Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
broncos really weak it started out as 91 with 302,e4od on 29''s bone stock. now its a stock 302 h.o. from a mustang, with a c6, on 35's. its ridiculous how underpowered it is. no torque at all. i know i need gears but what else? its terrible i dont want a speed demon just some grunt. any suggestions on what to do for easy power would be great.thanks.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
The gears are whats killing you.

After that you might want to look at a new intake for that motor and maybe some gt-40 heads off a cobra or explorer

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
s10x1000 said:
i know i need gears
There you go.

With 35's and stock gears that's is your problem. Unless your engine runs crappy and you haven't told us about it. Did you leave the Mustang cam in the engine or did you swap to a truck cam?

·
Registered
912 Posts
3.55 to 4.56 is an AMAZING difference

·
Southeast Utah Native
920 Posts
Well the car engine with a high RPM power band isn't helping, but as everyone else has said you need to regear.

·
Registered
101 Posts
swap in a 300 with a np435/208 out of one of those dime a dozen early 80's f150's if its grunt you want, never was and never will be a fan of 302's in a truck just seems you have to rev the crap out of them to get up outta the hole makes it hard riding tight muddy trails, BUT thats my personal prejudice so ya RE-GEAR and good luck!

·
Registered
538 Posts
460 :thumbup

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
You have to realize that the mustang is much lighter and has smaller tires and is all tuned for the mustang aplication, so yes when you went to larger tires it was gutless. I bet if you go back to stock size tires or less, you will notice a diference.

What year Mustang did the motor come from? Ford detuned their mustangs in either 91 or 92. My 89 bronco came out of the factory with I think 235 horses and the mustang in the years I mentioned, were about the same or less.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
The little engine and a car cam will work fine with the right gears. I use a mid range Comp Cams dual pattern grind in my little 302 (about 275hp) and it'll pull 0-60 in 10 - 12 seconds or so with 42" tires and 5.13 gears. It'll also pull out of a tight spot in the rocks from as low as 400 rpm.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
waltman said:
My 89 bronco came out of the factory with I think 235 horses
No it didn't, atleast not with a factory 302.
Factory EFI truck 302 hp was around 190hp

Reger to 4.56:1 and ditch the Mustang cam.

What year Mustang is the engine from?

·
Registered
57 Posts
waltman said:
You have to realize that the mustang is much lighter and has smaller tires and is all tuned for the mustang aplication, so yes when you went to larger tires it was gutless. I bet if you go back to stock size tires or less, you will notice a diference.

What year Mustang did the motor come from? Ford detuned their mustangs in either 91 or 92. My 89 bronco came out of the factory with I think 235 horses and the mustang in the years I mentioned, were about the same or less.
All 87-92 mustangs are rated at 225 hp and 300 lb ft of torque while 93 was rated at 205 hp and 275 lb ft of torque. It wasn't so much that the engine was detuned in 93 but it was this was now an honest rating of what the engine had turned into slowly over the years. 87 and 88 mustangs are regarded as having a few hp more than their 89-93 counterparts due to a speed density design and a very slightly more aggressive cam. A few hp here and there lost over the years due to slight changes finally had to be accounted for and ford changed the hp rating accordingly. As best I can tell, the truck 302 is good for 185 hp and 270-280 lb ft of torque.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts