Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 93 (cabernet red/red interior) had aftermarket window tint which I tend to hate.

I have already removed it from the front windows and vent windows. and a strip across the front windshield all within one day of getting the truck, so much cleaner look.

I'm a little torn about removing it from the back half of the truck though. I'm assuming most Broncos of that era came from the factory w/o any tinting, and I like that look. But I also enjoy the little bit if privacy and sun protection it affords. What are your all's thoughts?

For reference the tinting, even that I removed wasn't bubbling or anything...I just waited for the sun to get warm the other day, peeled it out pretty easily, the cleaned off any remaining adhesive with rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,318 Posts
Unless it's so dark you can't see out the back window, I would leave it on. The topper looks better with the glass tinted, and it is functional for keeping people from seeing what you've got stored back there. I just added factory tinted topper windows to mine and much prefer the look to non-tinted. I just wish they made a tinted tailgate window so I don't have to get it bronze tinted to match.

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,900 Posts
Most of the topper windows that I have harvested from the junkyard have all been tinted from the factory. Some of the earlier full size broncos had clear windows, but not the later ones I have gotten a hold of. I checked my factory tint side windows on my topper and had the back glass tinted to match. I think it looks really good. The trick is to have someone that knows what they are doing tint your windows that way you dont get a ton of bubbles. If you get the bubble disease tinted windows do look like crap.

·
Registered
623 Posts
This discussion leads to a great question. My Bronco has the factory tinted “privacy glass” on the top’s side. It appears to me to have a bit of a golden tint to it. Has anyone ever perfectly matched this and if so, what product and shade did you use?

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,900 Posts
When I checked the window tint on my topper glass it measured out to be 24. It also had a metallic sheen to it. I'm sure it has to do with the process the factory used to tint it. You may be able to find aftermarket add on tint that has a metallic tint but I just went with a standard window 20 tint. Unless you "inspect" looking for a difference in the shades you won't see a difference.

I am terribly OCD about aesthetics and if I can live with this very small difference then I would think most others could as well.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,318 Posts
Most of the topper windows that I have harvested from the junkyard have all been tinted from the factory. Some of the earlier full size broncos had clear windows, but not the later ones I have gotten a hold of.
Maybe it's another thing that varies by region (i.e., what options were popular), but around here, I'd say at least 75% of the FSB's I've seen have non-tinted topper glass, regardless of generation.

The factory tint is mirrored like one-way glass, which I think is what gives it that metallic sheen. It's in between two sheets of glass, but the inner sheet is extremely thin, judging from a scratch in one of my panes that goes through the tint. We're talking too thin to measure, like not much more than a thousandth of an inch. Even so, the tinted panes are noticeably heavier than the clear ones.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So a bit of an update, after pulling it from the door windows and vents and the strip across the top of the windshield (there was some much lighter factory tinting under that) - prob going to end up doing the back windows. Just looks more like a classic truck to me.

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
llumar and 3m window tint film is well regarded. It's only sold to shops under the dealer program and by the roll.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts