Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
22241 - 22260 of 22281 Posts

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, built 357W, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
4,753 Posts
I wrapped the intake MAF duct with insulation tape. I doubt it will actually do much to keep air cooler - I doubt it heats up much in that short 2’ of duct, really. What I actually DO like about it though, is that it keeps my hands clean when I touch it instead of leaving my hands looking like I just loaded a charcoal grill by hand.

I advanced my ignition timing to 12° BTDC - it feels like it would like it. I adjusted the throttle stop screw on the BBK, because the butterfly valves were closing too far and “sticking” a bit. Fixed now. I also need to stop at O’reilly’s and pick up a longer brake vacuum hose and a new oil filter and oil for the next oil change in a couple hundred miles.

·
Registered
95 EB 5.8
87 Posts
Over the last few days, I have started the process of replacing the carpet. But, that led me to doing other stuff first in an effort to get it ready and done correctly. First step was, I had to find where water was coming in. Turns out, it was the drip rails / seams. I wire wheeled the previous sealer, then used the 3M seam sealer. It turned out good. No more leaks. For the carpet, I purchased the ACC Essex kit with the mass backing. I managed to get the interior out and only broke 2 of the bolts for the backseat. Drilling those out was a ton of fun. Once I got all of the interior out, I started laying the Kilmat down. I went with the 80 mil. It went down pretty easy. I also went ahead and replaced the speakers since I was already there with the panels off. I had replaced the front ones a week ago or so when I had to replace the drivers side window motor. On an unrelated note, the engineers at Ford should be punished for their placement of the motor. Who puts dimples where you need to drill the door, but doesn't actually drill the door? I went with some kicker speakers. That led to me replacing the headunit as well seeing as how I hate holding the phone and wanted a bluetooth head unit. Sp. with all of that, I will start installing the carpet tomorrow now that the sound deadner is all down. Hopefully all goes well. Not looking forward to making the cuts as I am a bit nervous about screwing that up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
457 Posts
Well, my heat wrap came in from Summit so I got to putting that on my fuel line. The only reliability problem I have with my rig is on hot days, greater than 95 F, 35 C or so It wants to die if I ever end up idling in place like at stop lights or drive throughs, or if I park it and then restart and go a few minutes later. I've already installed a carb spacer to help insulate, so the next cheap thing to do before I buy a fuel regulator and set up a return system was buy heat sheathing and install it.

I installed it from where the hardline attaches on the driver's front crossmember, to the plastic (need to replace) fuel filter, to the water seperator, to the fuel pump, along the hardline from the fuel pump to the top of the engine, and along the last bit of rubber line to the carb. I guess I'll start driving in the heat and see if it still gives me problems. Bad news is, at least half of the heat shrink ends I put on to cap the sheathing and make it look tidy have fallen slipped off already. I guess I need heatshrink with glue in it. Also I found the plastic fuel filter that hadn't triggered my mind yet, but needs to be replaced with a more durable metal one. Good news is, this may help with reliability, and while I was underneath, I found one of my power steering bolts was backed out and rubbing on the power steering pulley so I was able to tighten that back up and hopefully avert disaster.

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, built 357W, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
4,753 Posts
Over the last few days, I have started the process of replacing the carpet. But, that led me to doing other stuff first in an effort to get it ready and done correctly. First step was, I had to find where water was coming in. Turns out, it was the drip rails / seams. I wire wheeled the previous sealer, then used the 3M seam sealer. It turned out good. No more leaks. For the carpet, I purchased the ACC Essex kit with the mass backing. I managed to get the interior out and only broke 2 of the bolts for the backseat. Drilling those out was a ton of fun. Once I got all of the interior out, I started laying the Kilmat down. I went with the 80 mil. It went down pretty easy. I also went ahead and replaced the speakers since I was already there with the panels off. I had replaced the front ones a week ago or so when I had to replace the drivers side window motor. On an unrelated note, the engineers at Ford should be punished for their placement of the motor. Who puts dimples where you need to drill the door, but doesn't actually drill the door? I went with some kicker speakers. That led to me replacing the headunit as well seeing as how I hate holding the phone and wanted a bluetooth head unit. Sp. with all of that, I will start installing the carpet tomorrow now that the sound deadner is all down. Hopefully all goes well. Not looking forward to making the cuts as I am a bit nervous about screwing that up.
Have a nice sharp box blade ready - you will likely need to trim the edges of the carpet to fit. Unfold it and let it sit out in the sun for an hour or two before you start - it’s not exactly easy to manipulate. Nice job!

