Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This particular FSB is an 89...302 Automatic.

Instead of the shifter for FWD coming up out of the floor...this one has the electric switch on the dash...to the right of the steering column.

What is this set-up called? As in...what is the designation of the type of transfer case that's used here?

I know next to nothing about FWD, but I've read here that the "electric" style that I have is less desirable???

In 1989...were they all like mine, or were some set up with the manual shifter?

This is a vehicle that I'm considering buying...hence the reason for the questions...and perhaps the justification for my not knowing more about it...yet.

Thanks so much folks, Chuck

·
Back in TEXAS
1,966 Posts
Its a push button 4x4 system. Uses an electric motor on a Borg Warner 1356 T-case. In 89 some were electric and some were manual. The manuals use the same BW1356 T-case. I don't know about the electric T-case being more or less desireable than a manual but if you buy it one thing you will want to do is swap out the automatic hubs for manuals. Easy swap and the 89 shuld have the 6 bolt autos and not the 3 bolt which require additional parts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose it doesn't really matter...but was one more expensive than the other when they were new?

So far, just about every FSB that I've seen, both in real life and on-line...have been the manual version...not like mine.

Thanks for the replies so far, Chuck

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Just to help ya out bro :thumbup

FWD=FrontWheelDrive
4WD=FourWheelDrive

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
MyFullSize said:
Just to help ya out bro :thumbup

FWD=FrontWheelDrive
4WD=FourWheelDrive

i was going to say the same thing

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
jb77714 said:
i was going to say the same thing
Two great minds that think alike! :thumbup

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,986 Posts
Ford called it "Touch Drive" and was an available option from the late 80s till 96 in the F150s and Broncos with the automatic tranny. The manual shift 1356 could also always be ordered as well.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
The only reason I'd say it's less desireable, is because of the electric shift motor located on the back of the unit. I've had mine not shift once, and I went under, beat it with a mallet twice, and it has worked fine ever since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts