Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ring gear, here is the original quote.

"IF you have a leak at the rear of the motor, it can be a simple pan gasket leak or a more expensive rear main seal leak, If you remove the starter and there is oil on it or the ring gear, it's not a rear main seal leak."

This was taken off of this site, as always, i'm still loosing a good amount of oil from the rear of the engine, and in true Bronco style it drips onto the exhaust. According to this statement, the fact that there is oil dripping off my starter means that I do not have a rear main leak (at least not a huge one like I thought). It seems to dump the most oil when I shut the engine off, after driving and getting it warmed up.

I'm sick of posting about this, and I'm even more tired of scrubbing my driveway. I've already done the Pan gasket, that's fixed. Now I'm pulling the passenger valve cover and in the mean time checking my lower intake for leaks, I've degreased and pressure washed it, so tonight I'll be under it trying to see where it's coming from. I changed the pcv back to the Motorcraft as was suggested, now I'm just gonna start pulling it apart. Any tips or tricks for getting the plenum off as well as any other handy tricks you've used would be appreciated.

Sorry so long, Oil leaks piss me off.

Yeller:twotu:

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Oldyeller said:
What does this person mean by...... Ring gear, here is the original quote.
In this case it is the gear that is welded to the autside of the flexplate. The gears that the starter meshes with to turn the engine.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
sounds like your valve cover(s) is leaking. To remove the plenum, you need a torx bit to remove that centre bolt on the pas side and 1/4 inch drive extension

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
My old 302 use to have a horrible leak. The inside of the starter was always covered with oil. Leaked like crazy. Decided it was the pass side valve cover gasket.
Replaced it with cork, still leaked.
Replaced it with rubber, still leaked.

Replaced it with this.

No more leaky.
Clicky for Gaskets
Gasket Material: Rubber with steel core

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gacknar said:
In this case it is the gear that is welded to the autside of the flexplate. The gears that the starter meshes with to turn the engine.
That's what I thought, Never heard of it referred to as a ring gear before. So it's correct to assume that If i have oil on the starter my problem extends beyond the rear main?

Edit: rubber gaskets with steel inserts, just like the oil pan gasket i used, I'm sensing a pattern here

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OIC, the Valve cover gaskets are steel with a rubber ring, the Oil pan gasket was all steel covered with rubber and steel rings for all the oil pan bolts.

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about the lower Intake gack, you ever have any leaks through there?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Oldyeller said:
What about the lower Intake gack, you ever have any leaks through there?
Yup, the old cork inserts that we all use to use at the back and front. The back one would always slide inward in the middle on me. So I would endup with a leak there.

We dont use the Cork endpieces anymore :toothless

·
Registered
64 Posts
The rear main seal is the gasket that goes between the block and the rear main bearing cap. Hence it right smack in the middle of the flywheel, which the ring gear that mates up to the gear on the starter is attached to. I would say that oil inside of there is a pretty good sign that you have a leaking rear main seal. One way to find out is to remove the inspection plate that bolts to the front bottom of the transmisson, right below the bottom of the engine. With it removed look and see if the oil is dripping right down the back center of the block, if it is then you probably have a leaky main bearing seal. If not then it is probably coming from the top side and running down.

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for so many questions, but it sounds like it might be better to just pull the engine and work on it out of the bronco, you think that's necessary for an oil leak? engine is still running great, good oil pressure and no tranny problems, just the leak on the rear. Thanks for your help man, the bronco has to tow the jeep to Mexico at the end of February.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't think it is nessescary to pull the engine for this. But I would definetly recomend fixing the leak before going somewhere you are not familar with as far as parts availabilty, etc. It would suck to run out of oil in the middle of Mexico with no place close by to get more.

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
barbaric35 said:
I don't think it is nessescary to pull the engine for this. But I would definetly recomend fixing the leak before going somewhere you are not familar with as far as parts availabilty, etc. It would suck to run out of oil in the middle of Mexico with no place close by to get more.
Way off topic, but Mexico now has Circle K and Home depot, along with Burger king and a few other large companies, Its pretty surprising what you can find in the larger cities, and the smaller ones as well. We're going to be on the Route they run in the Baja 1000 and we're always able to find parts & such, I just don't want to smell oil dripping on my exhaust for 600 miles.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeller,
Get the valve cover gaskets gack recommends, and while you're at it remove your lower intake and replace those gaskets as well. But, like he also said, don't use the cork front and rear seals, use a 1/4" bead of RTV. The oil referred to in your first post would be on the starter gear inside the bellhousing of the trans, oil on the exterior of the starter is more indicative of a leak at the back of the intake or pass. side valve cover.

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone, soon as I get off work I'm gonna throw on some coveralls and get into it.

Yeller

1 - 15 of 15 Posts