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,928 Posts
seriously bud?!? ya damn tease! She's looking good but I wanna see some detailed pics on that camper setup. is that one of the hard to find Bronco designs or did you DIY it up?

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,917 Posts
seriously bud?!? ya damn tease! She's looking good but I wanna see some detailed pics on that camper setup. is that one of the hard to find Bronco designs or did you DIY it up?
Thanks.

nOOB question:
What forum would I start a thread in to detail said metamorphosis?

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,928 Posts
oh... my. I can see some serious changes in that pic. This one or the Builds thread should be fine... depending on how detailed you plan to get or how many pics you took during the build, since it's already set up.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
15,637 Posts
Here's another angle/pic until I start thread on it:

View attachment 182536
Looks like you moved the rear axle back about 8"? When is the front going 8 lug? Is that what the super 60 is for?

Looks like you have room under the lip of the rear, behind the tailgate, for some Jerry can holders instead of the ratchet strap front carrier

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
15,637 Posts
I wrapped the intake MAF duct with insulation tape. I doubt it will actually do much to keep air cooler - I doubt it heats up much in that short 2’ of duct, really. What I actually DO like about it though, is that it keeps my hands clean when I touch it instead of leaving my hands looking like I just loaded a charcoal grill by hand.

I advanced my ignition timing to 12° BTDC - it feels like it would like it. I adjusted the throttle stop screw on the BBK, because the butterfly valves were closing too far and “sticking” a bit. Fixed now. I also need to stop at O’reilly’s and pick up a longer brake vacuum hose and a new oil filter and oil for the next oil change in a couple hundred miles.
If you get tired of the aluminum foil look, I used header wrap on my crossover tube...

·
Addicted to Junk
15,637 Posts
Looks like its for a 8ft pickup bed. Notice where it meets the bronco cab isnt connected like a bronco model. Still cool as the other side of the pillow though!

Reactions: BikerPepe`

·
Super Moderator
28,225 Posts
Yo,
Repaired HVAC Vacuum hose.

Our #5 Son-in-law helps us quite a lot however, he moves fast while cleaning up engine bay.

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
2,098 Posts
Broke down and bought a new serpentine belt and put it on today. Cured the chirping!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Well, my heat wrap came in from Summit so I got to putting that on my fuel line. The only reliability problem I have with my rig is on hot days, greater than 95 F, 35 C or so It wants to die if I ever end up idling in place like at stop lights or drive throughs, or if I park it and then restart and go a few minutes later. I've already installed a carb spacer to help insulate, so the next cheap thing to do before I buy a fuel regulator and set up a return system was buy heat sheathing and install it.

I installed it from where the hardline attaches on the driver's front crossmember, to the plastic (need to replace) fuel filter, to the water seperator, to the fuel pump, along the hardline from the fuel pump to the top of the engine, and along the last bit of rubber line to the carb. I guess I'll start driving in the heat and see if it still gives me problems. Bad news is, at least half of the heat shrink ends I put on to cap the sheathing and make it look tidy have fallen slipped off already. I guess I need heatshrink with glue in it. Also I found the plastic fuel filter that hadn't triggered my mind yet, but needs to be replaced with a more durable metal one. Good news is, this may help with reliability, and while I was underneath, I found one of my power steering bolts was backed out and rubbing on the power steering pulley so I was able to tighten that back up and hopefully avert disaster.
An old “Hot-Rodder” trick to deal with vapor lock is to put wooden clothespins on the fuel line. One a few inches from the carb, and one by the output of the fuel filter. The cloths pins act as a heat sink drawing heat away from the fuel line…

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,141 Posts
Strapped on the kayak trailer and took the father in law to a Heroes On the Water fishing event yesterday. Been a busy day today’s so late post.
9FF42D17-F823-40DE-9712-33416F7E3E75.jpeg

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
457 Posts
Well, the second swing at gluing in my rearview mirror worked today. Technically I glued it yesterday, but I let it sit overnight and mounted the mirror this morning. The first time a couple of days ago didn't work at all, as soon as I slid the mirror over the button it popped off the glass. I went with a different brand of glue kit this time, scuffed up the glass with sandpaper first and it worked well.

·
Registered
1994 351W XLT E4OD electric 4x4 manual locking hubs
26 Posts
Finished flushing the rear brakes, installed the recall sensor and harness, ran it until it was out of fuel and got ready to drop the original fuel tank to install a replacement as the original is so rotten its leaking through the metal

22241 - 22260 of 22281 Posts