Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

18861 - 18880 of 20121 Posts

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,143 Posts
Weather finally gave me a break to get the leaking rear brake line replaced. While the sun holds out & I'm under there with the creeper, going to drain the chunk and put new gear oil in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Got new hid projectors installed in my 86. Just need to wait until USPS shows up with new adjusters. The cheap dorman ones I bought a few months ago are awful and won't stay clipped in. I found some nos ford ones to fix it.
Lights look great and should have a good beam pattern.

Reactions: TS 90F150

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,840 Posts
i mean i would understand if i was getting on it and it gave out doing something cool like in a mud hole. but it gave out going to a bonfire offroad on newyears eve, didnt even get to offroad it really.

it was a 351w stroked with a 418 kit but with 60 over pistons making it a 425ci. dont actually remember where i got the block, think i bought it used cheap a long time ago for my 88 but it sat around, my notes say it was from from an e-series van, was a non-roller block. built it back in 2016. dont drive it a lot so it might have like 10-15k miles on it. never really had a build thread for it, jsut a few pics in my Supermotors page assembling it

I dig those valve covers. Where'd you get those at? I need something like that for my 460 when it goes into my Bronco.

I can also understand blowing up an engine without doing anything cool in the process. When mine let go I was really beating the crap out of it. I took it very well when it went, because I knew it was my own fault. "Well, I guess I deserved that". That was pretty much the feeling.

·
Man of endless projects
9,101 Posts
I dig those valve covers. Where'd you get those at? I need something like that for my 460 when it goes into my Bronco.
there valve covers Scott Drake which makes all sorts of fancy looking stuff, usually for classics. they sell these covers all over, even JBG. there not designed for EFI but because my aftermarket intake i could. but dont know if they have much for BBF. defiantly not saying Bronco on them anyways, but maybe a finned style at least

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,840 Posts
there valve covers Scott Drake which makes all sorts of fancy looking stuff, usually for classics. they sell these covers all over, even JBG. there not designed for EFI but because my aftermarket intake i could. but dont know if they have much for BBF. defiantly not saying Bronco on them anyways, but maybe a finned style at least

Ah, ok. I did a quick google search earlier and everything that popped up was for sbf, so that's probably all they made them for. They still look pretty cool.

In my excitement I also forgot why I haven't ever used an aftermarket valve cover on a 460 and that's because of the huge a/c box under the hood on the 73-79 trucks and 78/79 Broncos. It's hard to fit taller covers if at all with that box there.

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,143 Posts
In my excitement I also forgot why I haven't ever used an aftermarket valve cover on a 460 and that's because of the huge a/c box under the hood on the 73-79 trucks and 78/79 Broncos. It's hard to fit taller covers if at all with that box there.
I gave up trying to get the alum tall covers on my 460. They kept leaking due to trying to manipulate them under the hydrovac on the drivers side & screwing up the gasket. It was like having Parkinsons then trying to thread a needle.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Actually did the fix for my electric shift transfer case to let me put it in low range since bypassing the MLPS for my M5R2 swap. Might accidentally need it with some of the weather coming through today if we have to hide in a neighbors gully again for safety (used my fiance's 2wd truck last time to fit everybody in...only tried to get slightly stuck lol)

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,412 Posts
Ordered a new Motorcraft oil pressure switch. Thinking of doing the mod with the switch and mechanical sender and running a stock “fake gauge” and an aftermarket mech gauge also. I have a new to me ‘96 dash cluster with tach that will go in at the same time, so that should fix the current oil gauge fluttering issue, whether it’s the switch or the gauge.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
pulled the engine from the 96 this weekend and disassembled it. was really hopingit was jsut top end damage. boy was i wrong. goodbye 425ci Windsor........

pretty much everything is ruined. for the crank to still be spun over, i never seen an engine with as much damage
timing chain broke

cam timing gear broken in half. cam pin sheared. cam retainer plate shattered

7 of 8 exhaust valves bent and stuck wide open

one thrown rod. one mangled rod. rings on thrown rod shattered

crankshaft rod journal worn 0.070" down

lower cylinder walls broken

windage tray and oil pan torn

almost nothing on the block is salvageable. bolts, rocker arms, and surprisingly pushrods are all that made it. sad day. guessing it had a spun bearing for a long time for the journal to have that much wear. would expect to see low oil pressure and scorching on hte crank and rod but did not. never made any knocking noise till right before the failure

Damn brother, I hate to see that. I know that is lots of money. Any idea as to the root cause of the carnage? I know you said a spun bearing, and not saying not but wondering if you are a 100% on that diagnosis and is so, when did you spin the bearing and what do you think caused this? Woody built this engine correct? Or was it a kit from him you put together?

I really hate to hear it. I guess on the positive side, it never seemed to make the power you thought it should so now is the time to make it RIGHT. It is only money and time. :)

Anyway, keep me posted on progress.

tim

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
941 Posts
I finished the turn signal switch. Replaced the bulb for the gear selector and added a ground for it found a bulb the headlight and wiper switch. It was smoked, put in a new bulb- it worked! Then started on the wiper switch for multi speed and washer.

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,379 Posts
The OP had installed a electric brake module and did a very very poor job doing so. The wiring job he did was horrible. He used crimp style connectors that were not sealed and the wires were corroding and some of them were exposed.

I got out and uninstalled the brake module and fixed all of the wiring. Good solder joints with heat shrink tubing and a little wire loom took care of the job.

On a different note, the little brown truck came by yesterday and left me a little present....

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,057 Posts
Moved mine out of the way, twice. Spent the day plowing in the old F250, while the little lady was pushin' white slop around on the quad. Probably end up the same tomorrow, maybe Monday. Winter took it's sweet time coming around up here but it came hard and will likely last a good while now.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Picked up a filter and oil for the next change...

It's almost 4:00 AM in Central Virginia and it's 68° outside... 40° above average. Can you send a little of that winter our way Pepe?

Reactions: BikerPepe`

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,057 Posts
Oddly, we've been seeing unseasonable 40's off and on for the last few months. We wished for the same... in a "sh!t or get off the pot" kinda way and now, well... be careful what you wish for. ;)

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,143 Posts
It was upper 60's here this weekend, so I took advantage. Adjusted the new rear brakes as the pedal was too spongy, work great now. Caught a whiff of coolant early in the week when I was running the heater, so I checked it out. Damp carpet when I went to lean under the dash. The PO yanked the OE heater setup and put in an aftermarket one... fan, core, and 2 flex hoses. One stuffed into the defrost tunnel, and one into a box at the the top of the tranny tunnel that's a b&tch to reach if you want to close it for defrost. Anyway, pulled it out and the core has a corrosion spot. Ordered another setup from Jegs, and looped the hoses for now. Lady starts her new job Monday, so I will pull the carb this week and see why the secondaries aren't opening. (she won't be around to ask for "quality time") :censored:

·
Registered
837 Posts
68°... took advantage of the nice weather to burn the pallet the crate engine came on.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Yesterday, I worked on my Bronco without actually touching it, if that's possible. I used my spot weld cutter to help remove the extra material from the driver's side rear quarter panel I cut off a JY Bronco a month ago. After I cut out the unneeded waste material, I washed it down and set it aside. Need to do the same to the passenger side panel. I'm not good at body work, but I'm learning a few things here and there. I will have to practice welding some scrap pieces together before trying the real thing.

18861 - 18880 of 20121 Posts