I reinstalled the shackles and brackets today, but I still need to torque down the leaf spring bolts. I also finished installing the new receiver hitch. I also figured out where I'm going to relocate the 7 pin trailer plug, since the hitch occupies the same space as the factory plug location.The previous owners apparently had the rear spring shackles and brackets replaced, which isn't surprising, since they always rot out. What was surprising though was the half assed way they did it. The brackets have four bolts that bolt them to the frame. Two of the bolts are difficult to access and basically require dropping the gas tank to get to them. Well, the guy who did it was too lazy to drop the tank, so he bolted the brackets on one side, and tack welded the brackets to the frame on the difficult side.
So since I already have the gas tank out anyway, I decided to fix the brackets too. The welds were so crappy it took about two minutes to grind them down and pop the brackets off. I cleaned up the brackets and painted them. I didn't have time to reinstall them. I also finished painting the underside where the gas tank goes. And finally, I also drilled holes in the frame for my new receiver hitch.