Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin just bought a 89 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer with the 5.0. But we got to looking and my engines slightly different. First of his is an all original 1 owner BKO so its should be all original, whereas mine has passed thru many hands making its way up from FL to TN in the last year.

On his the top of the engine says Ford in the oval in cursive than says fuel injected to the right of the ford oval logo.

Mine says just Ford 5.0 EFI all in big block lettering with no cursive.

I asked here on the forums about a loose O2 sensor on my passenger side exhaust manifold when I bought a year ago. People told my my year should not have an O2 on the exhaust manifold that only the newer years did.

Mine also has an unused mount near the driver side manifold.

I am beggining to think someone has swapped in an engine on mine, prolly a newer one from what I can tell. Could it be from a mustang, or an F150?

If not how come my cousins all original 1 owner has a different looking engine. They are both 89's and I have seen the original title to his when it was bought in 89 with only 306 miles on it.

I am just wondering what I really have, I dont see why ford would change the badging on the engine during the same year.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
My 86's had the cusive on the original upper intake.

It also had the o2 senser in the pass side manifold.

Mogley said:
I am beggining to think someone has swapped in an engine on mine, prolly a newer one from what I can tell. Could it be from a mustang, or an F150?
Truck/Bronco had identical engines for a given year.
As far as the intake goes it definotly is not off a Mustang. A mustangs upper is a whole diferant ball game with only 1 TB.

·
Call Me Ace
1,953 Posts
my intake has the block letters.
and do you mean an engine mount? or does it look like an arm with an eye hook at the top? cus that an engine pull arm- i took mine off.
my 89' 302 has an o2 sensor on the pass.side- i think it has a couple actually.
ace

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
WheelinElvis said:
my 89' 302 has an o2 sensor on the pass.side-
But is it in the exhaust manifold or in the pipe?

WheelinElvis said:
I think it has a couple actually.
ace
Nope, just one in 89 unleas you made som modifications.

·
Call Me Ace
1,953 Posts
ive got them in the pipe. i couldve sworn ive got one after the mani. and then one down by the cats... i could be wrong...
ace

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what years have the o2 in the manifold?

How come his 89 has the cursive writing and mine and wheelinelvis. Are there any numbers on the block that will ID it?

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,972 Posts
My 88 302 has the ford oval and electronic fuel injection. The 92 has the 5.0 EFI.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And gacknar I thought the 86's were carbed?

·
Call Me Ace
1,953 Posts
its not really a big deal in my opinion. if you want the oval- go to a junkyard and get one... its preference. you still have a 302 5.0l regardless...
ace

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont really care about the badges, I just need to know what I have in it. It could matter with some replacement parts and some slight differences between the different years.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Mogley said:
And gacknar I thought the 86's were carbed?
Some late 85 and all 86 5.0s came with EFI.

Mine was manufactured in 10 of 85, making it an early 86.

Mogley said:
It could matter with some replacement parts and some slight differences between the different years.
It shouldn't matter in any way whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In that case, it could help to know if the engine mileage matches the odometer to determin engine wear and age of the engine. I'm thinking it must be newer because of the engine badging put together with the unconnected o2 sensor in the manifold. This question should help me out.

What years began putting o2 in the manifold?

Edit: And are there any engine block codes i could look up?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Mogley said:
This question should help me out.

What years began putting o2 in the manifold??
86-87, some 88's
After that it was in the "y" pipe.

Same thing with the cursive on the intake 86 to somewhere in 88/89
Whenever that particular plant ran out of the older ones

Mogley said:
Edit: And are there any engine block codes i could look up?
Yes, it will tell you what the block is, but IIRC not what it's out of. I think it may tell you the year but I'm not sure.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
-That is only a difference in upper manifolds, the engine could be original
-there is the valve cover sticker, but that could change with a valve cover swap
-there is the Casting # on the block, the only way you would know something was fishy is if your casting # was newer then your truck. The casting # is only the last time the casting changed, so you could have an E7 or E8 number but if you have an F0 it couldnt have come on your truck originally.

Most of the things on my truck have E0T #s on it, including both of my driveshafts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts