Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

What do you look for when buying a Third Gen Bronco?

5K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  tbrooks 
#1 ·
Hello,
Tuesday I am going to look at a 1986 Ford Bronco at a pick n pull. I have always wanted a Bronco, and at $1799 (OBO), I feel like this could be a good get. There isn't that much info on the site other than it runs ("fires right up") and that it looks to be complete with a salvage title. It looks to be an automatic from the pictures and definitely has 4WD. Other than the obvious things to look for, what are some trouble areas or common issues that I should look out for? Anything that would disqualify it even at that price? I work on cars pretty regularly as a hobby, but haven't dealt with a ford before.
Thanks in advance,
Jaryd

#2 ·
I would find out where it was wrecked, and really check that area on it, especially the frame. Can you drive it? Make sure it doesn't shimmy like heck at 55 mph.

Probably plan on redoing everything on it (ball joints, u-joints, bushings, suspension, etcetera) as it probably wasn't maintained.

#3 · (Edited)
Salvage title at 1800 obo? It went to the pick-n-pull for a reason, or perhaps several. I think you can find safer bets in that price range. Clean title a must for me, but depending on intended use, salvage may be acceptable. Tread carefully.

#4 ·
Rust, on these Broncos rust or lack of, is what most of your buying money is going towards. A Salvage title with zero rust (I mean zero) would not phase me too much.
This is a little dependent on where you live too though.

#6 ·
Rust, on these Broncos rust or lack of, is what most of your buying money is going towards. A Salvage title with zero rust (I mean zero) would not phase me too much.
This is a little dependent on where you live too though.
I live in the bay area, so if this truck was in CA all its life it could be pretty solid. Obviously it could be from anywhere so I'll definitely be on the lookout for rust. The pictures aren't the best quality, but it looks pretty solid around the areas I would expect rust.

#7 ·
The Pick n Pull has it listed as salvage, apparently I have to get the salvage title from the DMV. I haven't even looked into what sort of can of worms that is. Probably just proving that the wrecked parts are fixed. Other than the hood not being closed all the way in the pictures it doesn't look like it's been in an accident. I'll know better tuesday. I'm skeptical, I think it's been there for a hot second; so it could be a bust.

#25 ·
Sold with a dismantlers bill of sale...
4.070 Dismantler’s Bill of Sale
A Dismantler’s Bill of Sale is issued by a dismantler when a vehicle is sold that the dismantler reported as junk. It must include the dismantler’s acquisition number.
Ran the vin for u... 302 efi...4wd. 1 recall listed.
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
Report Receipt Date
09-04-1987
NHTSA Campaign:
87V139000
Summary:
SPRING LOCK FUEL LINE COUPLING MAY NOT BE PROPERLY ENGAGED.
Consequence:
COUPLING COULD DISENGAGE DUE TO FUEL PRESSURE,VIBRATION, AND ENGINE MOVEMENTS; THIS WOULD CAUSE LOSS OF FUEL WHICH, INPRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, CREATES A FIRE RISK.
Remedy:
INSTALL RETAINER CLIPS OVER THE COUPLINGS TO PREVENT COUPLING SEPARATION AND FUEL LEAKAGE
Says no auctions no incidents so why did the dismantler junk it?
In my vin check app it says the mileage is 468,975 🤔
Market value $1043 Eddie Bauer trim.

Well I dunno how much any of that helps but 🤷 there if ya need it.

#9 ·
If not rusty, my next thing on the list is previous work that I would consider "hack" or questionable. Usually the more stock the electrical system appears the better off you are. It can be really hard to track down issues not knowing what someone else has done. Different situation if you have installed all the stuff. Notice I haven't said anything about engine/trans... My thoughts there are just prepare for a rebuild, anything more consider your self luck, especially in that price range.

Random thought, can an 86 be considered salvage there if it cannot pass emissions?

#11 ·
That make sense. A friend of mine with an 85 basically said that I should buy a new wiring harness right out of the gate, that seems excessive but I don't know.
Salvage in California is only when a car is involved in an accident and the insurance company deems it too costly to repair. With older cars, that can be pretty minor damage. A car can't be deemed salvage for not passing smog, but you can't register it without passing smog.

#21 ·
The yard has to sell it with a salvage title as a legal requirement so someone doesn't sue them that they are selling "unfit" vehicles for the road. So they call them "builder vehicles" as a legal precaution. Once they are processed into their system they must be sold like that. It could have no damage that would brand the title as salvage; IMO it's a very good deal. The yards will also negoiate on the price you could even tell them you want certain parts thrown in free from the yard to fix it. Say a 3g alternator, battery, tires, etc. The truck needs work no doubt all the vehicles are from an auction (local or salvage) or someone sold it to the junkyard maybe due to city harassing them about a junk "ugly" vehicle.

Dont wait around trying to "get it cheaper" because theres a set time period of days they will attempt to sell it then the next day you will see in the yard for parts. They dont care one bit.

#23 ·
Looks pretty straight, doesn't look like a bad deal at a glance. I'd see about taking it for a drive up the street at least, if the brakes are working okay. A couple areas to check: frame for cracks where the steering gear bolts on and the roof for cracks at the rear of the drip rails.

Reactions: BroncMom
#31 ·
Keep in mind that a lot of people don't realize the potential value of the Broncos. So when they are driving one and someone hits them and they are carrying liability insurance and the at fault driver's insurance company offers say $4000 and they total the truck -there ya go.

For me personally, rust is the value killer. Even if you do the work yourself, and you figure your own labor is free - the time plus the cost of tools and panels etc to correctly fix the rust damage adds up.

The difference between trucks / SUVs (like the Bronco) and say Musclecars etc is that most people used the Bronco as it was designed - to haul people, haul cargo, go offroad etc. So they tend to be used a lot harder and end up being in worse shape.

#32 · (Edited)
I looked for years and years for my 86, and my biggest concern was that it was all there, and not completely rotted out. Mine is rusty, needs a rear crossmember & the quarters need some patchwork, and i already have bought the Crossmember & patch panels, & i can do of this work, that didn't scare me. The bolt on parts like hoods, fenders, doors, all that sheet metal can all be bought cheap, its a non concern. Interior being all there, a/c components, were a must. Motor & trans werent, i can do that in a weekend. Mostly it being all there was my concern, anything can be fixed, restored, welded, painted, replaced, its the little parts you can't find that are the killers to me.

#34 ·
Unless you want to do a lot of work, STAY AWAY.

I see lots of issues. Mismatched interior panels, wrong fender emblems, rust in some touchy areas, and an odd paint job. Also, 85 and 86 302s are fuel injected and parts are not as common as 87+ nor as reliable.

Though if you just want a trail beater that you can still drive around town, thats not too bad of a start. I would eventually look at swapping the factory efi out for a holley sniper efi system.

Some insurance agencies will not fully cover a salvage titled vehicle. I bought a 96 f350 diesel crew cab long bed with a salvage title for 11k. It was totalled due to minor tornado damage on the roof. State farm would only do liability, and then the shop burned down around it after i put another 5-6k into it. I got absolutely nothing for it. Not a fuxking cent. I had the salvage company cut the D60 from under the front and the ranch hand bumper off the back. Then i watched them toss the truck in a dumpster.

#40 · (Edited)
I noticed that the passenger door panel and the center console are blue while the interior seems to be beige. It also looks like the front fenders don't fit well, Someone has been fixin' it. Also, a salvage title will usually cut the market value of a vehicle in half. My son bought his first car in 1994 with a salvage title from a JY owner in the Bay Area. When I found out it was a salvage I did a pretty thorough inspection of the car (a '69 Mustang SportsRoof with a swapped in Mach 1 interior) and couldn't find any obvious damage except it looked like the right front fender didn't fit so swell. That was 26 years ago and he still has the thing. We did some cosmetic resto on it and actually showed it at local Mustang shows. Some of these vehicles reached the nadir of their resale value and then had minor accidents that caused the insurers to total the car. It would cost more to fix them than they were worth at the time. I'm pretty sure that's how my son's fastback got a salvage title. It's been a great car for him and it only cost him $3,500.

#41 ·
Hello,
Tuesday I am going to look at a 1986 Ford Bronco at a pick n pull. I have always wanted a Bronco, and at $1799 (OBO), I feel like this could be a good get. There isn't that much info on the site other than it runs ("fires right up") and that it looks to be complete with a salvage title. It looks to be an automatic from the pictures and definitely has 4WD. Other than the obvious things to look for, what are some trouble areas or common issues that I should look out for? Anything that would disqualify it even at that price? I work on cars pretty regularly as a hobby, but haven't dealt with a ford before.
Thanks in advance,
Jaryd
Jaryd - Glad you are looking to join the Bronco nation! I am not knocking your description of the truck (and definitely has 4WD). There seem to be a lot of folks out there that do not know that Ford never, ever, not even once, made a two wheel drive Bronco. Even the folks at Twilight Zone and O'Really's don't seem to know that.

Chevy and GMC made tons of two wheel drive Blazers and Tahoe's and Yukon's, but Ford . . .

Enjoy your find!

TB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.