Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
....ehhh
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting my list ready for my dive train,

I have 37" SSR's and was trying to decide what gear ratio to go with.

I want 4.88's but 4.56 may be enough
Durring my half ton stuff 4.56 with 35's was really low
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I have even thought about a transfer case doubler, but my drive line is already getting pretty short

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
Do you drive the truck on the highway at all? Being an 84, you dont have an OD trans do you? How do the 4.10's feel? I have 4.56's and a C6 in my truck on 35's and I hate it. It screams on the highway. I think 4.56's and 37's, and no OD would be nice.

·
Registered
506 Posts
plug ugly said:
without OD I would stay at 4.56 or even 4.10 and do a doubler. with the c6 I would think you could squezze one in, just try and move the sterling back if that is what you are going with.
:stupid
my 4.10s and 35s are barely tolerable with a C6. If you got the BW case I understand that a 205/203 doubler is only an inch or so longer than it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Only regurgitating what I read. I do know that the BW is a huge bitch.

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
for highway use, without overdrive 4.10 or maybe 4.56 or something like that, then i would also go with the doubler. i wouldnt think you would have driveshaft issues, and if you do, then contact high angle driveline and see what they can do for you. the doubler in my mind is the best thing for the sport since boggers came out. just my .02 cents

wes

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
WES said:
the doubler in my mind is the best thing for the sport since boggers came out. just my .02 cents
wes
That says a lot about you wes. those have got to be the worst tires out there unless you run strictly mud IMO :goodfinge

bb88, the bw is a wide mo fo, but it really isnt that much longer. i was comparing a complete doubler and bw on a bench the other day, and the bw is roughly 16.5 and IIRC the doubler was like 23 with the ORD adapter. You can get a slimmer version, but say that would save an inch to two TOPS. be careful on regurgitating info, I like to flame people that do that usually, and I know some others do to.

What is your rear driveline length wih the c6 and 8.8? Plan on taking about 2" off with a sterling in the stock location

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
plug ugly said:
That says a lot about you wes. those have got to be the worst tires out there unless you run strictly mud IMO :goodfinge

bb88, the bw is a wide mo fo, but it really isnt that much longer. i was comparing a complete doubler and bw on a bench the other day, and the bw is roughly 16.5 and IIRC the doubler was like 23 with the ORD adapter. You can get a slimmer version, but say that would save an inch to two TOPS. be careful on regurgitating info, I like to flame people that do that usually, and I know some others do to.

What is your rear driveline length wih the c6 and 8.8? Plan on taking about 2" off with a sterling in the stock location
haha, well, before mt/rs came out people were runnin tsl's in front and bogger's in back on the rocks, and that was about it. and dogunmut seems to have good luck with them in the rocks too, they just suck on the street, so now that i have made my point, im done here, i dont know enough about the doubler to provide any info

wes

·
....ehhh
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the story is

I had the 84 with the HO option, wich also gave me a 9" in the back

and I axed the c6 for my np435.
Currently i have an np208 x-fer. in the truck.

I do drive my truck on the highway, Thats how we get to some of our wheeling spots.

the 4.10s run ok with my 37's but i don't feel I would have the bite to get the wheels spinning.

My 4.56 were awsome with 35's until i had to try and drive faster than 45mph

A doubler would be awsome, but I don't know if I can give up 6 more inches in the back.

·
Well Done Man!
1,620 Posts
plug ugly said:
, I like to flame people that do that usually, and I know some others do to.
:D

WES said:
haha, well, before mt/rs came out people were runnin tsl's in front and bogger's in back on the rocks, and that was about it. and dogunmut seems to have good luck with them in the rocks too, they just suck on the street, so now that i have made my point, im done here, i dont know enough about the doubler to provide any info

wes
People put TSL and Boggers in the back for Mud not rocks,(that way the front doe not dig down) the only odd thing people did for boggers it turned them backwards on the rocks, and that one is still out for if it was better or not

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
.../owned...

If i remember right, There was a pretty indepth thread on the doubler concept a few months back. I believe the NP435 is shorter then a C6...But, I could be wrong..

·
Registered
506 Posts
ok plug. Ord has conflicting info on their site. one place it says that a gen2 doubler adds 6 inches to a 205. my 205 is 12.5 or so. 12.5 + 6 = 18.5 18.5-16.5(your number)= 2 inches. Somewhere else it also says a complete doubler is 21.5 od. Possibly this is a difference between the two models. When I posted about the length, I was simply using ORD's own numbers from their site that I had researched several months back. I figure that their info is probably pretty accurate since they make the part and I felt comfortable relaying that. It's not like I just pulled the number outta my a$$. Did the one you looked at have a steel adapter or an aluminum one? It also says the new version is 3 inches shorter than the old one. 21.5 - 3 = 18.5 Coincidence, Maybe, maybe not.

From ORD's Site:
For those of you familiar with our previous versions of the Doubler™, the difference between the Gen1(old ones) and the Gen2 (new kits) is that the Gen2 eliminates the factory adapter housing. This makes the overall length 3 inches shorter than the shortest Gen1, and also makes the unit much stronger since there is only one adapter housing between the 203 and 205. The Doubler™ is only available in 31 or 32 spline which also eliminates any weak link in the transfer case system. We also have the option of doing custom rotations of the 205 and 203, and can mix and match Ford or GM 203's with Ford or GM 205's. More on this later under "Custom Rotations and Hybrid applications".

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
badblack88 said:
ok plug. Ord has conflicting info on their site. one place it says that a gen2 doubler adds 6 inches to a 205. my 205 is 12.5 or so. 12.5 + 6 = 18.5 18.5-16.5(your number)= 2 inches. Somewhere else it also says a complete doubler is 21.5 od. Possibly this is a difference between the two models. When I posted about the length, I was simply using ORD's own numbers from their site that I had researched several months back. I figure that their info is probably pretty accurate since they make the part and I felt comfortable relaying that. It's not like I just pulled the number outta my a$$. Did the one you looked at have a steel adapter or an aluminum one? It also says the new version is 3 inches shorter than the old one. 21.5 - 3 = 18.5 Coincidence, Maybe, maybe not.

From ORD's Site:

You know, the one that i saw was an ORD unit, but i dont recall which adapter it had. Very possibly it was a gen 1. there is a guy (stazworks) on pirates who sells the slimest design adapter I know of, but i still think you would be really hard pressed to get a doubler that small.
the 203 range box i have siting in my gargae alone is almost 7" from input shaft to mouting surface. then you need the adapter (however long the shortest one you can find is) and then your 12.5 for the 205. So, lets call it 6.5 and 12.5 for just the cases without the adapter, and we are at 19. I would LOVE to be proved wrong here, cause i really want one too. I will know more in the future as I gather the parts for it. But I dont think it is only going to be 18 inches, sorry

1 - 20 of 21 Posts