Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will always love broncos. After my last one was completely gone I knew the bug would bite again. I found this one on craigslist, it needs work but I'm at a point where I want something to work on. I've done the build then bash thing and I'm not going to do that again.

Right now, I'm trying to work out a trade deal for this bronco.

Craigslist add says 1978 ford bronco with a later model big block 460 with a holly highrise aluminum intake and a holly 4barrel carb. its lifted sittin on 35 maxxis with decent tread and nice rims. runs strong, the motor is in perfect condition and it sounds brand new, has 55000 miles on it. its got cherry-bombs on it, sounds mean, i just put all new bearing and seals in the rear axle and i just put all new universal joints in the rear driveshaft, the only big thing wrong with it is that it has a different geared rear end in it, the front has 350 gears and the back has 357 gears so you cant use the 4wd unless you change the rear end or let air out of the back tires. He is asking 1800 obo, its an automatic.

He says the only rust is a little surface rust on the pass. door but I'd have to look it over.

I'm wanting to trade him a nice ar15 plus about 500 cash.
I've got $900 in the rifle

What do you think?

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
I would look at the rear floor boards in the corners just behind the front seats.

Also stock was front 3.50:1 gears and rear was 3.55:1 gears so you should be ok with 4x4.;)

Is it a np 203 or a np 205 transfer case?

Shift patterns np 203 on the left and np 205 shift pattern on the right.

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts
Doesn't sound like a bad trade at all to me. Just a couple of questions, why were all joints replaced, why is rear shaft not on in picture. Check state of tranny.
Good find Rick and i would be wondering the same about the rear shaft. Deffinaitly check under the carpet to see what it looks like.

Make sure you test drive it around town and on highway (check all fluids)

S/N: Is there a thread/check list of things to check before buying a bronco?

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
Looks like a good rig! I would be happy with it even if it had a bunch of problems nothing a little TLC wont fix!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up not getting it. Mainly because it was over 3 hours one way to get there. I didn't feel like spending a whole day bringing it home and all that diesel money.

I am going to keep shopping for one a little closer to home. I'd also really like to have one with a 4 speed already in it.

I guess we'll see what pops up.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
gee wiz man. I drove 6 hrs each way to get one that I had to pull onto the trailer for not a lot less money and more rust. It was the exact bronco I had been looking for as far as colors and options. Don't be afraid to spend a little green to get what you want. That truck up here would be way more than that. As far as the rear shaft. Guys think about it! Good 460, 35x 12.5" or 14" wide tires on a stock 9". I can tell you from experience that if traction suddenly comes on when those tires are spinning stuff is gonna break.
Swamp

1 - 8 of 8 Posts