Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the tranny shop and Jeff (the tranny guy) told me what that ring was but I forgot for the moment. Regaurdless it means Im looking at a rebuild and he'll get and install the upgraded rebuild kit for 450 if I take it to him. 650-700 if he's gotta pull it. So how hard is it to drop the tranny and is it worth 200-250 to have it done for me. by the way its a C6
and thanks in advance for the help

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Not too bad as long as you have a means of suporting it and other things. Really it's just unbolting it from the engine and t-case and removing lines and linkegas. Now I don't know about crossmember and mounts but all in all it's not too technical.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the guys at the tranny shop said that its a serious bitch getting around the x member or something. Jeff said he'd let me borrow his lift

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sounds pretty good. I had my c6 rebuilt 6 months ago in my 78 and it cost 850 for the guy to pull/rebuild/reinstall. I'd say if you can borrow the lift, pull it yourself and save the $$$ for something else.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
when the seal between my Tcase & tranny was leaking after the idiot i paid to swap my motor i took it to a tranny shop and they charged me $200 and they put in a tranny filter and gasket as well as the seal in between the C6/205. they did have to cut my exhaust, but i dont know what all they dropped or had to pull. but try to touch the last three bolts in the tranny pan. then imagine trying to get a wrench on them. i pulled a C6 & it was easy. it came out right after the 351W did. im leaning towards paying.

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
I also swapped out the NP435 trans in my 79 for the C6 I had. It's work but not all that bad. BUT!!!! Make sure you either have a trans jack or 1 or 2 more people to help you if you do it yourself. That sucker is freak'n heavy!!!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It's not terrible, but it is a lot of work. I'd guess maybe 4hrs with hand tools to drop the trans, another 4 to put it back in. That's working by yourself. Add a knowledgeable helper and some air tools and it goes a lot quicker. Same thing if you have done it before.

I think I can pull the transmission crossmember, driveshafts, starter, and t-case in an hour and a half. Another six bolts and a bunch of wiggling around, and the transmission drops out.

But $250-300 is about right to R&R the transmission... figure that's 5hrs of shop time, easy.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think Im gonna give it a shot, it sounds pretty straight forward. plus jeff is letting me use his hoist.
any words of advice before I get started or things I should do while its out?

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
It's a bitch to do but it's not hard at all. I've done mine twice now, I also pulled a E40d While I was in Minn... Visiting Dustin, and those guys... Hell WE did it with a floor jack a half complete set of sockets and some extentions..

Just go rent a tranny jack, pull all the bolts and bring down the tranny and Tcase together. You'll have to put them back in seperate though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had to cut my exhaust to get my x-member out. Very time consuming job but not that hard if you've got a good t-mission jack and some help. As far as going back in I did not have to put them in seperate, But I was using a jack for 18 wheeler transmissions though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts