Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to look at one after work. odo shows 71K, im guessing 171K guy says it runs great. He said 4 gears and overdrive, so im guessing its a 4sp total, 4 cyl.

Anyone know anything bout these trucks. I was looking for newer, but hell if it runs good, may pick up it, hes asking 900.

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
You're in CA, so it is probably alot different.

Around here, those Rangers are literally one of the cheapest trucks you can find.

A 2wd 4 cyl. stickshift '84 Ranger would be VERY hard pressed to go for $500.

So $900 sounds way high to me. Aside from the financial aspect, I do not have much experience with the 4 cyls, but I know the 2.8 and 2.9 V6's worked up a VERY poor reputation before being replaced with the 3 and 4 liters.

Aside from that, if the price is right for your area, an '84 Ranger isn't a bad truck or anything. Would be a good all around vehicle for you, if that is fair market value.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:toothless

I was hoping for more along hte lines of engine and tranny info. Looks like a 5sp is listed as an option on some sites, guess I will just have to check it out

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're in CA, so it is probably alot different.

Around here, those Rangers are literally one of the cheapest trucks you can find.

A 2wd 4 cyl. stickshift '84 Ranger would be VERY hard pressed to go for $500.

So $900 sounds way high to me. Aside from the financial aspect, I do not have much experience with the 4 cyls, but I know the 2.8 and 2.9 V6's worked up a VERY poor reputation before being replaced with the 3 and 4 liters.

Aside from that, if the price is right for your area, an '84 Ranger isn't a bad truck or anything. Would be a good all around vehicle for you, if that is fair market value.

thanks. I was planning on offering less, but most rangers i see in this range have busted motors or trans. I have heard bad about the 6cyl, and really good things bout the 4cyl. Ill see how she does i guess.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
if it is a 84 2.0 it will be a dog. the tranny is most likely a toyo kogo 5 speed. the later 2.3 is a much better motor. they didn't install a 3spd with overdrive in the ranger bkoII's so if it has overdrive its a 5 sp.
i personally loved the 2.9 with the mitsu 5sp combo, i had excellent luck with them. the 86-87 2.9's were better(less head warping probs). the 2.8 wasn't too bad as long as you keep the valves adjusted.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it was the V6, i'm looking for a 4 for gas mileage, but ill keep this one in mind. It was a 5sp, ran pretty good, good clutch, clean oil, when it did, but under any throttle it would die, so im thinking carb rebuild or fuel filter. Plus i would have to carb it, which might not be bad For now im going to look for a late 80's 4cyl 5sp.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What happened to the F150?
Yea it was crap

holes in the belhousing, ALL smog removed, second tank missing (not the filler, found that out), tranny wouldnt downshift unless it was a specific speed, key would not come out of the column, bed was crooked with different hardware and 2 painted frame spots. yea, it was out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts