Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

17241 - 17260 of 18538 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I copied this from my thread about my clutch troubles, just some stuff I plan on getting done this week and the mess that lead me to doing so:
(I thought it would get some more attention here from those who find this stuff interesting)

Well, this weekend was a circus and a half.
My clutch had still been acting up these past few weeks, like losing of pressure in the pedal, shifting roughly, and worst of all, liquid was dripping out of the bottom of my transmission bell housing after I came home from a short drive one day. So, I decided to take a trip out to my mechanic friend to see if he could cut me a deal on a new LuK clutch kit and a Sachs slave cylinder Worldpac. As my dad rightfully warned me, once you replace a part of a system with something new and strong, something else is probably on its way to heaven. So I headed out Friday, and sure enough on my way there, my car died at a stop and refused to start again. (Thankfully it was right before I got on the highway).

After I got it towed to my dads friendly mechanic down the road, we realized that there was liquid leaking from my brand new ignition coil which I bought from Summit and had replaced a few months ago when I did the spark plugs & wires. There was fuel going to the rail, but there was no spark in the engine. So the plan is that it's worked on today, and as long as it takes to get all of the work done I've been needing to do all at once, when the car is on a lift. We ended up picking up the new parts the day after we dropped it off at the shop.

This work includes replacing the fuel filter, taking off the oil pan, cleaning out the sump and replacing the gasket, setting the timing, replacing the u-joints on the front driveshaft, and fully servicing the brakes. It wouldn't hurt to have the engine looked over by a professional mechanic to see if there's any preventative maintenance work to be done that isn't apparent to the common eye. Not to mention replacing the gaskets where the headers meet my exhaust pipes which I had no idea were as loose and worn out as they were. One of the mechanics assistants made it very clear all that did was make a lot of noise and losing a good bit of power. Not to mention my dad hired a PDR guy to work on his S2k that got caught in a hailstorm or two, so while he's at it, he can unbend my dented up hood which I believe at one point was opened into the ceiling of someones garage. Even better, he knows a guy who can work on my wheels by polishing and removing all the brake dust spots that have accumulated on the wheels, and then shoot it with clear coat to prevent this from happening again.

So, hopefully by the middle of the week I can get all this stuff done, and my truck will be working better than ever. I'm excited. Sorry I know it's a lot, but I put this all here for anyone who's interested in cars and all things mechanical. Plus it's nice to talk to people besides the ones at my school who lose interest after about 30 seconds. Maybe I talk too much...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Replaced the key lock cylinder, one simple thing took care of the chime going off without the key in and even took care of the air bag light flashing a 32 code. Also put a new bulb in the hmsl. Alas still no cruise.

Oh and I cut the nasty remnants of leather off the steering wheel and will start the process of looking for one. or not.

EDIT--- Was just wishful thinking on the air bag flashing. it came back today.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts

·
The Tennessee Warden
2,409 Posts
It's a balmy 45 degrees today, with the snow almost gone and most of the salt washed away in the last big rain and more rain on the way this week. Getting ready to bring the Warden out of hibernation - it's like Christmas all over again! :chili:

Edit:
It’s alive! I just had to bring it out.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The 302 finally gave up the ghost. The last two days have been removing and complete disassembly of the motor for the local scrap guy to come pick up. I'll slowly be preparing the 351 for removal and transplant from the '89 I just bought from a friend of mine - God I hate V8's - into my own '89. The AOD is up next for servicing, so I may just buy a built 4r70w instead. "No rest for the wicked" is right...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
I drove 16mi into work in the 88 this morning. It was 42* and raining like hell. That was @ 7:30. By 9:00 the temp had dropped to below 30* and the rain was now snow! At 10:30 we closed the shop! I get out to the Bronco that I had started about 15min earlier with the defroster full tilt and hop in. There is now 6" of snow/slush on the roads. 4WD time! Did I mention the 60 + 70mph wind gusts?:eek: The longest straight stretch of the drive is 10mi long thru farm country. The wind was coming from the passenger side and had created a White out from the snow coming off the fields!:eek: Anything over 30mph was just plain stupid. You couldn't see more than 50' in front of at the good times! Did I get any pics? Hell no! I was too busy with both hands on the wheel praying that someone wouldn't come plowing into me! Me and the Bronco finally made it home unscathed. The old 88 motored right thru as usual. It's days like this I really appreciate that rig!:rockon

·
Premium Member
2,187 Posts
I drove 16mi into work in the 88 this morning. It was 42* and raining like hell. That was @ 7:30. By 9:00 the temp had dropped to below 30* and the rain was now snow! At 10:30 we closed the shop! I get out to the Bronco that I had started about 15min earlier with the defroster full tilt and hop in. There is now 6" of snow/slush on the roads. 4WD time! Did I mention the 60 + 70mph wind gusts?:eek: The longest straight stretch of the drive is 10mi long thru farm country. The wind was coming from the passenger side and had created a White out from the snow coming off the fields!:eek: Anything over 30mph was just plain stupid. You couldn't see more than 50' in front of at the good times! Did I get any pics? Hell no! I was too busy with both hands on the wheel praying that someone wouldn't come plowing into me! Me and the Bronco finally made it home unscathed. The old 88 motored right thru as usual. It's days like this I really appreciate that rig!:rockon
Sounds like a heck of a drive home from work :thumbup

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
Sounds like a heck of a drive home from work :thumbup
Yepper it was!:histerica They are saying it was a blizzard! Everything is closed and nothing is plowed and I'm debating going into work tomorrow. Not that I can't make it! This is a fast moving storm that is moving East and wreaking havoc as it goes. This season has been an expensive one for the 88. New trans in December, all new hubs, rotors, drums and brakes in January. It is times like this that reaffirm my 31 year old Bronco still can show it's stuff! :thumbup

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,464 Posts
Okay, not a Bronco, but a Ranger, question: my friend Steven has a lifted 2WD Ranger (2" lift), and it appears he has an RA bushing problem. He wants to replace them, and I'm sure stock is not what he wants. I've seen in many lift threads how a "9* bushing* is used, but i'm not sure if it's used in conjunction or not with a lengthened radius arm, or even if this is needed with a 2" lift. I just need a quick primer on TIB suspension lifting (which i'm sure should be the same as lifting TTB suspension).

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,464 Posts
Sorry, but I just could not find another thread to pop this into without starting a new one. If the mods don't agree with this, I'll start a new one.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sorry, but I just could not find another thread to pop this into without starting a new one. If the mods don't agree with this, I'll start a new one.

It’s probably best to start a new one in the flame free section for a better audience reach. In this thread the original question will get buried eventually by what people did to their Bronco today.

BTW: I got my personalized antique tag in today

17241 - 17260 of 18538 Posts