutes supossed to be guad shock I am lucki I have 1 in ea position all leaking, whats best shocks to put on there are so many🥵

·
The Tennessee Warden
4,753 Posts
Had a guy come over today to do a custom tune on my Bronco with the new engine. He got the file ready and uploaded and we went to crank, and nothing. Wouldn’t turn over. I was freaking out. Wtf?!

I couldn’t even turn the engine at the crank.

So he left, and said to call him back when I figure out the issue. I spent some time thinking about it. I think ok-…..maybe it’s a timing/compression issue not letting the engine turn with so much compression. I start pulling plugs, starting at 5. I pull 6 and fuel pours out.

Jesus! Bad injector apparently. Cylinder was FULL of fuel, which is why the engine wouldn’t turn - can’t compress liquid like that.

So, now I need to replace that injector and change the oil, because that fuel for sure leaked past the rings and got into the crankcase.
Yep - fuel was in the oil pan. Got it all drained out and new oil filter. Headed out to the junkyard to find a replacement 24# injector from a 5.4L and pick up 6 qts of oil.

Here’s a little piston ring break in mess for ya, from my magnetic oil drain plug.

22201 - 22220 of 22281 Posts