Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

7401 - 7420 of 18418 Posts

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,250 Posts
It isn't a Bronco but this is what we replaced on Dads 96' F150 last week.

We found a replacement with minimal rust issues at the parts yard for $40 I then bought a $29 needle scaler from harbor freight preped it with rust converter and sprayed it out in flat black.

I had a fairly new Modine radiator for a super engine cooling option truck we installed in addition to replacing the water pump, his truck had developed a coolant leak recently. I drove his truck to get the stuff for Kellies Bronco yesterday 450 miles round trip no leaks. I ran 68mph nearly the entire trip and recorded 20mpg average with a 5.0, E4OD driveline. I'd say it doesn't do to bad on fuel considering it had the equivalent of 3 adults up front and 300 to 600 lbs of cargo.

·
Man of endless projects
8,749 Posts
disassembled my 88s seized 351 I recently rebuilt. don't know why but a rod bearing must have spun. but didn't seize the engine so it kept spinning till it disintegrated the bearing where there was nothing left. the huge amount of clearance from the missing bearing killed the oil pressure till all the other bearings gave up and finally seized the engine.

·
Premium Member
3,948 Posts
i had the tires balance on my POS, the internal balancing beads just weren't working for me. come to find out 1 tire is out of round.. so i am looking for another Goodyear wrangler mt. its better now it doesn't shake me to death going down the road...

then started having tranny issue on the way home from salts place. overdrive light flashing and shifting hard from 1st to 2nd.... now what with just 4500 mile on the rebuilt e4od......hope its simply to fix..

i did get my motor to the house thanks to salt and slow ride for letting me use his hoist. the fun can begin after i get tranny issue figure out.....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Blow a hole in my upper rad hose, luckily near a Home Depot. Ran in and got some of that fix it all stretch tape and sealed it up enough to get it to Napa then home. Replaced crap hose with new hose.....good as new again.....

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,757 Posts
Fresh oil change today. 5 quarts of Mobil 1 10w30 with a quart of Lucas :rockon

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Not to sound too brain dead but whats the extra quart of Lucas.... Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Lucas Oil Treatment. Almost a requirement for our older engines. It helps recondition the oil seals and run more efficiently. = Better MPG. I use it every oil change.

Changed out my sparkplugs. Why? It was sunny and a good day to work on my BKO.

·
Man of endless projects
8,749 Posts
replaced the broken original tranny and motor mounts. used the JBG poly motor mounts. no more rolling engine and tranny for me

ordered a 351 EFI intake and 2 connecting rods for my 88s engine

yuck, I hate that Lucas stuff. puts too much strain on the oil pump and shaft for my liking rather have low oil pressure than break the shaft and have no pressure like it did in my old 96 original engine. also I question it running the pan dry on a good engine that isn't worn out due to pumping all the oil to the top of the engine but being to thick to drain down quick enough to replenish the pan. if you ever see one of those Lucas oil demonstration things that you crank and has the spinning gears to compare regular oil to oil with Lucas added, when you crank it look how fast the Lucas oil level drops and stays to the very bottom of the gear. last thing I would want is when I rev my engine, the pan runs dry

·
Registered
557 Posts
New plugs, MSD cap w/ rotor, wires. LOF. Topped off coolant and ATF. All weekend long baby!

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Lucas Oil Treatment. Almost a requirement for our older engines. It helps recondition the oil seals and run more efficiently. = Better MPG. I use it every oil change.

Changed out my sparkplugs. Why? It was sunny and a good day to work on my BKO.
What it really does is increase the viscosity of your oil, which isn't a good thing. If anything it will decrease the efficiency because the oil is thicker.
If that stuff helps your engine then it's already on borrowed time.

Fresh oil change today. 5 quarts of Mobil 1 10w30 with a quart of Lucas
so you spent extra for good synthetic oil then cancel out all the benefits by dumping additives with the consistency of honey in it.

Wondered why anyone would put something with the consistency of honey in their Bronco's engine.

·
Bronco Snob
1,907 Posts
Pulled off the chrome side trim and nasty mud flaps. :thumbup

Attachments

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Changed the oil with conventional oil 10w30 Vavoline and replaced the windshield wipers with GoodYear...........

·
Registered
776 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Cleaned up some wiring, replaced the radio antenna, ordered a steering box and high pressure hose, removed fog lights, degreased motor, cleaned the inside, etc...

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Called the shop to see if they found my miss. Said they have had 3 mechanics look at it and still have not found trouble....... :banghead

Good news is this time they at least see it.

·
Premium Member
3,948 Posts
I had to helicoil a couple bolt holes in the headso I could install my power steering bracket... Cant beleive a reman motor would have holes that werent repaired or checked...

7401 - 7420 of 18418 Posts