Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to put a new exhaust on my 460 because one of my manifolds is leaking and my mufflers are blown out so baddly they hardly work. Im looking for some opinions on what sounds and performs the best. my plan is to go with 3'' exhaust with thrust turbo mufflers and my already purchased Hooker Headers.

i want a more raspy sound, one that makes you wanna turn around and see what just drove by. it needs to be loud, almost an annoying loud but not so terrible i cant hear anything inside the truck. im just looking for something that will make it stand out from other trucks that have the deep dull flowmaster sound. i want a sharper sound. will i get that from the turbos? or would i want glasspacks??

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Adams78Bronco said:
i need to put a new exhaust on my 460 because one of my manifolds is leaking and my mufflers are blown out so baddly they hardly work. Im looking for some opinions on what sounds and performs the best. my plan is to go with 3'' exhaust with thrust turbo mufflers and my already purchased Hooker Headers.

i want a more raspy sound, one that makes you wanna turn around and see what just drove by. it needs to be loud, almost an annoying loud but not so terrible i cant hear anything inside the truck. im just looking for something that will make it stand out from other trucks that have the deep dull flowmaster sound. i want a sharper sound. will i get that from the turbos? or would i want glasspacks??
annoyingly loud but not so loud you can't hear any thing in the truck...... good luck....

but... i have 40 series flows with manifolds and its deep and not too loud.... i LOVE it.. considering not getting the headers i want just bc i love the sound now.....

BUT my buddy has a 429 with manifolds and glasspacks..... holy shit... thats what ur looking for....

·
Registered
22 Posts
loud pipes

i agree, glasspacks are the way to go if you want the raspy sound. i just ditched my dynomax mufflers for a set of glass packs to give it a more raspy sound. the mufflers smooth it out too much, i couldn't even hear my exhaust over my tires. My bronco is now running a rebuilt 400 with cheapo summit headers and 2 1/4 pipe with glasspacks. it is definitely raspy!:rockon

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
FordTruckMan said:
annoyingly loud but not so loud you can't hear any thing in the truck...... good luck....
Yeah, good luck...you either get one or the other, you can't have both.

I've got true duals with the Delta Flow 40 series Flowmasters with stock manifolds and I like it. It's loud enough when I romp on it, you know I'm coming down the road...but also you don't have conversations in the truck. I drove it all the way to Knoxville with my brother-in-law, we had the windows down and didn't talk the whole way.

Also the Delta Flows have a different sound than the regular 40 series. I've got a single 40 on the 351 in Mad Bronco and it's definitely more mellow than the dual Deltas.

Here's a sound clip of mine - Rumbly 429 [Your sound will vary, I've got a lopey ass cam in mine.]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i will probobly go with the 3'' exhaust with my headers and glasspacks then.

does anyone know the best sounding brand? or is there a difference?

is anyone running the 3'' exhaust? how does that work for you..?

·
Registered
689 Posts
i just put 3'' duel super 40 flowmasters on my 79 460 with L&L headers.....its louder and deeper then normal 40 seires and it is raspy at certian rpms. people are looking for me before i get to them....hahaha

·
Registered
401 Posts
Mount a snail shaped exhaust manifold estension on there and anytime people will hear that 335 spooling it up they will dive to get out of the way.

I really want to do a huge V8 turbo.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
302 - 2.25" Duals 3" Single
351W - 2.5" Duals 3.5" Single
460 - 3" Duals 4" Single

That's what I have in my head for "optimal" exhaust sizes for the main 3 engines.

I'd probably go 4" single with a 5" tip. Put a Magnaflow or Dynomax muffler on there (not a crappy turbo or glasspack) and it wouldn't be too loud but sound good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts