Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched this and read alot of information on this subject, but now i am looking for people opinions.
I have a 93 BKO with the 351/e40d and 6 inch lift with 35" bfg mt's. I am going to change from the stock 3.55 gears to either 4.56 or 4.88 and was wondering if anyone with a simalir setup had any thoughts on this. I still drive the vehicle on the road once in a while. The only legal offroad park is 70 miles one way from me all interstate and i will have to drive it to and from. Thanks for your responses Tom..

·
OUCH!!
1,044 Posts
go with the 4.56's:thumbup that is what I will be running when I am done with all my damn body work

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
The numbers create the real world experience.

I take that data very serious since i am the one who wrote it.

So ok, I will be a nice guy and help you.

I would go 4.88. Chances are you will never go with a smaller tire.
In the future you may get a body lift, or cut your fenders and get 37's, 38.5's or whatever.

Also since you have Over drive you wont lose as much top end as others.

The data is crystal.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You dont have to be a nice guy, you can still be a dick i wont take it personal. Thanks for your opinion, btw what are you running? Numbers dont always tell the whole story imo.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well in my opinion I belive that with the 351 and 4.56 gears you will be happy. I run 4.56 gears with my 33" and I like it but I put 4.56 gears in so I could go to 35" tires and just beef up the engine when the time comes and if I ever decide to go larger I will just increase the output power of the motor.new cam. bigger throttle body there is lots of other items that can take care of that little bit of lossed power. If you are going to be towing alot I would go with a lower gear but thats just me.

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Even if you engine spits out 4000 HP, your tranni and torque convertor will suffer if you dont properly accomidate gears with your tire size increase.

If you think about the whole picture, higher gears will have higher rpms, less throttle will move those tires over rocks and logs. The more you throttle the higher the rpm's, the more chances you have at breaking shit.

I would rather drive my junk in "D" and go over obstacles just fine or as compared to many people who use "2" or "1".
Then for those harry times or if i am driving down a long decline i can put it in "2" or "1" and it will accomidate my needs more sufficiently.

IMHO gears is the most over looked part when someone puts serious money into a lift.
Most people concentrate on getting big meats on, rather than the whole picture.
You 80" lifted truck with 52" muds doesnt look cool if it is sitting in a garage needing a new tranni.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I believe the more horsepower and torque ones engine produces the less rpms one will need in order get up and over those rocks or logs. Also lets just say lower gears would definetly help, but lower transfer case ratios also take a huge role in this equations as well and only get activated when in 4 wheel drive so no harm when driving on the road if not locked in that is. I guess the real questions here is just how big you ever plan on going? Then go from there as I said I planned for 35s nothing larger for me. Thats my .2c

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanls for your responses guys. Beer i agree with you just wanted to hear from people who had already installed gears. Gearhead let me know how it works out. I will probably end up with the 4.88's i believe 37's are in my future...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts