Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be dropping the truck off at a shop sometime in the next few days to have the rear main seal and oil pan gasket replaced.

I'm living in CA but in WA for army crap for a month and labor is about 50% cheaper here in WA, so I'm having the work done. Pulling the engine isn't something I want to deal with on my own with my DD right now.

Question is, while they have the engine out (I'm assuming they'll pull it to do both of those) what else should I have done?

I've been eyeing upgrading the intake (its a 5.8) but I also plan on swapping a different motor in someday when this one dies (it's got 20k on it, so probably a long time left).

I know I'd need an upper and lower to make a difference.

Also, just as a side, it got a full inspection just recently and the rear main and oilpan are the last two things to be addressed, I did all the rest myself, so after those are done the engine will be in the best shape possible. Just wondering if I should have the shop do anything else since they will have the motor out (more then one bird with one stone).

Thanks folks.

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I just got about 6 grand in backpay from the Army, which is why I am asking this. If there are no under the hood upgrades you guys think I should do, I will get started on the cosmetic and drivetrain crap. Lift/tires, gears, bumpers are planned so far.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Check main bearings for wear, could be root cause of rear seal leak. Also replace oil pump and pickup tube as a precaution.

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do. Shop quoted me 700ish.

I'm thinking of doing upper/lower intake while their in there.

·
Registered
731 Posts
How about a better torque converter while you're right there at it?

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about a better torque converter while you're right there at it?
Well,

I don't know crap about TC o.0

Something like this?
http://www.monstertransmission.com/E4OD-4R100-Torque-Converter-Heavy-Duty-50-54-58L-Gas--4-Lug--Stock-Stall_p_4912.html#.VXjBO_lVhBc

I'm all about preventative maintenance. PMCS the crap out of the truck, but I don't know.

I know the E4OD sucks and breaks, but I don't hear much about the TC breaking. Any reasons for upgrading it? If its not going to show any benefit I'd rather not upgrade something just because the OEM one may break at some point, I'd run out of money too fast doing that lol.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Well to increase the stall for one. Converters can break and stop working, initially they will make the transmission seem to stutter when going out. Is an upgrade necessary? Probably not.. But how often is the engine or trans. out where you're right at it? A valve body can be done also, and it's easy to get to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts