Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to lifting my bronco and adding mods and what not on it i just put a 6 inch lift on my truck and i noticed looking at the forums that a lot of people have a dana rear or fornt im not dumb just wanted to know some info behind that

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Dana is the company that makes the whole rear diff. Think of it like a brand of tire.

The higher the number the stronger the diff.

Dana 30/35 - 1/4 ton trucks (Jeep/Rangers)
Dana 44 - 1/2 tons (bronco's)
Dana 50 - 3/4 ton trucks (f250)
Dana 60 - 1 ton trucks (f350)

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
bronco's never had a dana rear axle.

and a dana 60 rear is pretty worthless in a fsb.

·
Registered
‘90 EB Full Custom build -Mega Truck Bogger
537 Posts
Dana is the company that makes the whole rear diff. Think of it like a brand of tire.

yep ..pretty much what he said..its a namebrand..Spicer makes most Dana axles...Borg Warner make alot of different trannys and transfer cases....firestone makes tires....Dana is just a popular brand/manufacturer of axle

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts

oh and what about all the other dana axles?

20, 28, 61, 70, 80, s135, and others that have had or have?

·
Registered
537 Posts

Oh Idunno about that my d60's are holding up pretty well:toothless

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh alright so dana 44 is what i would want to put on my FSB? are dana meant for offroading ? or just to replace the rear end and diff? and be heavy duty?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Oh Idunno about that my d60's are holding up pretty well:toothless
if your running a D60 rear with that bronco in your bronco information I am calling BS, or you drive like a fawkin old lady.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay i know about my truck and stuff but im new to this rear and front stuff so front i sdana 44 already and the back is?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
... and for the record if you swap any diff's in your truck other than what you have you will need a new lift kit as your lift is for a very specific type of diff. Your spring rates will be wrong, new steering linkage, new shocks, etc.

Just by the sounds of your mechanical knowledge, stay with what you got man!

Your rear is an 8.8

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha thanks man im just trying to make my bronco last im bout to graduate high school and want my truck to last me a good long while and just taking steps into keeping a libe you know what i mean? so whats the real reason people replace the rear and front?

·
Registered
537 Posts
oh alright so dana 44 is what i would want to put on my FSB? are dana meant for offroading ? or just to replace the rear end and diff? and be heavy duty?
you got the internet..shop around and see what you like..the axle size governs its strength...I consider a dana 44 weak..thats the axles I have under my Nissan Titan and they have been know too break with large tires in heavy offroading...dana 44 would be ok for tires under 35/36Inchesanything bigger and you better stay at the mall:toothless

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
There are, generally speaking, 2 types of drive axles. One is referred to as a "Spicer" type. The Dana axles fall into this category. The internals are assembled and disassembled inside the axle housing. The other type of axle is called a "3rd member" axle. In this style, the center section of the axle housing is removed, with the ring and pinion gears attached.

If your Bronco has the 9" Ford axle, it is the 3rd member type. Your front axle is a Dana, unless someone has swapped in a different one.

·
Registered
537 Posts
if your running a D60 rear with that bronco in your bronco information I am calling BS, or you drive like a fawkin old lady.
call it like you want and I'll tell it like it is....they are D60's front and rear..the pics are on here enough times to show you that...do you need to see 'em again?:smilie_slap....They arent big enough for me tho...they are getting swapped with 2.5 tons next spring

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you got the internet..shop around and see what you like..the axle size governs its strength...I consider a dana 44 weak..thats the axles I have under my Nissan Titan and they have been know too break with large tires in heavy offroading...dana 44 would be ok for tires under 35/36Inchesanything bigger and you better stay at the mall:toothless
haha working on my truck is where ill stay at so getting a new rear and front end i would have to get a whole new entire lift kit thus costing more and more but if i have a dana 44 in the front already and i want to do offroading then its limited since you say they are weak and break?

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts

what's wrong with a dana 60??

oh and what about all the other dana axles?

20, 28, 61, 70, 80, s135, and others that have had or have?
don't forget the dana 53

okay i know about my truck and stuff but im new to this rear and front stuff so front i sdana 44 already and the back is?
you're rear axle is a ford axle. either a 9" or 8.8 depending on the year. both are comparable in strength to a dana44 (although the 9" is a little better than a 44, or an 8.8)

you're front axle is a very unique dana 44, which is split and pivots from the frame in two places, it's only used in ford trucks and is called TTB or twin traction beam. unless you are going extreme lift and looking for a lot of articulation (one wheel up the other down) there is no benefit to a "solid" or traditional dana 44.

the front/back axle thing is like this... in a 2 wheel drive truck there is only a rear axle. the axle is that part between the tires (differential, axle shafts, housing, etc)

in a 4 wheel drive truck, there hasto an axle in the front as well to drive the front end, so it has two axles.. one in the rear and one in the front.. they don't have to be the same. in fact, most of the time they aren't. in the case of broncos, they uses a ford axle in the rear, and the dana 44 TTB in the front.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Wheel it. If you break it fix it, parts are stupid cheap.

If you keep blowing up your front diff, move to something bigger.

Just lighten up on the skinny pedal.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts