Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

19181 - 19200 of 19265 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well I have a list of items that I've done over the last month.
Resealed front timing cover and new water pump, new oil and filter.
Full Bassani exhaust w/headers and 1.7 ratio roller rockers
Brand new Ford dash panel. Had to cut out the holes for the Touch Drive 4X4 and rear window defogger switches
Drove to Moab and toured for a week and drove back home via Wichita, KS and the Sunflower swap meet
Changed oil and filter
Cleaned out interior and washed it up.
Over 2500 miles round trip and zero Bronco problems. Almost got stuck in the mud between Gateway, CO and Moab, UT. Ended up backing up about a mile before finding a spot to turn around and return on the road that we can in on. Also had a Suburban to pull out on the way back to pavement.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Drove it out of the garage after new waterpump and t-stat change so I could put the snowmobiles away. Also moved the camper in front of one of the doors in preparation for camping season. If winter is done, then bring on the warm weather and wash all the salt off the roads so I can drive the Bronco again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Removed the piece together front lift consisting of 2” lift coils and 2” spacers the previous owner had installed originally and installed the Rough Country 4” lift. Plan on doing the rear leafs tonight and then onto tie rods and alignment.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,014 Posts
Sucked gas out of it yesterday to keep the Corolla rollin, gladdening I has a 30 gallon tank that I literally filled when the tcase chain started knocking.

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,076 Posts
Been spritzing the pass side spindle nuts & ball joints with PB for a few days. Finally got the spindle off. Had to drill out 2 cotter pins that were rusted into the stems so the castle nuts could come off. Broke a good drill bit in the process. Now just need to beat the steering knuckle loose, then it's all new hardware going back in.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
My kid helped yard the t case out of the donor F150.
BFFB7C3C-A4C8-45FE-B4D4-E7E4CAE84A3F.jpeg
had to use a come along wrapped around the back ankle to pop it loose, it has a little play in the front yoke if you look at the two lines that is how far the yoke spins each way before it grabs the chain.
0F16B832-8D63-45D4-8B3F-FF47806A86BC.jpeg

disregard my lunch in the background
My question is should there be that much play? Think I can get by throwing it in the truck now while rebuilding mine or best to just rebuild this one now and then rebuild mine later for the grandsons future FSB?
Thoughts please?

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,419 Posts
Sorry man. I'm NOT your huckleberry on that. I'll leave that to smarter folks than I but I did get a good laugh out of the lunch comment. I was thinking it before I read it.

Drove to town today. Bronco's been running well, only problem I've been aware of has been the suspicion of the rear main seal leak. Got down to the prosthetic office, got worked on, ran over to grab some food to eat with my antibiotics and then headed by my Mom's for a little visit after her old man's successful stint surgery.

Came time to go and when I went out to the Bronco... the battery was dead. I couldn't even get a click on the key twist. Dash lights were dim and the radio wasn't even turning on. Got hooked up with a jump start, charged some juice to the battery and the best I could get was "click, click, click" and nothing. Fuel pump was priming properly, everything seemed to be as it should. I did notice the radio had lost all the previous programming... so that battery was completely drained, for whatever reason. Checked the battery cables, everything nice and tight. Smacked the solenoid a little, tried again, same. Crawled under, smacked the starter a few times, tried again, same. Tried cross-jumping the solenoid with the key ready to run, barely even a click. Tried powering the starter directly but messed that up by only hitting power to the power line, not the control line too. Crawled under in my sweats and white shirt (last thing I planned on dealing with today) and pulled the starter out. Nearly rounded off the top bolt head doing it... but finally got it free. Took it down to O'Really's and had it tested. Tested out just fine.

Bronco was just flat ass NOT going to start or even try. Not sure if it's the battery but jumping to solenoid did squat and the starter seemed ok. Battery maybe developed a bad cell or something... but again, no signs of impending doom. Just DOA out of the blue. The battery is an old, un-dated, red Optima the PO installed and I know they used to be awesome but lately they're sh!t. What really got me was... why was it completely drained after sitting for just a few hours? The only thing I can think of at this point is I did recently do the rear window, relay upgrade... but I hadn't even put 100 miles on it. I couldn't have worn through that 10 ga power wire and grounded it out, could I? I didn't leave the stereo or light on or anything stupid like that.

Anyway... it was close to 9pm by then, so I broke down and called AAA, since my little lady bought the membership a few years back and put me on it. May as well get that money's worth. With the pandemic sh!t going on... I had to hit my "father in law" up for a ride home, so I left the keys with instructions and headed out.

Aaaannnd... he just pulled up with my baby on the back, safe and sound. Even managed to get her unloaded right into the shop, ready for me to try and figure out WTF? Impressive. I wasn't a big fan of the AAA deal, being such an independent soul but I have to admit... that was pretty quick, efficient and hassle free.

Any good ideas on where I should start the troubleshooting? I'll have to get some bolts and re-install the starter before I go there and I just paid 6 months of my insurance, so I'm too tight right now to throw parts at it.

I love this bitch but I'm starting to think she doesn't really care much for me.

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco, 351w with edelbrock aluminum top end and holly 600.
2,111 Posts
Sorry man. I'm NOT your huckleberry on that. I'll leave that to smarter folks than I but I did get a good laugh out of the lunch comment. I was thinking it before I read it.

Drove to town today. Bronco's been running well, only problem I've been aware of has been the suspicion of the rear main seal leak. Got down to the prosthetic office, got worked on, ran over to grab some food to eat with my antibiotics and then headed by my Mom's for a little visit after her old man's successful stint surgery.

Came time to go and when I went out to the Bronco... the battery was dead. I couldn't even get a click on the key twist. Dash lights were dim and the radio wasn't even turning on. Got hooked up with a jump start, charged some juice to the battery and the best I could get was "click, click, click" and nothing. Fuel pump was priming properly, everything seemed to be as it should. I did notice the radio had lost all the previous programming... so that battery was completely drained, for whatever reason. Checked the battery cables, everything nice and tight. Smacked the solenoid a little, tried again, same. Crawled under, smacked the starter a few times, tried again, same. Tried cross-jumping the solenoid with the key ready to run, barely even a click. Tried powering the starter directly but messed that up by only hitting power to the power line, not the control line too. Crawled under in my sweats and white shirt (last thing I planned on dealing with today) and pulled the starter out. Nearly rounded off the top bolt head doing it... but finally got it free. Took it down to O'Really's and had it tested. Tested out just fine.

Bronco was just flat ass NOT going to start or even try. Not sure if it's the battery but jumping to solenoid did squat and the starter seemed ok. Battery maybe developed a bad cell or something... but again, no signs of impending doom. Just DOA out of the blue. The battery is an old, un-dated, red Optima the PO installed and I know they used to be awesome but lately they're sh!t. What really got me was... why was it completely drained after sitting for just a few hours? The only thing I can think of at this point is I did recently do the rear window, relay upgrade... but I hadn't even put 100 miles on it. I couldn't have worn through that 10 ga power wire and grounded it out, could I? I didn't leave the stereo or light on or anything stupid like that.

Anyway... it was close to 9pm by then, so I broke down and called AAA, since my little lady bought the membership a few years back and put me on it. May as well get that money's worth. With the pandemic sh!t going on... I had to hit my "father in law" up for a ride home, so I left the keys with instructions and headed out.

Aaaannnd... he just pulled up with my baby on the back, safe and sound. Even managed to get her unloaded right into the shop, ready for me to try and figure out WTF? Impressive. I wasn't a big fan of the AAA deal, being such an independent soul but I have to admit... that was pretty quick, efficient and hassle free.

Any good ideas on where I should start the troubleshooting? I'll have to get some bolts and re-install the starter before I go there and I just paid 6 months of my insurance, so I'm too tight right now to throw parts at it.

I love this bitch but I'm starting to think she doesn't really care much for me.
Good grief, that’s a bummer.

Swap in a different battery and see if it turns over?

Have the current bat tested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
2,928 Posts

As biggum said, and pull off all of the grounding locations associated with the battery and solenoid and clean them up with a wire brush or wire wheel. Also, remove the solenoid from the fender and clean up the area behind it - that’s a ground too.

When the rig won’t start completely unexpectedly, and acts like a dead battery, it is almost always a bad/dirty ground. Clean ‘em all up, reinstall nice and tight, and hit the starter again!

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,076 Posts

I had a problem with mine not starting awhile back. I could jump it, run around town no problem with 13.8v on the gauge. But if I shut it off it wouldn't start again. Then it dawned on me... I had moved the ground cable recently to the support core, not sure why. Moved it the engine block and BAM, she cranked better than ever. Just an idea to check your grounds the way you described the issue.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Same issue here but mine ended up being the starter. The bendix (if that’s what they call it) broke to where you could tip the starter back and forth and the gear would slide freely in and out of the starter. Solenoid clucked fine but no cranky cranky 60% of the time.

·
35,419 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll keep that in mind but fwiw, I replaced the ground wire with a new 1/0 wire that hits the block and frame and cleaned up all the contacts when I pulled the engine last year.

·
--------------
'96 XL EEC-V 347 E40D 1356 411 6" lift 35x12.50x15
4,203 Posts
I recall whem my Optima red top went Kaputz,
it was an instant gone, no advance warnings, just done.

you try checking / charging it yet?

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll keep that in mind but fwiw, I replaced the ground wire with a new 1/0 wire that hits the block and frame and cleaned up all the contacts when I pulled the engine last year.

I'll second what @White Dragon says about batteries goin' all of a sudden dead. At least that's the way I've seen it the last 10 years or so. The cranking speed slows down over time, so gradually you don't notice it, then bam - nothing.

·
35,419 Posts

After the jump-start failed, we pulled a charger out and let it charge while I was pulling the starter and such. It didn't have enough to charge up a lot... but the charge was still holding enough today to light up the cab when I opened the p-door. Whatever drained it completely the other day seems to have gone away. The #1 reason I HATE electrical issues.

I'll second what @White Dragon says about batteries goin' all of a sudden dead. At least that's the way I've seen it the last 10 years or so. The cranking speed slows down over time, so gradually you don't notice it, then bam - nothing.
Well... I do have a fairly fresh rebuild, so she's been starting up just fine. I will keep it in mind though.
I figure one of the first things I'm going to do is slap that inline fuse in place because it's needed and I should know immediately if I have a ground that drained the battery on any of the recent tailgate work.

Guts were trashed today, so I didn't get out there to do much of anything.

Also might be working on old MUD E1 soon. Got a msg. from Aaron and he's still fighting the tailgate issue. Not sure how much help I'll be but if he's desperate enough to drive 45 minutes to bring it out here, I figure I'll try and work out a good time with him and see what we can come up with. More delay to fixing my own but... I'm a sucker that way. Will be pretty weird to work on my old rig, years later.

I have a fairly new battery in the lil' lady's '78. It's been sitting... a lot because the fuel line sprung a leak and I haven't gotten to it all winter. May or may not be an option but worth a check I guess.

19181 - 19200 of 19265 Posts