Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

17041 - 17060 of 19354 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I unloaded the Bronco from a ten day trip from Fl to Pa and back. 2800 miles total. Averaged about 15 mpg. The only issue was the plug for the coil started acting up on the way to Pa, thought it was the coil so I replaced it in a guys driveway in West Virginia. He gave me a ride to the parts store 10 miles away, I bought him some beer for the help. Couple days later the same thing happens coming home at 10:00 pm from Pittsburgh. Mess with it and make it back to where I am staying pop the hood to wiggle wires and realize the plug is bad. Find one in stock at a local shop splice it in and good to go. Drove up to Lake Erie the next day for a couple days then headed home. Drove from 9 am till 3 am New Years eve while my wife and son enjoyed the ample room in the Bronco. Much better than the wife's CRV.I wish I had fixed the cruise control. I tried to keep it around 70 as much as possible but did run 80 for a few extended periods. I really love driving this thing. Got less than $2000 in this truck and feel like it can take me anywhere I want to go.

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,241 Posts
I really love driving this thing. Got less than $2000 in this truck and feel like it can take me anywhere I want to go.
I wish my price tag was $2000. I love my truck though and feel what I got in it is well worth it.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Replaced the tailgate to lower bed weatherstrip. Will do the upper rear glass weatherstrip next, then the cab to top and top to quarter panel weatherstripping in next two weeks. New door bushings and pins came in today. Only need to replace driver door bushings. Bushings, bushings, bushings, geez. They’re like the friggin cartilage in the human body. Chit wears out.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Wow ! What a difference !

Ok first off, I am an idiot. I have owned my Bronco for the last three years and I have put off something I should have done a long time ago.

I have been searching for a fix for a bucking sensation when the truck is under a load and I had not been able to find it. I thought maybe my plug wires were crossed and acring across one another but I was not able to get much out of trying to fix it.

I Just did the Six litre tune up and my truck actually ran worse with the new coil, wires, rotor cap and button. I was confused with this turn of events. I decided to break down and borrow my buddy's timing light and check to see what my my timing was set at.

I climbed under the truck, cleaned off the rust on the harmonic balancer and darkened the marks with a sharpie pen and wiped off the excess ink. This made the marks show up pretty good.

Well, when I first checked it I found it at 2 degrees after TDC and then it jumped up to 2 degrees before TDC. Needless to say, it was not the proper setting of 10 degrees before TDC. I set timing to 10 degrees and went for a test run. Wow, my truck ran so much better! I really wish I had not assumed the PO had it set correctly. My bucking sensation and the pinging almost completely disappeared!

When I got back from my test run, I checked the timing again and noticed it was no longer at 10 degrees BTDC, it was around 20 degrees BTDC ! I couldn't figure out why the settings had changed. I even checked it with the spout removed and it still was fluctuating. I searched the forum and found a thread that mentioned a faulty temperature sensor can make the idle go up and down because the computer thinks the engine is cold and is choking the engine. I even saw the temp gauge in the cab do some funky hoping around lately so I think this assessment is probably going to the the right one.

So, I am going to order a new Motorcraft temp sensor and install it and then check / reset my timing once I know the temp sensor isn't fluctuating. Hopefully after that I will have a better, smoother running engine.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
If the timing changed (or is varying) when you had the SPOUT removed, you have more problems than the temp sensor. With the SPOUT out, the PCM is not controlling the timing, the temp sensor is not in play. With the SPOUT out, the timing is fixed, based solely on the position of the distributor.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
If the timing changed (or is varying) when you had the SPOUT removed, you have more problems than the temp sensor. With the SPOUT out, the PCM is not controlling the timing, the temp sensor is not in play. With the SPOUT out, the timing is fixed, based solely on the position of the distributor.
Well, if it is mechanical in nature then I would guess my timing chain is loose....dang it.

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco, 351w with edelbrock aluminum top end and holly 600.
2,138 Posts
Replaced all the dash lights, cleaned and lubed ignition and swapped in a new lock cylinder, and replaced the tail lights on wifeys 85 since I backed into my trailer with it! New ones sure are sparkly! Oh, and put in new husky floor mats. And lubed up the speedo cable do it doesn’t sound like a hamster wheel is behind the dash.

Still tracking down the antifreeze leak - looks like some more has looked on top of the pump again. Bottom of t housing is dry. Going to mop it up and check again but that lower intake gasket right above the leak is looking more suspicious all the time. Argh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well, if it is mechanical in nature then I would guess my timing chain is loose....dang it.
This should give you a good heads up into changing the chain, just in case you need it: Link

·
Registered
83 Posts
PCV hose relocation: It may just be in my head, but I swear it stopped the pinging/knocking I was getting from the rear cylinder and smoothed the idle. I thought I had a rod going, but now she's purring like a kitten. Even used my stethoscope, and could hear nothing bad back there, when before it sounded like rocks in a tin can... my luck it just means that cyl is now completely wiped, but *fingers crossed*

Then changed plugs and oil. Ran out of daylight so wires and a good drive to settle everything have to wait for tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Since I changed my oil Saturday I decided to rotate the tires today after work. Want to try and keep the rotations timed with the oil changes.

While I had the tires off I shot the bolts on the leaf springs with PB Blaster in preparation to install new leaf spring bushings.
I noticed the threads on most of the bolts looked like they were in really good condition and the brackets were bolted on instead of having rivets. Because of this I believe the bushings have been replaced at least once before in the history of my truck. I did however see dry rot on the exposed portions of the bushings so I know they are in need of replacing. This will be one of my next jobs to do.

I also found some skinned wires on the tail light / brake light harnesses in the area of the back bumper....putting this on the to do list too.

17041 - 17060 of 19354 Posts