Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have decided to install a 88 5.0 HO from an 88 mustang in my 89 4x4 4spd stick. I also have a 91 with a 302 non HO that I can get the intake and everything else from it to finish the job. The HO 302 has a 351 firing order. Will the computer work from the 91 302 work with the 5.0 HO or will I need to use a 351 computer or is it possible to use the mustang computer in the 89 4x4. Basicly if I put the truck intake on the 5.0HO will the non HO computer run the motor? Also the 88 mustang didnt have a MAF sensor just like the 91 truck. Any help would be great on what I need to do to finish the 5.0 HO roller in the 89 4x4. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
The truck computer is only mapped to run with it's stock engine (stock flat tappet cam, etc) it is also a different (non compatible) fuel injection system, so you can't swap intakes (and other parts) back n' fourth.

The mustang engine will bolt to you're trans. you may need to get the correct flywheel (im not sure if the 351 is balanced the same as the mustang 302) as for wiring, use ALL the mustang stuff.... you're install parts list should look like this: mustang engine, the WHOLE engine from the crank to the throttle body, with all of the mustang electronics on it, mustang wiring harness (or aftermarket harness) and mustang ECU. the engine will bolt right onto you're old engine mounts... so that's no problem.

you will need to get a truck 302 oil pan, and oil sump.. as i believe the mustang is front sump and the truck is rear, or the other way around.

don't attempt to mix any fuel injection components from the truck engine into the mustang engine.. that's all i'm trying to say.. use all mustang engine parts and it'll work fine. get a "painless" wiring harness if you want to make things easier and cleaner.

you're not the first one on this site to do this swap, do some searching and you're likely to find a writeup or two.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is no difference between a truck "long block" and a Mustang "long block" for the years in question, other than the camshaft.
The cam changes the firing order, but with pre-1994 fuel injection, all you have to do is change your plug wires to reflect the Mustang H.O. firing order.

I did this on my '93 F-150 with good results.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Yes, the truck's EFI system will run the 5.0 h.o. with no problem, just change the plug wire firing order to the 302ho/351w order.

If you wanted to, you could even use the Mustang intake, but there is no real performance gain from doing so and it will take a few minor mods to do it. The only advantage to this is it looking cool.

Side note, you can not use the Mustangs headers on your factory Y-pipe. They point in, and terminate in a differant location than truck manifolds/Shorty headers.

The truck computer is only mapped to run with it's stock engine (stock flat tappet cam, etc) it is also a different (non compatible) fuel injection system, so you can't swap intakes (and other parts)

don't attempt to mix any fuel injection components from the truck engine into the mustang engine.. that's all i'm trying to say.. use all mustang engine parts and it'll work fine. get a "painless" wiring harness if you want to make things easier and cleaner.
Wrong
Where did you come up with this?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
I feel the truck intake is better for torque than the Mustang unit.
The 302 truck intake is an awesome unit. Large runners for good flow, and there nice and long for good torque. The best of both worlds. Trick flow designed there first performance intake around the 302 truck intake, Holly still uses a copy of the truck lower for there SysteMax intake.

Like I said, the only advantage the Mustang intake has, is it does not look like a factory truck intake. And it's shorter runners, as you pointed out, could move the torque curve up a few RPM's

This is in contrast with the factory 5.8L Truck Intake, wich has only one good use.......As a boat anchor.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,137 Posts
Make sure to use the distributor that is originally in the HO motor due to it being a steel roller cam and your original motor has an iron cam.

You need the steel gear to marry the steel cam.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts