Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting my 1994 5.8L EB Bronco with 138,000 miles serviced for things it needs. Heres the list and quote I was shown:

Two new rear shocks installed
New ignition switch and keys matched to doors installed
Two new motor mounts installed
Tranny Flush/Drain and new filter
Oil Change
New hose not sure what it is for, but its the largest one at the bottom of the engine right behind the front bumber installed

About $850.00 for all of it, what do you all think of this price?

Tony from Meridian Idaho :toothless

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
hell if it runs good and everything checks out good go for it. Take it to a mechanic and get them to run a compression test and leak down test and look at it over all. is there any rust on it? I would give 850 for it but that is just me

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Why motor mounts? That probably requires more labor than everything else combined. I would want to see them....cracked or some visible sign, or some vibrations that the mech. could point out before doing that. if not needed that would knock the bill down quite a bit.

You don't want to change 2 rear shocks yourself? that's a 5 min. job anyone could do. Oil/filter change, add another 1/2 hour and $18 and do it yourself???

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, he did show me the cracked mount on the passanger side thats why I agreed to do it. Yes I could probably do the shocks and oil change but I don't have a pan yet and I have never done shocks, I will probably do the next set. I forgot to add he is also going to grease my slip joint because of my clunking problem.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I paid $4600 for this thing with 137,000 miles. It drips a very little bit of oil needs tires and has a slight clunking other then that it looks, sounds and drives like brand. After this $850 I will spend on this tune up it should be in great shape until I have to replace the tranny or engine Ouch!!! that will hurt but I will do both. I love this Bronco!

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
I don't understand did you pay $4600 or $850 for the bronco?

EDIT- Ken threw me off topic here, Ken he means he is getting work on it done for 850, not buying the truck for 850.

You can change your own oil and shocks. Go buy an oil pan and oil filter wrench, you will need one anyway. A bronco is not something you buy and never do your own work. You will get murdered on labor prices for maintence and replacement parts. Get out there and learn!

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
94BattleWagon said:
Two new rear shocks installed
- easily done by you, grab a jack and grab a wrench. Dont forget to search on FSB for thread Simply shocks or something like that.
94BattleWagon said:
New ignition switch and keys matched to doors installed
- Is this whole new key to match the lock? like when you totally loose your keys? if so is have it done, this should be something you should pay for, unless you are an lock smith lol. but i never did an ignition switch, might be easy enough for a self project. Search up.
94BattleWagon said:
Two new motor mounts installed
- I guess you could pay for this, IF it really needs done. It is alot of work.
94BattleWagon said:
Tranny Flush/Drain and new filter
- Do it yourself. search on here for tutorial threads, theres alot of them. Add a massive tranny cooler and remote filter while your down there.
94BattleWagon said:
Oil Change
- Dont even try getting out this one, do it. :twak
94BattleWagon said:
New hose not sure what it is for, but its the largest one at the bottom of the engine right behind the front bumber installed
- It is probably the one for the radiator, its easy, go to napa or autozone and tell them you need a new one. Might as well change all the radiator hoses while your down there. change and flush the system too.

94BattleWagon said:
About $850.00 for all of it, what do you all think of this price?
- Just pay for the locks and only do the engine mounts if it really needs it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hear its so easy to do this remote tranny filter, I want to do one I just don't know wich is the return line so I am not 100% sure wich line to splice into?
How can I tell?

Should I buy a Chiltons or a Haynes manual or something else for my '94 to do my own work?

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
well i mis read this thread huh. i thought he was buying it for 850. shit i would just replace all that shit myself aint that hard

·
Registered
686 Posts
our price at goodyear for all this estm.

Two new rear shocks installed 100.00
New ignition switch and keys
matched to doors installed 250.00
Two new motor mounts installed 300.00
Tranny Flush/Drain and new filter 120.00
Oil Change 30.00
New hose (lower rad hose) 55.00

Plus tax yaddy yaddy about 900+ So sounds about right for everything but I would do it all myself and a locksmith for the lock pins changed

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I only wish I had the equipment and more important the knowledge. I love working with my hands and would not hessitate to do all this myself if I had somebody to show me how and guide me. I have only had this thing a couple weeks and have barley driven it I am waiting for my other car to get repowed and this Bronco becomes my primary vehicle.

I am trying to learn as much as I can from this forum about my vehicle and the common problems that go along with owning a 1994 EB with 138,000 miles on it. Any books you guys recommend?I need to get to school, work and day care with this thing and hit the many trails we have around the Boise area can't wait.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
The Haynes or Chiltons and searching and asking on here should give you more than enough help to do the things you need to do. Buy the parts, take your time and spend the money you save on beer.:beer

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like theres some good people amogst ya'll in this Bronco Family

kenny714 said:
The Haynes or Chiltons and searching and asking on here should give you more than enough help to do the things you need to do. Buy the parts, take your time and spend the money you save on beer.:beer
Thanks for your support, I don't believe this thing will be cheap to keep on the road, but it will get me places safley and with pride.:toothless

·
Registered
30 Posts
These guys are telling you straight. With the exception of the motor mounts and lock-N-Key those are all things that you should be able to do with a little time and paitence.

My room mate and I are by no means mechanics but in the last few months we've managed to put new springs (front and rear), freeze plugs, clutch and shocks on his Bronco II and a new transfer case seal on my 94 Toyota 4x4. Weve done all this with just a few basic hand tools, the internet, and a repair manual.

Take the money they are going to charge you for labor and buy tools. I'd be willing to bet you can buy all the tools you'll need to do those things for less than $50.

I work on compound bows and archery equipment for a living, but I can only do it because I took the time to teach myself how 15yrs ago and they don't really make detailed repair manuals for that.

·
Registered
319 Posts
yeah take baby steps, but make sure everything gets done when it needs to but face it its 12 years old somethings bound to go wrong sometime the more familiar you are with it the more likely you are gonna be able fix it in an emergency or do preventative maintenance to prevent a possible serious problem, even just doing oil changes you get familiar with the underside and notice if somethings hangin down that shouldnt or leaking or loose etc etc. this couldnt prevent a roadside breakdown etc.

the more you know............. cause knowledge is power, lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do it yourself. I only got my license for the first 6 months ago and I change my own oil, recently flushed the radiator, replaced the thermostat and thermostat housing seal, and before to long I'm going to flush and drain my tranny. It aint hard, and it's better than paying a mechanic $20+ an hour to do it for you.

If the key switch is bad, you might be able to replace it yourself, if you can get it into the run position, you can put in a new cylinder fairly easily. You don't want to fool with motor mounts, have somone do it for you
Tank92 said:
our price at goodyear for all this estm.

New hose (lower rad hose) 55.00
Think about it. The accual hose only costs what? About $15? It aint cheap when someone else does it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
you should be able to do all of this except for the motor mounts relatively easily and the tranny if youre going to flush everything rahter than exchanging fluid. i think the shocks are ridiculous becasue 100 bucks sounds ok but they are probably the 15 dollar shocks that wont last. do it yourself and learn something new.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts