Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
College User
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am going to waste the last of my money on a used atv and was looking for things to look for. My money is limited so I will be gitting a old one so just dont want to buy a totalt pos that I never can ride and is broke more than my bronco if you know what I mean. Thanks

Here are a few I am thinking about

http://adcache.atvtraderonline.com/5/6/8/81697168.htm

http://adcache.atvtraderonline.com/5/8/7/82032887.htm Is older but says new engine?

http://adcache.atvtraderonline.com/5/0/6/81838306.htm

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
for a dependable one, get the newest you ca nafford, 350cc or larger, and one thats bone stock.
a quad thats been bone stock all its life will go many more trouble free miles than a quad thats had performance mods done, ESPICIALLY on 2 stroke quads, as pipes, and jet kits allow them more power, but also run them leaner, and they tend to burn holes in pistons. alot of of old banshees, 250R's. and blasters have been bored out 3 or 4 times by now(and the next time could mean a new block or jug.) if they where run hard and had performance parts

·
Engineer
13,167 Posts
BurnedB said:
for a dependable one, get the newest you ca nafford, 350cc or larger, and one thats bone stock.
a quad thats been bone stock all its life will go many more trouble free miles than a quad thats had performance mods done, ESPICIALLY on 2 stroke quads, as pipes, and jet kits allow them more power, but also run them leaner, and they tend to burn holes in pistons. alot of of old banshees, 250R's. and blasters have been bored out 3 or 4 times by now(and the next time could mean a new block or jug.) if they where run hard and had performance parts
That's about the best advice you can get. Newest one, fewest miles, least mods. Try to find one that's stock with OEM plastic. Aftermarket bodies panels are usually a good sign of abuse. Try to find one that was stored indoors as well and check the grease fittings to make sure they were regularly greased. With proper maintenance and minimal abuse they'll run forever so there's no sense in buying one with problems that are obvious

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Good advice for sure.

Old Men who baby thier toys are the best bet.

Don't go too old either. Technology advanced quickly in the ATV world (like skidoos), and an 88 350 so and so, is not even in the same class as a 98 350 so and so.

I like the warriors (a couple of friends had them back in college), but it is tough to find one that wasn't owned by a kid, and run hard and put away wet every day.

As for the Blaster with the "New Engine", see Burnd's comments on rebuilds. Very slippery slope. I would rather buy one that has never been rebuilt, and rebuild it myself, than to trust that the last guy who may be on the second or third tear down.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ill chime on in here a bit for you. I don't want to be cocky at all, but i have a few bikes and i know more than alot of people here(no offense guys) My idea for you is to buy a 400ex. The 400 has more power, better suspension and anything better than any quad below it. its a better starting point. Blasters and warriors, banshees, 250xs, 300exs, 250rs, and etc are a thing of the past. They blow.. I used to ride a 250ex, 300ex, 250r, have rode a banshee, friend had a blaster and etc. After market plastic may be a sign of a rollover or something but some people just buy new plastics because they can be cheaper than stock(not the case with the 400ex i can get them for $200 new). Blasters, 250rs, and banshees require rebuilds often if you do not want to loose more in the long run. Blew my buddies piston out the side of the case on his blaster.:twotu: POS.. i rebuilt the whole motor and she ran good once we did a rebuild every 6 months. everything else is basically a real dinosaur. The 400ex is actually getting outdated with the yfz450, 450r, and new ltz450. The z400 and kfz400 are more money, but they are liquid cooled and have reverse. The 400ex is aircooled and has no reverse. The 05 ones do though. Right now i have a yfz450 and a 416ex, girlfriend has her yfz and pops has his POS 400ex stocker... They all run well. Yfzs require more maintence as these newer 4 strokes do. 400ex's can run literally with little to no oil. They are very good bulletproof motors. I although am religous on my motors. The yfzs and 416 are race bikes. Oil is changed after every 3 rides. I have had a crf476(custom chassis with crf450 dirt bike motor) and a previous yfz also. Both yfz motors are under going WR crank and piston kits from the WR450 motors, both getting ported heads, opening the oil jackets, and mine is getting cams over the girlfriends:thumbup The stock 400ex my dad has, has been beating on over and over. I have sunk it in mud and water many times(its how i practice in the off season) and she still runs fine.

Not to be annoying or a pain, just giving some history. Get a 400ex and be done with it. I am although selling my 416ex once the winter rebuild is done. She is getting a fresh piston and the chassis is being all powdercoated and chromed. It is a great bike and has proved itself. It doesn't need a piston, but im starting fresh anyway in case it doesn't sell. Im looking for 5k if interested. Fully aftermarket shocks, a arms, swing arm, steering stem, carbon fiber beadlocks, great plastic, etc etc and full 416 motor including cam, timing chain, valve springs, piston, porting and full hinson clutch. Let me know maybe.

·
Engineer
13,167 Posts
I've always been a honda guy as well so I'd have to agree a 400ex would be a better choice.

·
College User
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys that info should help me out alot when I go to check out a few this week.

I am also limited by what is for sale in my area (5 hours one way drive) in my price range but specific models you know are good will be considered.

BroncoKid if I had 5K to buy yours why would I not rather buy a new 06 Raptor 700 cause those are efi and insanely fast. The dealer wanted me to buy one and finance it for 7 years yea right...

·
Registered
145 Posts
gobucs said:
Thanks for the help guys that info should help me out alot when I go to check out a few this week.

I am also limited by what is for sale in my area (5 hours one way drive) in my price range but specific models you know are good will be considered.

BroncoKid if I had 5K to buy yours why would I not rather buy a new 06 Raptor 700 cause those are efi and insanely fast. The dealer wanted me to buy one and finance it for 7 years yea right...

Possibly because its the first year fuel injection model and my bike sits complete at 50" which is wider and more stable than the raptor. The raptor shocks suck, while i have full axis suspension with resiviors for more oil,, therefore less fading in the shocks. They give the bike a good stance with the sag but they ride beautifully. being fast is nothing. I have whooped many 450s last year while racing. I was the only 400ex left on the line of out 20 riders. This was when my custom crf hybrid was having carb probs(gasket on the slide was messed up) but anyway, its not about being fast. I have proved that some people can spend money and nice bikes, but can't spend money on riding skills. Pretty sad...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Im going to MMI in Orlando Florida next august for 18months.. Ill let you know how the raptor 700s are once im a certified mechanic

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,443 Posts
I think a point that's being missed here is what kind of riding experience do you have Gobuc's? No offense, but how do you know you could even handle anything bigger than a blaster? I've seen too many people with fast bikes and a lack of experience get seriously hurt or killed because they ride bikes that are out of their league. Make sure you're buying the right bike for you, and not just buying the fastest hunk of metal you can afford. And based on the fact that you are asking what to look for in a used bike, i'd have to say you don't have a lot of experience, IMHO a 400ex is too much bike for you, start small, like a blaster, if you're serious about riding you can always sell it and upgrade as your riding skills improve.

·
College User
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have practically no experience, I have riddden my buddies new raptor 700 but never went above 3rd gear cause it was fast.

I was looking at the 350cc range but would a 200cc range one be adequate?

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,443 Posts
I started on a little 80cc yamaha when I was like 5, I don't ride anymore, but the last quad I was on was a Yamaha Blaster, i think they're like a 200 if I remember correctly. A 350 or a 700 is waaaaayyyyyyy too big a bike for a beginner, I'd stick with a blaster or something similar, they'll be plenty fast enough, but not near as fast as a banshee or a 400ex. Start small, like I said, you can always upgrade. So forget about the 350, and start with a smaller bike, it'll be cheaper, and you can learn on it before you go and jump on the bigger bikes.
Good Luck,
Old Yeller

·
Registered
43 Posts
man i wish i could sell my warrior :banghead ive had it for a year an want some thing bigger real bad, id say buy a 400ex, hondas last forever an it gives you some thing to build on after. if your looking for a sport bike get the warrior or blaster, but if your looking for a high performance bike save a little more an buy something else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts