Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

19221 - 19240 of 19265 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Finally finished the rear bumper I started in 2014... :p

It's been on the truck the whole time, but today I finally finished the fuel/water can carrier for the driver's side swingout.

That bumper is pretty much what I'm looking to do for mine, do you have build specs/plans/pics/cost you would mind sharing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,419 Posts
Damn Pepe, sorry I missed your posts on the battery issues... Hopefully the interstate you got will last you the 3 years... Yes average life is 3-5, hot/cold/electrical demands all effect this, plus care an feeding. Interstate moved the majority of manufacturing to Mexico once they combined with JCI. I would have steered you towards and East Penn battery, USA made with the lowest return rate on the market. I supply the city/state/county with these in our 850CCA line with great results! At least what you got has a good warranty on it in case you have an issue!
As far as optimas, same issue, got bought by JCI, moved production to Mexico, quality went downhill. They did not make one to fit our factory group 65 however they have a couple of "feet" that snap onto the ridge on the bottom to accomodate our factory hold downs.
Batteries are awfully heavy (size to weight ratio) and potentially toxic for shipping, so I have zero experience getting a battery from anywhere I can't drive too. If I had one you could recommend, especially American made, I'd be happy to give it a go as long as it's not too much coin with shipping. Is that something you do... or just a referral?

For whatever reason, I've had excellent luck with Interstates through the years and still do (knocks on wood). As I said before, I've had the one in my '73 F250 plow truck for over 6 years now. It's the main supply and daisy chained to a WalMart EverStart but it works hard through the coldest season and sits untouched for months at a time through Spring, Summer and some of Fall.
The Interstate I used for "testing" the Bronco has been in the lil' lady's '78 for nearly a year and it's been used... maybe 4 times, sat through most of the cold winter months, untouched... and started my FSB up like it came straight off the store shelf.

I've followed enough threads here over the years (we've had a few very long and detailed ones, I know you participated in some) to know that despite many "brands", there are basically 3 places making them all... but they're not all made the same way. Beyond that... all I really know is what has worked for me.

The Optima the PO installed in mine was exactly 7" wide (too skinny) and had those snap-on feet you talk about. I remember buying the rig, spotting the Optima red and thinking to myself... "That's gonna be a problem, at some point." I was honestly surprised it lasted as long as it has.

Yup. Optima is not the product it used to be. Odyssey in my view is the best but $$$. I have a group 65 Interstate that is 13 months old in my '78 and it died over night yesterday. Off to Costco to warranty it.
A hassle to be sure... but I think all the 65 series are 30 month Free exchange, at least. Let us know how that goes.

·
Registered
726 Posts
That bumper is pretty much what I'm looking to do for mine, do you have build specs/plans/pics/cost you would mind sharing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here is my build thread for the rear bumper: Rear Bumper Build thread

The great Photbucket fiasco killed most of the pics, but there's still a lot of info there. Most of the fittings I bought from Comp4x4, which appears to have gone out of business, or at least shut down their website.

EDIT: so I discovered that FSB will let me edit the original posts in that thread, so I'll start fixing the pics. Be patient, it could take a while...

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs.
61 Posts
Changed my transfer case fluid! Took some time to get the fill plug out, it had been overtorqued and got stuck. I sprayed it with pb blaster, rattled it for a while with a 3/8 m12 impact gun, then broke it free with a breaker bar. 👌 Funny thing, the fill plug needed an adaptor, the drain plug was 3/8.

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
715 Posts
Fixed the fuel leak on the 4.9 fullsize, from that dreadful filter canister/accumulator thing Ford used for a few years.....
Quick tip, if you don’t have an o-ring for that, but you do have a spare o-ring for a 7.3 turbo outlet spider/y-pipe, give ‘er a little stretch and it’s just right for that filter housing

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco, 351w with edelbrock aluminum top end and holly 600.
2,111 Posts
Finally finished the rear bumper I started in 2014... :p

It's been on the truck the whole time, but today I finally finished the fuel/water can carrier for the driver's side swingout.

That looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco, 351w with edelbrock aluminum top end and holly 600.
2,111 Posts
Heat will kill (as in it won’t hold a charge or work anymore) faster than cold.

Batteries struggle to turn engines over in the cold due to the thick oil viscosity.

At least that’s my understanding - I’m no expert.

I went with a Duracell AGM and it’s worked great here in central Maine. Duracell Extreme DE 80 AGM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm with @BikerPepe, the whole hot vs cold thing seemed backwards, but I get the logic that heat is a batteries enemy.

@Weber, interesting on the JCI vs East Penn. I'd never heard (or more likely paid attention to) O'Reilly's Super Starts until reading that Consumer Report's article.

Did a little more digging and came across a raging debate on another forum (not that that ever happens here LOL) if O'Reilly was rebranding JCI or East Penn batteries.

Is there a website out there that cross references rebranded batteries with their original maker?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Did the annual slider clean up. Wire wheel, scotchbrite, wipe off, and coat of Rustoleum. Bumpers will be next after I pick up more paint!
Looks good!

Curious what you're using for the 'grippy' part of the step? I used 3M grip tape (like skateboard tape) the first time around, but I'm considering using the bedliner paint with grit in it this time around...

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
2,928 Posts
Looks good!

Curious what you're using for the 'grippy' part of the step? I used 3M grip tape (like skateboard tape) the first time around, but I'm considering using the bedliner paint with grit in it this time around...
Yep, that’s what this is as well. It’s lasted quite a few years - I bought this rig almost 2 years ago and the PO put it on a couple years before I bought it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Got tired of the fire extinguisher rolling around on the floor. Found a mounting bracket and got it installed.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,014 Posts
Did the annual slider clean up. Wire wheel, scotchbrite, wipe off, and coat of Rustoleum. Bumpers will be next after I pick up more paint!

@MS88Bronc , you got some better pics of that slider and how it’s mounted, I’m going to be eventually building one for my FSB and likely one for a buddies 2020 TacoMa sooner as he can afford the material loooong before I.

19221 - 19240 of 19265 Posts