Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im consitering, heavily, the idea of grabbing a pickup. Im doing a lot of parts gathering and helping people with property where a truck is useful recently. Ive been doing parts and metal grabbing int eh mustang and its a pain with the size and I hate tearing that thing up.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/car/563335005.html

I called the guy, he swears up and down the mileage is correct, he bought it from an old dude, im still not sure though. He says mechanically it is great, no problems, and will take 900. I think im going to go up and look at it/ possibly get it sunday.

What do you guys think of that truck.

And does anyone have carfax So i can run this truck to see the true mileage.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the mustang isnt being to practical to say the least. Tough to get metal and car parts with that thing, plus I hate tearing up the interior.

So cheap pickup, here I come.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Drive it. If it drives decently, buy it. I would.

I wonder what's up with the engine being blue...and clean...it might really only have 75k...in which case it's a steal and a half. If it has 175k and drives well enough to get home it's still a steal.

We had a 4.9L/M5OD combo go well over 300k miles in a farm truck application ( read: "**** the mule, load the wagon" :D ) without EVER doing anything to the engine but maintenance. The tranny took about ten slave cylinders over the years though... Keep in mind for the last 50k or so we avoided the highway like the plauge. It could have been easily fixed, but at that point we were mainly just seeing how long the damn thing would last. Far as I know it's still going; a hand bought it years ago :toothless

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it;ll be a 4 sp as the M5OD was later. But either way, thanks, im hoping he still has it sunday if so, im takin it for a drive.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Yeah, regardless if the mileage is 75K or 175K, that motor can easily get to 300K without ever taking the valve cover off. As long as it runs, you are good to go.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Did you notice the Oregon license plate? I hope the registration is current. May be tough to smog here. Looks pretty clean through.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
hes full of crap about gettin good mileage 300 6cyl are terrible on gas but great tough trucks u can put over 200 thou. easily on one.

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
hes full of crap about gettin good mileage 300 6cyl are terrible on gas but great tough trucks u can put over 200 thou. easily on one.
Compared to our 302s and 351s? That thing will get great mileage compared to the junk we all slug around. Had one of these once for me it was a piece of crap only because of the smog crap and the wannabe fuel injection (It was a carb fitted with a fuel injector total and absolute nightmare). Even with it's problems in design the truck pulled 16-17 MPG regularilly with a slushbox and city driving.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
It looks like a 4x4 4 speed, right? If so hell yes I'd pick it up. If it runs, will pass inspection and is under $1500 you're getting a pretty good deal.

Only thing I'd be wary about is the claimed mileage. I didn't notice it until someone pointed it out, but the motor is blue.

For a 1985 that's "bad", it means it's either not the original motor or has had service which required the removal of the head and valve cover. 1985 300-6's should be Ford grey top to bottom.

Again, if it runs well it'll treat you right but i'd be asking about the vehicle service record.

As for economy, my 85 300-6 4 speed 4x4 would bring back 17mpg all day long at a 60mph cruise. 300's are very sensitive to vaccum leaks and timing, but once you get everything on it'll treat you right.

Justin

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didnt notice that plate, good spot, ill check before I go up there.

Im pretty sure its a 4x2 too.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
It's almost certainly 4x2 (I don't see a t-case shifter), but that doesn't matter. You could easily make the thing 4x4 for under $600 if you were so inclined. If all you're doing is fetching parts and DDing, it doesn't matter anyway...Hell, SAS the Bronco and put the TTB in the pickup :D

I thought the blue was suspect...

minihijack, Hoxvii, that is one of the nicest looking F150s I've seen in a while. :twotu:

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/556805651.html

What you guys think about this.. Okay heres the deal. I want a cheap wheeling truck. this one is suppose to be a manual 5spd and efi inline 6. The guys says its runs rough and the truck shakes driving down the road.

its 3hrs away... I have been holding out for a efi 351/c6... because I don't know if I will like wheeling with a light duty manual transmission.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,783 Posts
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/556805651.html

What you guys think about this.. Okay heres the deal. I want a cheap wheeling truck. this one is suppose to be a manual 5spd and efi inline 6. The guys says its runs rough and the truck shakes driving down the road.

its 3hrs away... I have been holding out for a efi 351/c6... because I don't know if I will like wheeling with a light duty manual transmission.
Go get your own thread dude. But to answer your question, it could easily be fixed and runnin good for little $$.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts