Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

10021 - 10040 of 18416 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
The previous owners apparently had the rear spring shackles and brackets replaced, which isn't surprising, since they always rot out. What was surprising though was the half assed way they did it. The brackets have four bolts that bolt them to the frame. Two of the bolts are difficult to access and basically require dropping the gas tank to get to them. Well, the guy who did it was too lazy to drop the tank, so he bolted the brackets on one side, and tack welded the brackets to the frame on the difficult side.

So since I already have the gas tank out anyway, I decided to fix the brackets too. The welds were so crappy it took about two minutes to grind them down and pop the brackets off. I cleaned up the brackets and painted them. I didn't have time to reinstall them. I also finished painting the underside where the gas tank goes. And finally, I also drilled holes in the frame for my new receiver hitch.
I reinstalled the shackles and brackets today, but I still need to torque down the leaf spring bolts. I also finished installing the new receiver hitch. I also figured out where I'm going to relocate the 7 pin trailer plug, since the hitch occupies the same space as the factory plug location.

·
6,593 Posts
I bought another one, :doh0715:. Who wants to see pictures?
Well, of course. It's not like you don't have effall to do in your life.:histerica:rofl::haha
You are so correct Andy it's scary :goodfinge

:thumbup

It's a 1978 Bronco with a 400 and c6. It's been sitting for a while and the po just didn't get around to getting it going again. I was not in the market for one but he stopped by and offered it to me for 800. Said at 70 yo he needed to get ride of some of his toys. It's all there, bumpers, trim, grill (not installed currently) an extra gate, 9" axle, d44 axle, two extra bucket seats, extra hd radiator, 2 extra doors.

PO says he thinks the 9" currently under truck spun a bearing hense the extra 9" and the "jack wagon" he bought it from sunk the 44 and filled it with water hense the extra 44. So I'm going to take a look at those issues and then move on to getting it running and go from there.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,443 Posts
[379sinvb]You are so correct Andy it's scary.:goodfinge[]

In my life, so much more true, I end up scaring myself. It's like I took a gander in the mirror.:shocked

·
Premium Member
34,509 Posts
It's a 1978 Bronco with a 400 and c6. It's been sitting for a while and the po just didn't get around to getting it going again. I was not in the market for one but he stopped by and offered it to me for 800. Said at 70 yo he needed to get ride of some of his toys. It's all there, bumpers, trim, grill (not installed currently) an extra gate, 9" axle, d44 axle, two extra bucket seats, extra hd radiator, 2 extra doors.
Looks like a great start for a serious trail raper! :rockon

I didn't do anything today. Hell... I'm still in the wheelchair this afternoon, goofing about online, instead of enjoying this beautiful day for a ride. :brownbag

I did receive an unexpected gift for my Bronco lift this afternoon though.
UPS truck showed up, unexpectedly and dropped off a gift from sloride75/Mark.

I met up with Mark a couple weeks back to pick up some of his old 4" lift parts. He had just moved up to WA and had some problems finding all the brackets but he cut me a great deal on what he did have and I was happy to get a little closer to my lift and meet another good guy off the forum.

So today... UPS shows up with an order from BroncoGraveyard. I'm looking at this box and wondering "WTF? I haven't ordered anything from there in a while"... when I notice the name on the package says "Pepe` Bricknose". I open it up and there sit two, brand new "Front Axle Pivot Drop Brackets 1980 - 96, 4" or 6" lift". The two brackets Mark was unable to find after his move.
I look up at the "Bill To:" area and there's Marks full name and address. I'm just short of flabbergasted. :thumbup

Of course... I text'd Mark and tried to be as gracious and thankful as my gruff self could manage. I've never been very good at accepting "gifts" and god knows I've received more from the members of this forum than I'll ever be able to repay... and it just keeps coming! :whiteflag

So... I just thought I'd share this little story and maybe embarrass Mark/sloride75 a little bit (assuming he even sees this post), while I expose his overly generous nature to the rest of the forum.

Personal Note: If you do see this Mark... thanks again bud! :beer
If nobody else knows... you also should be congratulated on your recent baby and an additional comment that new Daddies should be scrimping and saving, not buying neat stuff for slack-ass, old gimps they meet online. ;)

Happy 4/20 to all and to all... a good buzz! :thumbup

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,438 Posts
Pepe, Mark is a great guy. He moved there from us here in va. Super helpful and always ready to lend a hand if he has the time in his busy schedule. Great yall got to meet and good to hear he is still kicking around in the broncos.

What ever I have left over from my lift I'll let you know.

Oh and with the bronco, I took a bunch of measurements for my RA.

·
Premium Member
34,509 Posts
Greatly appreciate it Josh. So far I've managed to get the shackle flip brackets from gadawgz71 and now, the radius arm drop brackets, and ttb arm drop down brackets from Sloride75.

At this point, I think all I need are springs, shocks, radius arms and maybe the drop steering joint... but I've read conflicting stuff on that. Some seem to need it on a 4" and others seem to do fine w/out it. :shrug

I don't think you'll have much left to offer me though... with yours being a 6". :shrug
I probably don't need to go as hardcore as you are (reading your DIY RA thread) but I probably should go as stout as I can... just because once I get it in, I'll probably run it pretty hard here and there, for a DD. :toothless

You are right on though. Mark seemed like a real nice guy and someone I could hang with and enjoy.
I'm a real a-hole though... so that's saying a lot. ;) We can use as many good people as we can find here in WA.
Sorry for your loss... but he's our gain. :beer

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ripped out my master cylinder and vacuum booster in anticipation of starting my hydroboost build when the UPS man visits tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
You are so correct Andy it's scary :goodfinge

PO says he thinks the 9" currently under truck spun a bearing hense the extra 9" and the "jack wagon" he bought it from sunk the 44 and filled it with water hense the extra 44. So I'm going to take a look at those issues and then move on to getting it running and go from there.

wow, that was a great deal,truck looks pretty rustfree in the pics so far

is that the factory cb ?

oh year, walked by my rusty driver and used the project 78 tub as a workbench for a project for my 10 yr olds homework

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hauled my boat and daughter down to the marsh for some flounder and red fishing. Pretty successful trip.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Factory CB was a real thing? I have a box like that under my seat, but I thought it was something the PO added.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Saw it as it passed by the dealership today, first time I've seen it in about a week :cry I've got her loaned out to a close friend that is in a tough spot.

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Replaced the buried trans dipstick with one off of an E series van.
No more step stool and burnt hand checking the fluid.

Attachments

10021 - 10040 of 18416 Posts