Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to have a set of street tires and want the ones 18wheelers run I can get the tires and the wheels but need to know how to adapt them to run on my D44 TTB. Anyone done this?
:toothless

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
Any reason you want to run big rig wheels?

you would have to have custom rims made to fit your backspacing, lug pattern, and the wheel. you could try having some 18 wheeler rims recentered.

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
:histerica I'm sorry man... I really did mean to laugh at this :goodfinge Actually, the weight, and leverage the truck tires and wheels would put on the D44, would ruin it in a matter of weeks. Plus, no one makes a wheel adapter to do what you want. To really pull this off, you'll need, at least, 1ton axles, and brakes - because your stock brakes won't stop all that rolling mass for nuthin

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was only half ass about the D44 thats why I threw it in there :goodfinge

one of a friend of mine's diesel club members runs wheels and tires from a dump truck or something and really loves them on the road but his was a custom job. I'm not to worried about the brakes, any axle that will run these should be able to stop them. I know there is a company out there that make adapters for this though.

I want to run them because essentially it will be the last set of road tires I will ever buy, plus I'll get all kinds of looks at stop lights :toothless
and they are availible to me basically free, both tires and wheels

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
i think the reason that you wont find an adapter, at least for a cost that will make it worthwhile, is because the bolt circle for the truck tires is bigger that the rotor on yout D44s brakes. if you want to run them, do you at least know the size rim you will need? Stazworks makes 20" rims and could make them cheaper than you will get a machine shop to make the adapters.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well what would be involved in re centering the rims like D suggested? could I bring a set of rims in to a machine shop and just have them do it? or is it more like, bring them and 3 grand in wear earmuffs to shield the laughs?

damn, this is another mod that I thought was done, I didnt think it was common but I thought that it was at least done on some kind of level, jeez Im goin crazy :wacko

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
What he means is, having the centers cut out of the wheels, and having plate steel welded back on, after it's had the center cut out, and the lug holes drilled and beveled

Dang, any chance you can get a set of 6, 19.5's? :D I'd love to put those on my Dodge

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
ok well you will need to weld in a new center. you will have to cut out the old one down to pretty close to the rim itself. then you will need a new center. again, john at staz works can get them cut. then you will need a jig to set it all up and have the center in so your wheel dont wobble. anybody else watch the lil' rascals? remember that wagon they had that had the wheels of center? looked like it was going over hill and dale on flat ground. anyhow thats all you need to do to run big rig tires. that and wear a disguise so you can always deny it was you driving your truck with them on it. what size rims/tires are they?

afterthought... i dont know for sure, but dont those tires require a split or 2 piece rim to mount? john can make them. $350 each i think for 20" rims. i dont think you can mount one on a "regular" style rim

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
axe I dont really know the specific tire wheel combo yet, Im sorry I cant disclose my source but I'm literally looking at a yard of just truck tires and wheels of all sizes and shapes.
David, I'll look for 19.5s do you have any specifc brand or tread type? are you just lookin fo tires then right no wheels?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
it makes me want to gag but if thats what your into man I'll help you :goodfinge

I'll try to get some camera phone pics tommorrow if I can get down there

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
DeepSeaSnake said:
it makes me want to gag but if thats what your into man I'll help you :goodfinge

:goodfinge There's no hurry, 'specially on my account, since I'm going to be broke very quickly, and for some time still. I was mostly curious about the possibility of getting tires and wheels in that size, and a price, so I can add that to my budget

If you do decide to take the leap to 1tons, then I would think about super single wheels, if I were you. Those would better

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
DeepSeaSnake said:

:lolup You think that Dodge is nasty looking with those semi rims and tires yet you are wanting to do this to a bronco........... :shrug :twak :boxing :lowblow :slap :wacko :wacko :wacko

I think that Dodge looks better than what the bronco would look like!!!

Or did I miss something!?!?!?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the bronc would have about 9" of lift and I'd prolly hurculine the wheels :thumbup

·
Registered
20 Posts
The semi wheel look is HUGE here in Miami. There are tons of Lifted F-250 duallies with those same wheels and a lift of 10+ inches. Theres a shop called Gaby Auto Works (GAW for short). Give them a call maybe they have some sort of conversion for your bolt pattern...I mean, they do it to these F-250's and Rams and They're way up in the sky.
Heres the #:
(305) 477-5433

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
there is a trucking mag that has lowered rigs and i always thought them little mini trucks were crappy. then a saw a fullsize dually slammed and man thats just sweet.

·
Registered
506 Posts
so you want something like this?

Personally I think it's f*n cool.
Ther is an f-650 4x4 arond here running a standard dually p/u bed. talk about intimidation factor!

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
This is Greg Adams' truck, and it was on the cover of 'Four Wheeler Magazine' in December. I LIKE IT A LOT!

The wheels are 22.5x13 Alcoa aluminum, and the tires are 385/65R22.5. It says he fabricated a set of adapters himself to fit the 10 lug pattern to his 8 lug. So I imagine that you could fabricate something to fit the 5 lug. It also says that that tire and rim setup translates to about 44x17-22.5 so you'll need lots of lift to fit them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.