Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking of power gains and have a few questions.

I talked to some Mustang freaks and they mentioned bringing Exploder(Explorer) heads to their Mustangs to get a HP boost. Is this true? If it is, will it fit to my Bronco's 302? (Easily)

I talked to some mechanics and they advised me to NOT get a Bassani Y-Pipe and buy some Shorties Headers instead. Opinions on this?

What bolt-on parts are available for large increases of power to the engine?

I did do some searching and have bookmarked multiple helpful links but would really like some straight forward answers here. Thanks!:thumbup

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Yes Explore Heads will fit your 302. However make sure you get the reg explore GT40 Heads and Not the GT40P heads. If you get the P heads you will have to go Looking for some new headers that will fit the P heads. The P heads have the spark plugs angled in a different irection and will interfer with your current headers. Also If you are gonna do a head swap get your self a cam and intake as well. The explore upper and lower intakes are versions of the GT40/cobra intakes as well.
The Pics below are for a GT40P head, the Reg GT40 would Only have GT stamped in the same location.

Also on the side of the heads you will see 4 markings indicationg they are GT40P heads, while the GT's wil have 3 I believe.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Explore Heads will fit your 302. However make sure you get the reg explore GT40 Heads and Not the GT40P heads. If you get the P heads you will have to go Looking for some new headers that will fit the P heads. The P heads have the spark plugs angled in a different irection and will interfer with your current headers. Also If you are gonna do a head swap get your self a cam and intake as well. The explore upper and lower intakes are versions of the GT40/cobra intakes as well.
The Pics below are for a GT40P head, the Reg GT40 would Only have GT stamped in the same location.

Also on the side of the heads you will see 4 markings indicationg they are GT40P heads, while the GT's wil have 3 I believe.
Thanks! :thumbup

That is awesome help!

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and if I get Ford Explorer intake, will it bolt on without the need of conversion pieces? I just searched on Explorer Intakes, one of the articles I found said they had to get a 60dollar elbow adapter to fit on their SN95 Stang. Would I need similar?

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
With the explore intake you would have to do a few modificatons to a few things. Dont think you would need that $60 elbow. I have seen a few do the modification on this site to use that intake, dont remember who thought. coil would have to be relocated and I think there is something with the fuel rail also, but not possitive on that.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
with having a 91 bronco with speed density you have to do your research on what will and will not work. cam changes are about the last thing you want to do.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The explorer gt40 heads are the same as cobra heads also and cobra intakes are nice too.

There are tons of bolt on for 302's, I suggest going to a forum like Mustang corral and search their site for good info.

lol. I have got tons of bolt ons. My Rods bolt to my crankshaft that bolt to my block that bolts to my transmission that bolts to my....

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
gt40p heads work with bbk shorties and taylor 90* wires.. I have them on my 351.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts