Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Ford Bronco
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title states. I'm upgrading to electric fans on my 95 bronco with a 5.8. The engine is stock for now and the radiator is leaking. I bought a new HD radiator from napa and I want to add electric fans to the bronco. I built an aluminum shroud for it but before I cut the holes for the fans I was wondering what people have used that works well. There is about 1000 different types of electric fans out there and I really don't have the time or energy to go searching through a junk yard so I'm looking for something I can get online. Also I live in phoenix where its miserably hot most of the year it seems. Thanks in advance.

·
Man of endless projects
9,286 Posts
i was looking into this aswell for my trucks. i think i narrowed down my choices to 2 setups depending if i want dual fans or a single dual speed fan. both having pros and cons for my useage. both can be had on Rockauto for a decent price and SHOULD offer good coverage on the radiator with relatively easy to modify for mounting. granted i have not actually trtied these but they are the 2 im looking to trying

the 98-02 Crown Vic apparently has same size radiator core as the broncos so it should cover the finned area perfectly. its a single dual speed motor. its pretty cheap and pretty available. ive seen some people say it flows similar CFM as the Taurus fan which is a super common efan used. its designed for a V8 so it should cool well

a 2015+ Lincoln MKC uses a dual fan setup thats alittle smaller in surface area on the radiator but should mount pretty easy. it has doors that open when moving at high speed to let more airflow through. being a dual fan means its more redundant incase one fails, you will still have another but that depends on how you wire it. it does cost more than the other but still pretty cheap on Rockauto. availability is defiantly less being a relatively new and less common vehicle. no idea what CFM it pulls but the motors look pretty big. its only meant for a turbo 4 cylinder however

then there is always the Taurus and Mark VIII fans but they are not avaible new online that i know of. but they are the got-to fans most people use

my post on another thread yesterday
no i checked. windstar radiator is too wide. radiator core of a bronco is 700mm x 458mm (27.5" x 18")

windstar radiator is 760mm x 428mm (30" x 16.9")

the fan of the windstar kinda confirms it

but i have used this site radiator-parts.com which has sizes of most radiators listed. i used it to make a list of vehicles and then used rockauto to find a couple fans i like. jsut have to deterimine if i want 1 big fan or 2 normal fans.

the some of the Crown Vics have a raidator core the same size as the bronco. but its a single dual speed motor. but its cheap ($75ish range) and more widely avalible also. ive seen people say CMF is comparable to the Taurus fan.

or if i wanted to i can go with a Lincoln MKC assembly which is a dual fan setup. they are abit smaller. they do have the doors for airflow. no idea on CMF. availability is basicly online only. they cost more, some almost double. 672mm x 466mm (26.5" x 18.3")

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs. 94 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/1356/3.50 gears.
404 Posts
I got my taurus fan from rockauto. Way better than flexalite dual fans. I live in Ca, it's way too hot most of the year as well. I've ran several taurus fans over the years. Just run the high speed curcuit.

Attachments

·
Man of endless projects
9,286 Posts
ahh i guess the Taurus fan are avalible at Rockauto now. last i checked they all showed out of stock but now they are in.

the reason i like the Crown Vic one is i think it will fit over the radiator better. you have a good amount of uncovered core there. would be fine for a daily driver. but for offroading i would want as much of the radiator covered as i can so when mud starts to clog it up, it has more area to flow from.

·
Registered
96 EB
53 Posts
I've been looking at this too. I have an aluminum radiator that's been waiting to be installed for a couple months while I redo the interior, but will be getting back to the engine area soon. I read quite a few reviews about the flex fans going out. My mechanic said the Spal fans should be a lot better than the flex. So I think I'm going this dual fan setup. I want 2 just in case 1 goes out, at least I'll have something.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm using the dual fans from a 98-01 contour v6, it covers the core very well and is a 2 speed. I'm using a dccontrols 2 speed controller that can be adjusted to suit your needs. I've had 0 problems with temps getting out of hand, fans cycle on and off perfectly. I've had the truck on long slow trail crawls in 90+ heat with no issues.

High speed hardly even kicks on. Its hard to beat the oe fans for reliability. Contour fan moves about 3600cfm on high.

Reactions: GetBent4x4

·
Registered
96 EB
53 Posts
That sounds like something Az_bronco95 is looking for smeans92. Do you have a link for that 2 speed controller? I was thinking oe fans would be best, but i'd like 2 fans that cover all/most (95%+) of the radiator. Im not trying to jack the thread just seeing the options that have been working well. I'm still on the fence myself about an oe fan because I like the fact it's oe and sometimes they just last longer than aftermarket and at a much lower cost.

·
Registered
1995 Ford Bronco
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds like something Az_bronco95 is looking for smeans92. Do you have a link for that 2 speed controller? I was thinking oe fans would be best, but i'd like 2 fans that cover all/most (95%+) of the radiator. Im not trying to jack the thread just seeing the options that have been working well. I'm still on the fence myself about an oe fan because I like the fact it's oe and sometimes they just last longer than aftermarket and at a much lower cost.
I too am on the fence about buying an oe fan to fit to the shroud I built for pretty much the same reason as you but I have been finding that most of the aftermarket fans dont really have good cfm ratings so even if they cover more area but flow less air then it cant be any better than a single.

ahh i guess the Taurus fan are avalible at Rockauto now. last i checked they all showed out of stock but now they are in.

the reason i like the Crown Vic one is i think it will fit over the radiator better. you have a good amount of uncovered core there. would be fine for a daily driver. but for offroading i would want as much of the radiator covered as i can so when mud starts to clog it up, it has more area to flow from.
Its nice to see that you can get these fans from in the aftermarket now. I just wonder if they are as good as the factory units. I just need to decide what to do and give it a shot to see if it will work. Since its finally starting to cool off a little bit i wont really know either way until next summer anyway.
Lastly what all controllers is everyone running. I saw smeans92 says to use the dccontrols one but I heard they are no longer in business so I dont know if thats an option. I emailed them to see if I get a response or not. Time will tell.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I used the 2 fan controller from here http://www.dccontrol.com/Multispeed.htm

There is usually a long lead time so if you are in a hurry I'd look at other options. I waited about 5 weeks. The controller has been great though, very well built, easy to adjust and is designed similar to the oe controller ford used to run these fans. They also offer PWM controllers for full control over fan speed.

I ordered mine in spring of 19, I'm not sure if they survived covid or not. Hopefully he is still around.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
This is the goto guy for fan controllers. Quicker service and replies to emails. He doesn't do bang bang fan controls. All his controllers use PWM and the sensor goes in the outlet side of the radiator.

·
Man of endless projects
9,286 Posts
i make my own wiring setup made from standard relays and universal temp sensors. if i want adjustability ill use those cheap Imperial controllers as a base. it might not look as clean but i like using parts i can get at any auto part store. that way if a controller does fail i dont have to wait days to get a new one. PWM is a different story but dual speed or dual fan are not hard to wire up. both require 2 relays

i went by Advance Auto last night. they had the pre2000 CrownVic one is stock and a few in the area so they are defiantly more avaible for 114$retail. but after some magic (helps to be friends with managers) i can get it for like 85$. still more expensive than Rockauto but no shipping costs and lifetime warranty. granted warrenty is void if modified, but if i just swap motors/blades from new to old i dont think they would know difference

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,058 Posts
I run this one in my 78
It has spal fansm and flaps. The shroud is also steel on this one, which lends itself to being modified easier (easier meaning with just and mig welder). Run them off of a flexalite controller which I have had good luck with.
Either this one Flex-A-Lite Adjustable Electric Fan Controllers 107185 or this Flex-A-Lite Variable Speed Controllers 107012
Run similair setup in the 92 but with a different fan and shroud which fits it better

·
Registered
96 EB
53 Posts
oh man. Thanks @CrazyBRONCOguy I think that is exactly what I'm looking for. I was looking at that shroud already, but could not find the fans I wanted in them. This is the shroud I wanted and the spal fans. I think this is what I'm going to end up getting. I just need to find out what kind of controllers we can find. I know with electronics that I've owned over the years...the more I turn it off/on the quicker it dies. So now for small things like PCs/front porch lights that i use ALL the time. I just keep them on. I've had my pc for probably 10+ years and the power supply maybe longer lol. I am about certain I have not powered that power supply off/on more than 100-200 times since I bought it. I have a UPS so it just stays on forever.

So my thinking on the fan controllers is I'd like the fans on all the time on a low or very low speed. Then just kick into a higher speed rather than off, low, high over and over again while I'm driving. So in theory it just turns on/off as many times as I start the truck..rather than several times of off/on each time I drive. Plus being on, I'm thinking I'll know if one/both are bad and know when it needs to be replaced rather than wait and both be dead and can't drive at all then. I'm assuming 1 at full speed or close to it will keep it cool under normal driving conditions, which is all I plan.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have been running a fan off a wind star, no issues and has helped my ac in traffic. Fits the radiator nicely.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,058 Posts
I would check the dimensions on that one I linked against your radiator. It fits the 78/79 radiators very well. I am not sure how it would be on the TTB broncos.

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs. 94 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/1356/3.50 gears.
404 Posts
If you want the fan "always on," just leave the mechanical fan. Or get a pwm controller and have it kick on too early. The point of an electric fan is that they turn off when not needed.

I've only had 1 automotive electric fan fail to date and it was a cracked fin on an oem 2003 crown vic fan at 105k miles. I have however had 2 of the cheap bimetal type controllers fail, both were easily bypassed with a standard fuse.

·
Man of endless projects
9,286 Posts
got the Ford Freestar on my F250 for the last 5 years. but i dont really like how much it required to modify. i trimmed alot more than you did tho to make fit really close to the radiator. didnt mention it because it was not as direct swap

i picked up the Crown Vic fan last night from part store. it fits almost perfectly and leave only like an inch of the side exposed, top and bottom are completely covered. trimming the tabs will be very easy. something i did not realize was the fan is angled down making the top of it bigger. suppose it could be flipped upside down to make the bottom bigger so its easier to front of engine. i plan on using 4 little L brackets for top and bottom of shroud since it is an offroad truck that will be bouncing around alot. but it does have 4 convientient spots for those through radiator mounts if desired

the power connector i ordered on Amazon for 15$ and is Prime will be here tomarrow. i did order a DCControl 2-speed kit. was planning to make my own relay kit or using the Volvo relay but i want the fan to come on at a lower temp than the BMW temp probe does.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,643 Posts
got the Ford Freestar on my F250 for the last 5 years. but i dont really like how much it required to modify. i trimmed alot more than you did tho to make fit really close to the radiator. didnt mention it because it was not as direct swap
Yeah rather than try to cut the sides like you did i simply set it in place, and closed off the gaps top/bottom with 1/8 angle which i also used as my method for mounting the fan. Actually ended up being pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i did order a DCControl 2-speed kit. was planning to make my own relay kit or using the Volvo relay but i want the fan to come on at a lower temp than the BMW temp probe does.
[/QUOTE]
I've been really happy with the 2 fan controller for my contour fans. It's essentially a copy of how the Form CCRM module works, multiple relays in a small circuit board that works with the oe resistor to run low speed. Mine has seen lots of dust and water/snow and zero issues so far.

Only problem is if you're in a hurry, there is a bit of lead time. Took over a month from order to arrive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts