Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is kind of in reply to a post in another thread and once I started writing it just kept getting longer and longer and I decided it was then way off topic so I decided to just start a new thread. :toothless

so, off topic question. Are these old volvo's easy to mod and get parts for?
Yes and no. They are cheap and easy up to a point, then they get hard and expensive. So you can mod them with basic stuff and a lot of junkyard/backyard mechanic type stuff works really well up to around 250hp/250tq. After that you have to be very knowledgeable, have REALLY good resources or have money to blow.

There are less than a handful of places that specialize in Volvos and make parts for them. The place where I work is largest hardcore Volvo performance shop in the USA, R-Sport International.

We do a lot of performance motor stuff and sell our own forged cranks, forged rods and forged pistons, cams and some valve train components. We also have a flow bench and do a lot of custom headwork. We build 1-2 motors a month and they are usually in the 400-600hp range. They range from $3k for a "built" bottom end up to $10k ish for a very serious long block. The highest hp we know of with our internals in 1152rwhp out of a drag Volvo in Sweden.

We have 2 cars right now that are in the $15-20k estimate range for work being done. Both will be in the 500hp range with a grocery list of stuff being done to them.

So we do everything... sell parts, fab custom parts, design parts, basic maintenence and repairs on cars, modifications on cars, restorations and just about anything you can dream up for us to do for $60 an hour. ;)

I guess it's easier to show you and everyone likes pictures...

This car came to us already painted outside with a stock 100hp ish non-turbo motor. We have stitch welded the engine compartment, modified the inner hood, installed an intercooler in the core support, matched the exteriors 3 stage pearl paint job, built a 2.3L motor with forged rods and pistons, Stage II head rebuild and porting, used the owners contrast color (Saffron, a rare volvo color) and detailed the engine compartment, built a header, built intercooler piping and plumbing, building the down pipe including tieing in the wastegates' outlets, the complete exhaust sytem, installed our coil-overs and fully detailed the front suspension.

About 60% done:

About 80% done (and still working on it):

This car is getting a used late model Volvo FWD 5cyl turbo motor swapped into it to replace the 4cyl turbo during stage 1 of the build. After it's running and driving and has all the bugs worked out, it will get a custom rebuilt motor with our forged rods, pistons, a fully ported head and custom cams. The transmission was imported from Europe as that's the only place that sold manual transmissions that will bolt up to this block. We modified countless items on this motor to make it all work properly. We also built custom motor mount brackets that use our Poly motor mounts, a custom header with external wastegate, gt30 turbo with Tial SS exhaust housing, plumbed turbo with hard lines, new downpipe to mate to current 3" exhaust, mounted the aftermarket intercooler, made all the intake plumbing, built a cold air box and installing a Wolf fully programmable EMS.

The car:

Original motor:

Test fitting header and engine:

Pics are mid EMS install:

This car was your basic mostly stock good used car we bought off of craigslist for our customer. We did a "Rest of World" front end swap (fenders, core support, hood, grill, headlights and blinkers all get sourced from various US years), full stage 0 mechanicals, installed a K cam, upgraded fuel pump, NPR intercooler, late model intake manifold swap, tuned ignition and fuel injection to be able to run 22psi (210rwhp/257rwftlbstq), welded diff, new shocks/struts, full paint including jambs (subbed out to paint shop), mild interior restoration, our 18" wheels we are trying to get made and some dress up goodies under the hood.

Engine compartment paint I did for my best friend's race car a couple weekends ago...

Before:

Sanded:

Primered and sanded again:

Painted:

After:

Also everyone at the place I work has race cars except the main fab guy who is still relatively new:

Owner #1's car:

Owner #2's car:

And to finish this super long post off, my race car:
Almost done:

My first novice race:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
this thread had IPD written all over it, and then I scrolled back up, and shonuff, Portland...

Went to the IPD swap and shine or whartever its called once, we too the nissan as the 240 needed a turbop pretty bad.. I got paid to fumigate for skeeters by the sity...

Swapped out the motor for an intercooled version with less miles, have had 140's (honeymooned in a '69 145 with 240 Turb wheels...) 160's, and 240's.. Never got into the 700's, and would die for a newer wagon.

For a while my world bled swedish blue/yellow.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Call IPD and tell them you want a 500hp motor, they'll send you to us. :haha

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
No shit? right on.. the first pic, and then some of the subsequent ones made me think that... my bad.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
I would so love to have one of those station wagon lookin ones all souped up to go to the grocery store in. All sleeper like. Just like that red one. Badass.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
oh why hello there........... lol The davis meet was fun... The RSI 850 only beat me by less than 1 second in the autox lol. My car pic

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,518 Posts
Are y'all issued Birkenstocks for working there?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh why hello there........... lol The davis meet was fun... The RSI 850 only beat me by less than 1 second in the autox lol.
What are you doing over here?
I missed the Davis show this year. Always regret it after the pics get posted. :cry

Are y'all issued Birkenstocks for working there?
and tie-died t-shirts ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
My head has exploded, I didn't know that stuff was done to this extent to Volvos. Pretty sweet.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,518 Posts
and tie-died t-shirts ;)
My shop has a customer, with a turbo 240 wagon, who's an aging hippie pothead...really nice, laid back kind of guy, with dreads.:histerica:haha

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
What are you doing over here?
I missed the Davis show this year. Always regret it after the pics get posted. :cry
i have 2 broncos right now.... Check out the diesel build its coming along nicely

·
A beer and a gun
2,073 Posts
I've always wanted a '75-79 245 for a 302 swap. It's cool to say you've got a 500 HP Volvo motor, but it's cheaper to say you've got a 500 HP 302. That's what I set out to get when I got the V70, but it would have been one more endless project when I needed a daily driver. One of these days...

·
the Broheim
3,994 Posts
You guys responsible for this?

As cool as some of the cars you posted are, I personally will never own a volvo. They say they are the safest cars in the world, but I know better :banghead

1 - 20 of 21 Posts