Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

19061 - 19080 of 19847 Posts

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,120 Posts
Today I was forced to work on the Bronco. My g/f left her personal black hole handbag behind when she left for work, and emailed me to see if I'd "be a dear and run it up to me?" Sure why not. Bronco has been running well back 'n forth to work, let's see what an hours ride does going to her job. Long story short... 3 miles from leaving her job, the front steering feels weird, and then the brake pedal got real spongy. Pulled into a parking lot to check, front drivers side hub is hot, too hot. F*ck! Ended up being the outer spindle bearing was literally gone. G\f came on her lunch break and I used her car to get 2 trips to Advance to get the right bearing, then spent until 630 pm, with a flashlight the last hour, putting it back together. The spindle itself is toast by now. When I got it apart, the inner race for the bearing wore into it in one spot pretty bad & I had to cut it off with a hacksaw. Everything tightened up ok, and I packed it full of grease. I clenched once for good luck & I got it home, 23 miles. I know when I get it up on jackstands this weekend, the hub is gonna have some wobble in it already. Might as well do both of the front and upgrade the manual hubs while I'm in there.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
35,915 Posts

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,311 Posts
Ok - so after clearing the driveway and the vehicles of most of the snow, I decided to go ahead and recheck all the connections on the JBG headlight harness and also swap the relays between lo and hi beams. I won’t be able to report back on if it worked until all the roads are dry (I don’t want to drive on the wet salty roads if I don’t have to), but I’ll report back when I know. If it works I’ll probably buy a couple spare headlight relays from JBG and swap out the (maybe) troublesome one, which is now on the hi beam circuit.

Also, this question is for anyone who has installed Bilstein 5100s: did you notice an increase in ride height with these nitrogen charged shocks? The rake (and slight negative camber) I had before seems to be less or non-existent since the new shocks. (And yes, this is after rolling forward for at least 20’ in both cases)

Before:

After:

·
35,915 Posts
I ordered fresh rubber liners for the tailgate window track and new plastic for the striker studs.
I was pleasantly surprised to find JBG beat LMC by almost 1/2, w/shipping.

Surprised to hear MS88 having issues with the headlight harness.
I installed mine when I had the engine out and it's been working great.
Hope you get it fingered out and it's NBD.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Found out rockauto is a shit company and will never be using them again. Sent me a Cam with the old 289 firing order instead of 351w firing order and refuses to give a refund. Buyer beware on Rockauto and Enginetech parts.

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
806 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Finally got my front tow hooks installed. I know the frame on the OBS aren't the best with the crumple zone, but the plan is if ever I need to be pulled from the front, will distribute with a strap between the hooks, especially since I had to take advantage of holes that were already in the front of the frame (way too large for 1/2" bolts) but did have to drill for the rear bolts, so with everything force wise, I would imagine it won't cause any problems, as long as I'm not somewhere I really shouldn't be.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Installed new inner and outer wheel bearings and races, new wheel seal, new rotor and brake pads on passenger side Gotta do driver side and rear shoes next week

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I feel like an idiot but found out my negative battery cable was a tad loose on the battery post. Don't know how but it seems thats been my troubles the last few months. Bought 3g alt and know its still a nice upgrade but damn, K.I.S.S. should be tatted to my forehead

·
Super Moderator
24,710 Posts
I used to trap animals for a living when I lived in Atlanta many moons ago. I always found that when using live traps, placing creamy peanut butter mixed with a little mineral oil (to keep it from drying out too quickly) and sprinkled with UNSALTED whole sunflower seeds on the trigger paddle worked best for luring those little tree rats into the trap.

On the other hand, I also used humane lethal traps called Koro traps. Btw, in the trapping world, “humane” means painless, not “keep then alive” lol. Standard rat snap traps don’t have enough power for squirrels - these work great. They have a small trigger paddle also like live traps do.
Yo MS,
Thanks!
We used a non-lethal trap Wednesday and so far have caught seven squirrels. One preggie was probably the nest builder.
Awaiting next invasion of squirrels!

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,396 Posts
Forgot to post cuz my T-case problem but.......
My driver seat belt latch (female end) was releasing WAY too easy I noticed the button was half way in while buckled, I have parts rigs but took a minute to blow it out with the compressor and shot som WD40 in there and it auto-fixed itself has some years old crust building up that wasn’t letting the button fully seat.

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,311 Posts
Went to put in my Eddie Bauer seats in the front to match the rear bench that I already put in, but I had misplaced the bolts that bolt the seat to the bracket. I had pulled off the DS bracket to make a repair. So I spent two hours looking in my garage for a replacement set of bolts that fit the threads. I finally found four matching bolts that work, but it was getting close to time to take the family out to dinner. Maybe tomorrow...

Oh, and I just sold my old MT/R tires locally to a guy who wanted them for his Jeep CJ for a cool $420 - so that’s about $480 out of pocket for my new tires (if you wanna look at it that way....and I do lol).

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
806 Posts
Went to put in my Eddie Bauer seats in the front to match the rear bench that I already put in, but I had misplaced the bolts that bolt the seat to the bracket. I had pulled off the DS bracket to make a repair. So I spent two hours looking in my garage for a replacement set of bolts that fit the threads. I finally found four matching bolts that work, but it was getting close to time to take the family out to dinner. Maybe tomorrow...

Oh, and I just sold my old MT/R tires locally to a guy who wanted them for his Jeep CJ for a cool $420 - so that’s about $480 out of pocket for my new tires (if you wanna look at it that way....and I do lol).
I've mis placed stuff only to buy stuff to replace it then find it later while working on something else .

·
35,915 Posts
I'm with stupid... ^^^^^^

I finally got out to the shop and started fiddling with Dad's 400 again. I'd been putting it off for waaay to long now between feeling like crap and the cold out there that I was concerned would mess up the RTV and gasket seal. I've also been taking advantage that my Dad's been able to use my bro's bullnose F250, since he's stuck in the joint. It's been getting up into the 40's so I set up a radiant heater under the block, put carboard and a tarp over/around the block and let it sit overnight (or 2) to warm up the block itself.

Got the oil pan sealed, installed. Got the old dipstick block hole plugged. Tried to mount the engine mounts to the block but the damn cheap chinease crap had to be ground down a few places so it wouldn't push the oil pan lip around. Ground to fit, painted for a little corrosion resistance, thread chased the mounting holes, bought new grade 8 bolts w/washers and finally got 'em on proper. Flipped the engine back upright and now she's ready for me to clean the surface and prep to re-install the refinished heads.

Might even have it all re-installed by spring at this rate. brownbag smilie would go here

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs.
251 Posts
Replaced the ignition lock cylinder and replaced the DPFE sensor with the motorcraft kit that includes the plastic sensor and new connector.

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,311 Posts
Replaced the ignition lock cylinder and replaced the DPFE sensor with the motorcraft kit that includes the plastic sensor and new connector.
What code were you chasing to replace the DPFE sensor? I’m planning on replacing my EGR solenoid when it warms up a little (so I hopefully don’t snap off the plastic clip) to try to clear a P1409 code I got after hitting a pothole the size of Montana.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Two weeks ago we had 5 inches of snow. This weekend we had a beautiful Saturday... so off to the lake for some camping. Cleaned up the Bronco and pop up.

Camping on Lake Lanier. We had our own petting zoo.. about a dozen deer that tried to bully us off the camp site. I really hate cocky deer..... who have no fear of Humans.

The boy wanted to catch some catfish. Rigged up a line with some NASTY chicken livers and about 15 minutes later he reeled in this 5lb channel cat. It looked like it was full of eggs so we threw her back.

There was another Bronco camping on Lanier. Scott had a sweet 1978 Fullsize towing a camping trailer. Of course I had to stop and talk Broncos and check out the 1978.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Changed out the front brake pads on my 89 EB. First time doing that. The metal clip system that holds the calipers on (87-91) is stupid. Looks like ford fixed it starting with the 1992 models, but I still have the crappy system. I also installed new weather Stripping on both doors. Great seal. I was getting a little wet sometimes in the rain before. Even though I adjusted the striker bolt all the way in I'll still need to slam the doors for a while until the rubber conforms.

Also re-plasti-diped the rims. My first crack at it last weekend peeled right off. Not waiting long enough between coats and dipping them without removing the wheels were the likely causes. Everything is looking sharp now. Everybody asks me if I got new rims! Nope, just $10 worth of plasti dip.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yesterday,I attempted to reinstall heater hose assembly in lower intake so I could install upper intake. Upper intake didn’t want to clear it. So uninstalled and reinstalled heater assembly multiple times. And ended up getting cross threaded in the lower intake. Now to find a way to repair that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19061 - 19080 of 19847 Posts