Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

18621 - 18640 of 18680 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Finally stopped the P/S leak caused by last shop that swapped out the steering gear and tried to over tighten connections.. I reworked with a tiny bit of red sealer in the threads and heat cured them overnight.. Success! Now for the Pan Gasket front Leak grrrr

·
Registered
441 Posts
0EAAF701-2C28-4E1C-A0A6-CABC7A814ABC.jpeg

redneck outside tailgate weatherstripping it’s rainy season

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lets get a sticky!!!

It's easy, tell us anything you've done to your Bronco today. It could be as simple as staring at it, or as complicated as finishing a SAS, doesn't matter

I washed mine today, and tried to fix my loose passenger side mirror
Took it for a spin in the first snow fall of the year and ducked taped my ash tray closed. Every stop at a light it slides right out.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,617 Posts
Measured the angles of the rear driveshaft and pinion.

Pinion: 13*
Driveshaft: 15*

·
Registered
102 Posts
Had the pan out and pPulled mystery metal out of my oil pickup. It's aluminum and not a rod or main bearing. Doesn't look like a cam bearing, but need a borescope to make sure. No spun bearings but some stuff went through the engine. Any guesses?

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Might have dodged a bullet, for the time being.

Last Tuesday afternoon, we were driving the Bronco to the in-laws to spend the Thanksgiving holiday. Wife was driving........ fast...... 1981 Bronco not made to go fast. Eventually, noticed some strange shifting issues with the C6. Now, I know it's an old vehicle, not sure if anything has ever been done to the C6. But I think the tranny was getting hot. Anyway, we turned around and made it back home, to go back on Wednesday with the 1995 F250 PowerStroke.
Looked at it today. Not sure if maybe there was an issue with the kick-down linkage making it not want to shift easily into 3rd gear?
I ended up draining the tranny, spliced in the transmission cooler that I had removed from the 1995 F250 (had installed a much larger one on the F250), and added an in-line magnetic filter in the return line. So far, so good.

(Then, went inside and had a gentle discussion with my favorite wife about driving her beloved Bronco too fast.... :oops:)

We'll see how it goes from here, but we are setting aside money for a new/rebuilt transmission.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,617 Posts

Last Tuesday afternoon, we were driving the Bronco to the in-laws to spend the Thanksgiving holiday. Wife was driving........ fast...... 1981 Bronco not made to go fast. Eventually, noticed some strange shifting issues with the C6. Now, I know it's an old vehicle, not sure if anything has ever been done to the C6. But I think the tranny was getting hot. Anyway, we turned around and made it back home, to go back on Wednesday with the 1995 F250 PowerStroke.
Looked at it today. Not sure if maybe there was an issue with the kick-down linkage making it not want to shift easily into 3rd gear?
I ended up draining the tranny, spliced in the transmission cooler that I had removed from the 1995 F250 (had installed a much larger one on the F250), and added an in-line magnetic filter in the return line. So far, so good.

(Then, went inside and had a gentle discussion with my favorite wife about driving her beloved Bronco too fast.... :oops:)

We'll see how it goes form here, but we are setting aside money for a new/rebuilt transmission.
Hey stranger! 🍺

·
Registered
379 Posts
View attachment 150793
redneck outside tailgate weatherstripping it’s rainy season
Thank you! I am glad you posted that picture....... I have a 1969 Falcon Futura wagon...... the rubber wiper on that outside seal is non-existant and it has been impossible to find a replacement part. I am going to order one from the Bronco catalog and see if it can work on the Falcon wagon........ if not, I can always install it on our Bronco.

IMG_1403.JPG

·
The Tennessee Warden
2,529 Posts

We'll see how it goes from here, but we are setting aside money for a new/rebuilt transmission.
Hey bud,
If your rig didn't have an external cooler, putting one on like you did should help keep it cool. Also, the kickdown linkage being out of adjustment would only affect the downshift when you are already rolling in third gear and accelerate to pass or merge, etc. The filter will help, but you may want to drop the pan (save your new fluid!) and put in a new pan filter (and gasket). Good luck!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hey bud,
If your rig didn't have an external cooler, putting one on like you did should help keep it cool. Also, the kickdown linkage being out of adjustment would only affect the downshift when you are already rolling in third gear and accelerate to pass or merge, etc. The filter will help, but you may want to drop the pan (save your new fluid!) and put in a new pan filter (and gasket). Good luck!
Previously, the only cooler was that section of the radiator. Here is the one I added... pic from before I removed it from the F250. Installed in the Bronco in the same area:
DSCF3625.JPG

Probably 2 months ago, I changed the fluid and installed a new filter/gasket. When I drained the fluid this time, it still looked nice and red, so I didn't think it needed a new filter now..... I really think this is just a stop-gap measure..... won't be surprised if the tranny gets swapped sometime soon. I plan on talking to a shop today about it, see what I need to plan on. I am not a transmission guy (almost said I am not a tranny guy........ well, that either, but that's just gross), and wouldn't have the facilities to get it done, other than in the open in the back yard. I think I would gladly pay someone to do this job.

·
The Tennessee Warden
2,529 Posts
Previously, the only cooler was that section of the radiator. Here is the one I added... pic from before I removed it from the F250. Installed in the Bronco in the same area:
View attachment 150859

Probably 2 months ago, I changed the fluid and installed a new filter/gasket. When I drained the fluid this time, it still looked nice and red, so I didn't think it needed a new filter now..... I really think this is just a stop-gap measure..... won't be surprised if the tranny gets swapped sometime soon. I plan on talking to a shop today about it, see what I need to plan on. I am not a transmission guy, and wouldn't have the facilities to get it done, other than in the open in the back yard. I think I would gladly pay someone to do this job.
Gotcha - didn’t realize you already changed the pan gasket/filter. The C6 is a tough transmission so hopefully it will still serve you well.

18621 - 18640 of 18680 Posts