Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

9961 - 9980 of 19847 Posts

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
35,915 Posts
Crutchfield lets you shop by vehicle year/make/model, so the speakers you get fit without cutting plus they give you the wire adapters so there is no cutting/splicing.
Everything I got from them for my 95 fit perfect
I had read that... but when I went there to check it out, I didn't see any listing for the wire adapters and they were also saying 6 1/2". for the '90. Can't be 6 1/2" when the outsides of mine measure 6 1/4", from outer edge to outer edge. :shrug

I bought some cheapo replacements off eBay. :brownbag

I'll even post a pic since everyone seems to think I'm crazy...

Maybe it's something specific to my bare-bones, "Custom" model package but like I said... I set some old 6 1/2" speakers in there and they wouldn't sit properly!?! :shrug

·
Banned
38,639 Posts
I got the t-case out before it started raining again.
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/1054371

There was some glitter in the fluid.
Maybe it's something specific to my bare-bones, "Custom" model...
There were very few changes to the door skin:
- mirror attachment (probably done during assembly)
- harness knockout (probably done during assembly, and it got bigger in '94)
- '95-97 side impact bar
- lower inside vent louvers on hi-trim doors (full door panel) but not on most low-trim doors (half panel)

If the speaker size is another change, it would be good to confirm that one way or the other. But I've never had a problem transferring a speaker that fits any Bronco/F door to any other Bronco/F door. What are some measurements from your door that we can all compare?

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
35,915 Posts
As you can clearly see... the speaker is FORD OEM and it's just at/under 6 1/4".
The ones I pulled out of a stereo parts box in the garage were pioneer 6 1/2" and like I said... they didn't "seat" into the speaker hole snugly at all, so I started measuring and searching FSB. :shrug
Despite my off-hand comment, it doesn't really make sense that it would be a difference for the "custom" as the key here isn't the door panel, but the actual hole in the door frame. I'll measure and pic when I install the 6 1/4 speakers I got off eBay, just to put this "odd-ball" thing to rest. :thumbup

·
Registered
115 Posts
As you can clearly see... the speaker is FORD OEM and it's just at/under 6 1/4".
The ones I pulled out of a stereo parts box in the garage were pioneer 6 1/2" and like I said... they didn't "seat" into the speaker hole snugly at all, so I started measuring and searching FSB.

Despite my off-hand comment, it doesn't really make sense that it would be a difference for the "custom" as the key here isn't the door panel, but the actual hole in the door frame. I'll measure and pic when I install the 6 1/4 speakers I got off eBay, just to put this "odd-ball" thing to rest.
In my car audio days (paying for college) we only ever sold 5-1/4" speakers for the doors unless someone was fine with us cutting out the holes. Even then, we had to be careful with high end pieces that they weren't too deep to hit the window/guide.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Saturday I replaced water pump and radiator due to leaking, also replaced t-stat housing with a threaded unit so I can run a gauge. No broken bolts, no hassles. Worked out great.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Today I:

Replaced the old, rusted, nasty IAC with a brand spanking new OEM one

Replaced every screw in the doors with some shiny sheet metal screws, looks and holds much better now (screw those stupid plastic clips, btw)

Replaced all four stock speakers with Kenwoods up front and Clarions in the back

Replaced the multifunction switch with a brand new one

Repainted the door handles and vent window handles with trim paint

And that's about it :) :armed

·
Bronco Snob
2,101 Posts
Today I:

Replaced every screw in the doors with some shiny sheet metal screws, looks and holds much better now (screw those stupid plastic clips, btw)

Replaced all four stock speakers with Kenwoods up front and Clarions in the back

And that's about it :) :armed
That's a pretty good day of work :thumbup. I'm curious to see how your painted door handles (exterior I assume) hold up. My door handles are the only chrome piece left on my Bronco...I'm hesitant to paint them, and was planning on picking up a junkyard set and having them powder coated along with a few other select items. Although, I'm pretty impressed with how durable everything else I've bedlined/painted is. Any pics?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Today I:

And that's about it :)
That's a pretty good day of work
. I'm curious to see how your painted door handles (exterior I assume) hold up. My door handles are the only chrome piece left on my Bronco...I'm hesitant to paint them, and was planning on picking up a junkyard set and having them powder coated along with a few other select items. Although, I'm pretty impressed with how durable everything else I've bedlined/painted is. Any pics?

Be happy to take pics but I painted the interior handles not exterior handles.

I used a trim paint bought at autozone to do it and restore them to a black color from the really faded grey and white they had gone to.

It was a very solid day of work. The multifunction switch fought me a little but it was easier to do than I thought it would be.

·
Banned
38,639 Posts
I finished the t-case swap. :bday

It had no effect on the noise, and the truck will still barely push itself down the road OR back into the driveway. :brownbag I guess the rear axle is coming apart (again). :banghead

·
Registered
115 Posts
I guess the rear axle is coming apart (again).
Wow, Steve. This just doesn't sound like you. Would've really expected you to have jacked the truck up and put the thing in neutral to hand roll each wheel to determine where the noise is coming from before you drop a T-case.

·
Banned
38,639 Posts
I've been looking for an excuse & opportunity to swap the t-case since I ran it dry. But it rolls smoothly; hand-force isn't enough to cause the popping, anyway.

·
Man of endless projects
9,060 Posts
think ive seen a expensive conversion for making a FF 8.8". but honestly I much prefer converting a SF 10.25" to 5-lug. speaking of which...

got my new rear driveshaft today and installed it. no more driving around front wheel drive and I can finally try out my new 5-lug converted 10.25". tho the 3.73 gears may not be much different than 3.55, it seems to handle higher speeds easier. still need to reprogram my PSOM but I think its getting better MPG now

9961 - 9980 of 19847 Posts