Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious - what or who is the hosting service for FSB? It seems that this site moves along very nicely, with hardly ever any hiccups or down time when I compare it to quite a few other forums I belong to over the years.

If I have an existing website secured via register.com, how can I move it to another site (and which site is recommended) that offers lower rates? is it easy enough to do without any issues? I was thinking of moving it before it has to renew.

How easy is it to install vbb (or is the other called pbb) for getting a forum section started? How much space do I really need or would be required?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I don't know what FSB uses but personally I use dreamhost. They are dirt cheap and have some really cool features if you just want to dink around. They actually have a "one-click-install" for pbb (also for a bunch of other stuff like blogs, photo galleries, etc). They also provide a ridiculous amount of space and bandwidth both of which grow every month. Just somebody you might want to check out. If you decide to go with them let me know and I'll make you a coupon code to get $95 off or whatever it is I can... They have a referral service where I can make a code to split some amount of money with you (you get it as a coupon, I get it as a credit to my bill). When I signed up I paid like $15 for my entire first year of service including my domain. I'll give you a code that gives you the full amount by the way. I really don't care about making money off it.

·
Original FSB.COM Owner
9,563 Posts
what or who is the hosting service for FSB?
FSB runs on an AMD powered dedicated server through ServerPoint.com in LasVegas, NV at a cost of around 300.00 per month

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the moment, I can't do $300 a month, especially for a site that I would just be starting up. I'm assuming that at that cost, there are a ton of features included? Also, do most website owners offset some of the monthly cost (overhead) by advertisers & Member dues?

·
Zombie Hunter
13,684 Posts
At the moment, I can't do $300 a month, especially for a site that I would just be starting up. I'm assuming that at that cost, there are a ton of features included? Also, do most website owners offset some of the monthly cost (overhead) by advertisers & Member dues?
all those advertisers at the top, the clickable links? They pay to be there. along with the "ads by google" tool bar, and all the ads you don't see since you're a registered member that appear in threads.

The forums add a whole bunch of bandwith to the site, we pay for bandwith more than anything else.

Starting a website to sell stuff? Probably not going to be as expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts