18861 - 18880 of 18923 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts

·
Man of endless projects
8,875 Posts
@Kingfish999

It sure is a drag when the "Fun Stuff" breaks.
What did that 425 start life as & how long did it last ?
i mean i would understand if i was getting on it and it gave out doing something cool like in a mud hole. but it gave out going to a bonfire offroad on newyears eve, didnt even get to offroad it really.

it was a 351w stroked with a 418 kit but with 60 over pistons making it a 425ci. dont actually remember where i got the block, think i bought it used cheap a long time ago for my 88 but it sat around, my notes say it was from from an e-series van, was a non-roller block. built it back in 2016. dont drive it a lot so it might have like 10-15k miles on it. never really had a build thread for it, jsut a few pics in my Supermotors page assembling it

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Borgeson shaft went on today....Just took her down the road...Definitely an improvement took some play out and without the rubber isolator you do "feel" the road more as expected. I will look into a new steering box down the road but I'm good for now with how it is. Louisiana roads are hell on a vehicle's ride quality especially with 6" of lift. Next on the menu is the saginaw pump upgrade.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yep. I live in Vegas and work in AZ 3 weeks a month so I know the monsoon deal. You'll need a hefty pitman arm removal tool. Look to rent/borrow/borrow the "cup" style as it grasps more of the old arm. It will be tough to remove.

Dang! Lots of stuff to hang on the wall of shame
@Desert Bronco Yes, I got one of those U type pitman pullers when I did the tie rods. Can I remove the steering box from the pitman without removing the pitman from drag link? Also, do I need to replace the pitman arm? I looks fine to me.

·
The Tennessee Warden
2,693 Posts
@Desert BroncoCan I remove the steering box from the pitman without removing the pitman from drag link?
Yes you can. I’ve done it. It does get a little more difficult to put it back on though when lining up the splines because to turn it a little to get it to line up, you have to move all of the linkage and the wheels. Doable though.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
I wanted to take the black '96 out for a little drive (that truck was driven 65 miles in all of 2019). As I got to the end of the driveway, I decided to wipe off the windshield. I hit the squirters and the passenger side windshield wiper separated from the arm. The rubber vulcanized itself to the glass. I went to O'reilly's and bought new wipers. Maybe tomorrow I'll put them on.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
pulled the engine from the 96 this weekend and disassembled it. was really hopingit was jsut top end damage. boy was i wrong. goodbye 425ci Windsor........

pretty much everything is ruined. for the crank to still be spun over, i never seen an engine with as much damage
timing chain broke

cam timing gear broken in half. cam pin sheared. cam retainer plate shattered

7 of 8 exhaust valves bent and stuck wide open

one thrown rod. one mangled rod. rings on thrown rod shattered

crankshaft rod journal worn 0.070" down

lower cylinder walls broken

windage tray and oil pan torn

almost nothing on the block is salvageable. bolts, rocker arms, and surprisingly pushrods are all that made it. sad day. guessing it had a spun bearing for a long time for the journal to have that much wear. would expect to see low oil pressure and scorching on hte crank and rod but did not. never made any knocking noise till right before the failure
Woooow 😮

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,060 Posts
Weather finally gave me a break to get the leaking rear brake line replaced. While the sun holds out & I'm under there with the creeper, going to drain the chunk and put new gear oil in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Got new hid projectors installed in my 86. Just need to wait until USPS shows up with new adjusters. The cheap dorman ones I bought a few months ago are awful and won't stay clipped in. I found some nos ford ones to fix it.
Lights look great and should have a good beam pattern.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
i mean i would understand if i was getting on it and it gave out doing something cool like in a mud hole. but it gave out going to a bonfire offroad on newyears eve, didnt even get to offroad it really.

it was a 351w stroked with a 418 kit but with 60 over pistons making it a 425ci. dont actually remember where i got the block, think i bought it used cheap a long time ago for my 88 but it sat around, my notes say it was from from an e-series van, was a non-roller block. built it back in 2016. dont drive it a lot so it might have like 10-15k miles on it. never really had a build thread for it, jsut a few pics in my Supermotors page assembling it

I dig those valve covers. Where'd you get those at? I need something like that for my 460 when it goes into my Bronco.

I can also understand blowing up an engine without doing anything cool in the process. When mine let go I was really beating the crap out of it. I took it very well when it went, because I knew it was my own fault. "Well, I guess I deserved that". That was pretty much the feeling.

·
Man of endless projects
8,875 Posts
I dig those valve covers. Where'd you get those at? I need something like that for my 460 when it goes into my Bronco.
there valve covers Scott Drake which makes all sorts of fancy looking stuff, usually for classics. they sell these covers all over, even JBG. there not designed for EFI but because my aftermarket intake i could. but dont know if they have much for BBF. defiantly not saying Bronco on them anyways, but maybe a finned style at least

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
there valve covers Scott Drake which makes all sorts of fancy looking stuff, usually for classics. they sell these covers all over, even JBG. there not designed for EFI but because my aftermarket intake i could. but dont know if they have much for BBF. defiantly not saying Bronco on them anyways, but maybe a finned style at least

Ah, ok. I did a quick google search earlier and everything that popped up was for sbf, so that's probably all they made them for. They still look pretty cool.

In my excitement I also forgot why I haven't ever used an aftermarket valve cover on a 460 and that's because of the huge a/c box under the hood on the 73-79 trucks and 78/79 Broncos. It's hard to fit taller covers if at all with that box there.

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,060 Posts
In my excitement I also forgot why I haven't ever used an aftermarket valve cover on a 460 and that's because of the huge a/c box under the hood on the 73-79 trucks and 78/79 Broncos. It's hard to fit taller covers if at all with that box there.
I gave up trying to get the alum tall covers on my 460. They kept leaking due to trying to manipulate them under the hydrovac on the drivers side & screwing up the gasket. It was like having Parkinsons then trying to thread a needle.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Actually did the fix for my electric shift transfer case to let me put it in low range since bypassing the MLPS for my M5R2 swap. Might accidentally need it with some of the weather coming through today if we have to hide in a neighbors gully again for safety (used my fiance's 2wd truck last time to fit everybody in...only tried to get slightly stuck lol)

·
The Tennessee Warden
2,693 Posts
Ordered a new Motorcraft oil pressure switch. Thinking of doing the mod with the switch and mechanical sender and running a stock “fake gauge” and an aftermarket mech gauge also. I have a new to me ‘96 dash cluster with tach that will go in at the same time, so that should fix the current oil gauge fluttering issue, whether it’s the switch or the gauge.

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
pulled the engine from the 96 this weekend and disassembled it. was really hopingit was jsut top end damage. boy was i wrong. goodbye 425ci Windsor........

pretty much everything is ruined. for the crank to still be spun over, i never seen an engine with as much damage
timing chain broke

cam timing gear broken in half. cam pin sheared. cam retainer plate shattered

7 of 8 exhaust valves bent and stuck wide open

one thrown rod. one mangled rod. rings on thrown rod shattered

crankshaft rod journal worn 0.070" down

lower cylinder walls broken

windage tray and oil pan torn

almost nothing on the block is salvageable. bolts, rocker arms, and surprisingly pushrods are all that made it. sad day. guessing it had a spun bearing for a long time for the journal to have that much wear. would expect to see low oil pressure and scorching on hte crank and rod but did not. never made any knocking noise till right before the failure

Damn brother, I hate to see that. I know that is lots of money. Any idea as to the root cause of the carnage? I know you said a spun bearing, and not saying not but wondering if you are a 100% on that diagnosis and is so, when did you spin the bearing and what do you think caused this? Woody built this engine correct? Or was it a kit from him you put together?

I really hate to hear it. I guess on the positive side, it never seemed to make the power you thought it should so now is the time to make it RIGHT. It is only money and time. :)

Anyway, keep me posted on progress.

tim

·
Registered
254 Posts
I finished the turn signal switch. Replaced the bulb for the gear selector and added a ground for it found a bulb the headlight and wiper switch. It was smoked, put in a new bulb- it worked! Then started on the wiper switch for multi speed and washer.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
The OP had installed a electric brake module and did a very very poor job doing so. The wiring job he did was horrible. He used crimp style connectors that were not sealed and the wires were corroding and some of them were exposed.

I got out and uninstalled the brake module and fixed all of the wiring. Good solder joints with heat shrink tubing and a little wire loom took care of the job.

On a different note, the little brown truck came by yesterday and left me a little present....

18861 - 18880 of 18923 Posts