Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 93 Bronco XLT 5.8 e4od with 248,000 miles. All stock, all original. My rear main seal is leaking now. I cannot do it myself. The shop in town will charge $450 parts and labor. I know everybody says if it aint broke dont fix it. Runs pretty strong just has a high idle problem in park and neutral and oil leak. I am curious if I would be better off to just remove the motor and do a rebuild or fix the rear main seal and do a rebuild when it breaks. Either way it's not in my budget but I will make whatever sacrifice to make it happen. Thanks for any advice.

Ken

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,192 Posts
how much is it leaking? if it's not some ungodly amount, i'd just let it leak and add oil until you need a rebuild on the engine or trans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
about 1 quart approx. every 1000 miles. and it's not my daily driver. I was reading for a small leak that Lucas additive may stop it?

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
My Bronco has 200,000 miles on it, The previous owner {who is a friend of mine} Faithfully used 10/30 wt. oil and the rear main was leaking. For a shop to fix it was expensive so he sold the no rust/no dents Bronco to me for $500 bucks. i switched the oil to 15/50 weight Mobil 1 and now it doesn't leack much. For the rest of the leaking I just made a 6"X6" Engine diaper and strapped it up under the Torque converter drain plug hole. About once a year I replace the 6"square diaper thingie, done- If you dont want to bear the expense of synthetic oil you can use 20/50 Valvoline, Pennzoil or Chevron brand oil. and if you have that many miles on the transmission I suggest getting an axillary transmission cooler on there and new trans fluid. I am NOT a firm believer in "If it aint broke don't fix it". I say Fix it before you are totally screwed !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts