Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of the dixie flag and what does it mean to you?

I know its the symbol of the dixie chapter and I'm probably gonna catch hell for this but I'm from the south currently and I dont see all the point in it. Let me say I was born in the the north and spent my first 10 years there, but have spent the last 18 years here in the south. I have lived as far as 30 min from Canada up in upstate NY, I still have family in the north and go up there every year.

I think the damn civil war ended a long time ago and dont understand why so many fly the flag. Most of the time I see it, the people look, how do I say this without offending, like redneck. You know the type who is rascist and likes no other color other than white. Therefore it seems offensive to me and alot of others.

Its not that I'm black or anything, I'm 75 percent white myself, mixed with some American Indian and hispanic blood too. But I beleive in equal treatment of all races. You dont judge by skin color but by a persons character.

Maybe I just read more into the flag, I dont dislike those who have it on their truck or anything. And I try to remember that they dont deserve judgement anymore than any others.

But the war ended a long time ago and dixie lost, so get rid of the flag and fly the US Flag :usa this is the reason I wont oder any of the dixie chapter stuff form FSB's online store because I dont want a hat or shirt with the dixie flag on it, I guess some might just think that I must still be a damn yankee at heart:toothless But I dont believe in the north and the south anymore, c'mon we have the west now too, and we dont need to be fighting each other anymore, but those overseas who threaten our way of life.

That just my .02 cents, whats yours on this subject?
:usa

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
It's never bothered me any. Whatever feelings it conjurs up with other people is fine. I got better things to do than worry about a flag that's been around longer than me.

If there is one thing that bothers me, it's the fact that it's kinda played out. It's kinda like the iron cross stickers, OCC stickers, Calvin pissing on everything stickers. Just kinda lame to me.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
Boy Mogley !

Y'all iz opinin' up a huge can of werms there ain't chall ?

Up here, in un-related Canada, if you see one in the back window of a pickup, you know you're following a [email protected]$$ country-F#@k redneck, wanna-be Southerner.

I don't think us Canajians know what it really means to you Southern Americans.

Sixlitre

·
green ones make me horny
11,152 Posts
without offending, like redneck. You know the type who is rascist and likes no other color other than white. Therefore it seems offensive to me and alot of others
what the hell is that. i am a redneck and i look like one so that makes me a racist. well derrick i cant talk to you no more. sorry bro'

Maybe I just read more into the flag, I dont dislike those who have it on their truck or anything. And I try to remember that they dont deserve judgement anymore than any others.

But the war ended a long time ago and dixie lost, so get rid of the flag and fly the US Flag this is the reason I wont oder any of the dixie chapter stuff form FSB's online store because I dont want a hat or shirt with the dixie flag on it, I guess some might just think that I must still be a damn yankee at heart But I dont believe in the north and the south anymore, c'mon we have the west now too, and we dont need to be fighting each other anymore, but those overseas who threaten our way of life.

That just my .02 cents, whats yours on this subject?
well it is a piece of cloth and represents a rather large part of southern history, not just racism and all that. it is funny how the majority of the people offended by the flag are from the north. i lived on a farm in a country town with both black and white people. we were all poor and worked for the same thing. to feed our family and nothing more. there were no quams or race wars. and the black people had the alabama flag and the confederate flag flying over there house. expalin that to me.

oh and by the way it is the confederate flag, not the dixie flag or rebel flag.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Im born and raised florida boy. Both of my parents are from the north - Philadelphia and New York, Respectively. I go up north at least a few times a year.

The dixe flag is everywhere down here. Trucks, Hats, Belt Buckles, Stickers, T-Shirts. You name it, You can buy it.

It is one of those things. Some people believe "THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!". Others believe its a sign of racism, hatred and inbred backcountry rednecks.

A good friend of mine who was in his late 70's and i believe his grandfather fought for the confederate army explained it to me much like this. Everyone has their views of it. But, For those who understand its heritage its more of a way of life than a political standing.

I dont see why its such a controversy, Theres alot more f*&%ed up things to deal with.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Sixlitre said:
Boy Mogley !

Y'all iz opinin' up a huge can of werms there ain't chall ?

Up here, in un-related Canada, if you see one in the back window of a pickup, you know you're following a [email protected]$$ country-F#@k redneck, wanna-be Southerner.

I don't think us Canajians know what it really means to you Southern Americans.

Sixlitre
Now I take offense to that ya hear? :toothless No hear in Minnesota, the dixie flag just means ya got your woodsmen side in ya. I love minnesota, but here, we basically do the same sh*t them southerners do to be called rednecks. We's just a little colder up here. If it pisses ya off, so be it. I get pissed when people to ghetto yet I don't kill them.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
I was born and raised in Ohio, but i am big time into history.

When i see someone flying the rebel flag, or something with the rebel flag on it, i see if i can converse with them to see what it means to them.

There are some that say the typical redneck response, use of terms i care not to repeat.

Some of the other responses are rather intriguing. It's more about pride than it is racism. It's more about heritage. There are a lot of things that came into use today because of southern engineering, like the submarine. People are still proud of that.

If you think the Civil war was all over racism and slavery, you need to re-read your textbooks. There were some southerners fighting that didn't even believe in slavery, they fought because they didn't want the government telling them what they could and couldn't do.

I guess what it comes down to, is really how i see it displayed. Some people just fly it to piss people off, and others actually have reasoning behind it.

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
I don't care what people think it stands for and if you think it is for racism then stay ignorant. It is that simple.....

I love the south.....

:rebelflag :rebelflag :rebelflag :rebelflag :rebelflag :rebelflag :rebelflag :rebelflag :rebelflag :rebelflag :rebelflag :rebelflag :rebelflag :rebelflag :rebelflag :rebelflag :rebelflag :rebelflag :rebelflag :rebelflag :rebelflag :rebelflag

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Mogley, please don't take this the wrong way, but you're a yankee, and in the south we don't give a crap what yankees think of us. Yes, you have lived down here longer than you lived up there, but that really is immaterial. You're born a yankee, you stay a yankee. Sorry, I don't make the rules. So, a yankee doesn't like the Southern Cross? Shocking.

As for the flag, what you see in it is truely in the eye of the beholder. I know there are a lot of people of your mindset who look at it and see nothing but overt rascism, they can't imagine any other meaning it might have. Frankly I find that more than a little sad. We tell them that it is a proud symbol of our heritage, they think we are lying and are closet rascists. It is imaterial to them that the civil war had very little to do with slavery, they opt instead for the revisionist pap that most history books contain. Here's a nice read if you're interested in the civil wars true causes:

http://ourworld.cs.com/mikegriffith1/southernsidecondensed.htm

To me the flag has nothing to do with rascism, but rather it is a symbol of my southern pride. It is a symbol of standing up to unjustified northern opression. Think I'm living in the past? Yankees continue to look down there noses at us today, ask some of your buddies up north about that and you'll find that it's true. I have no intention of refighting the civil war, but belive me when I tell you that we in the south LOVE how annoyed yankees get at the sight of flag. It just makes me feel good deep down in that not-so-nice part of my heart.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
Dave's Bronc 90 said:
It just makes me feel good deep down in that not-so-nice part of my heart.
not all us Yankees think poorly of it. To me it resembles freedom more than the american flag. The fact that the United States actually SEPERATED and fought against ITSELF because it had the ability to do that was amazing to me.

Don't get me wrong, i am a flag waving american to the death, but it puts a little smile on my face to think that at one point our nation was actually two neighboring nations fighting against each other, all over freedom.

·
Registered
561 Posts
marv said:
Life is full of labels, signs, symbols and symbolism. I guess I hate those NFL end-zone "dances".
:rockon

Hate 'em to.

Hey, someone invent a northern dixie flag so I can hang it outside my house. NORTHERN PRIDE!!

I'd move to the south if it weren't so darn hot all the time! I guess I fly the american and minnesotan flag more than I do the dixie, but I love the dixie and where would america be without it?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I have never lived in the South, just Cali and Nevada all my live, but I have a southern flag on the wall in my bedroom, and a big 8x11 on the wall in the hallway. I even have one in my Camper that I fly on a 24' pole when I'm parked.
Everyone always assumes its just a racist or redneck thing, Well I'm not a rasict and I don't really consider myself a redneck, allthough a lot of other people do. There is a lot of people and types of people I hate. Some I hate enoufgh to wish death on them. Yes, some of them are black, but it has nothing to do with there color.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I'm really surprised it hasn't been banned yet. Some states have already changed their state flag so they won't offend "anyone". The facts are-if you live in the south you're a racist,if you like the confederate flag you are a racist, if you make any comment against any minority group you are a racist. I could say more but some might think i'm a racist.:whiteflag

·
Registered
307 Posts
flags are usually created for a reason or a belief and when people believe in something enough to die for it then they have a right to be proud of it. if we had lost the war against england do you think anybody would still have am american flag fying? i'm sure some of us sure would. very little of the civil war was acually about slavery lincoln just brought that part into it to gain support. flags don't bother me either way.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,654 Posts
Me (being a 'damn yankee' ;) ) always thought they flew it cuz they were pissed they lost the war :goodfinge
I dont really like being called a yankee, either (unless its in jest). WTF is that supposed to mean? im some city dwellin yuppie who dont know the barrel of a gun from the butt, who gets lost driving down a straight road, and doesnt know what a horse or a cow is? Those city dwellin yuppie assholes all come from NYC dammit! I tell ya, its funny how one city can ruin the reputation of all its neighboring states :goodfinge
And whats with all this 'The south will rise again!!' BS? Ya know we'll just smack all yall asses back down into submission again anyway :goodfinge :histerica

But being serious..
This is like the whole Swastika thing (gasp, i said the S word!). Apparently it doesnt mater what it means, only what people relate it to. And of course 'up north' thats primarily slavery, even though it was legal in the northern states too. Its all political BS.

·
Pissin' into the wind
2,523 Posts
flag1 (flăg)
n.

1. A piece of cloth, usually rectangular, of distinctive color and design, used as a symbol, standard, signal, or emblem.

2. National or other allegiance, as symbolized by a flag: ships of the same flag.

3. A ship carrying the flag of an admiral; a flagship.

Flags are cool, this nation has had a great history with all of its flags. I only wish more people flew them. I've got to go pick up a new one as a matter of fact.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts