Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this might sound dumb thats why i put it in the flame free zone, a older man once told me that in a diesel hydro locking was when the fuel lines get hot and the fuel atomizes before it gets into the cc but i dont know if this is true or if its is the same on gasoline engines so if anyone can help clear this up

·
Registered
331 Posts
thats vapor lock... only it takes alot more heat to do that in a diesel... alot more...

·
Registered
834 Posts
remember, water does not compress like sand, rock, air, or pretty much any other molocule known to man so, when water gets sucked into a piston on the down stroke, it is pretty much "game over".
What happens is the intake valve is open and water gets sucked into the piston instead of air (which can be compressed). Once the piston is at the bottom of the stroke, the intake valve closes and the piston starts to move back up. Normally, this would compress the air and fuel in there and, upon full compression, the spark plug would fire and send the piston back down.
But, because there is now water in the chamber, the weakest link would break.
if you are lucky, you will simply blow out the head gasket or bend a valve.
If you are unlucky, you can bend/break a piston rod or crack a piston.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Transmissions can hydro-lock as well. Never seen it but heard about it. On an engine, it can lock it, and that is death to the motor.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
remember, water does not compress like sand, rock, air, or pretty much any other molocule known to man so, when water gets sucked into a piston on the down stroke, it is pretty much "game over".
What happens is the intake valve is open and water gets sucked into the piston instead of air (which can be compressed). Once the piston is at the bottom of the stroke, the intake valve closes and the piston starts to move back up. Normally, this would compress the air and fuel in there and, upon full compression, the spark plug would fire and send the piston back down.
But, because there is now water in the chamber, the weakest link would break.
if you are lucky, you will simply blow out the head gasket or bend a valve.
If you are unlucky, you can bend/break a piston rod or crack a piston.
you can not compress ANY liquid

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
Why do you want to know? Like someone said it is when water enters air intake (usually), if your pistons and cylinders are at high temps it can cause you to throw a rod as the water is a lot colder. Often, all you have to do is take a breaker bar and turn the crank to get the water out of the engine throw spark plug holes. Then just change the oil once or twice. This can be avoided by using a snorkel, such is the reason for using them.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts

·
Premium Member
919 Posts

·
penis
3,318 Posts
It is not just water, coolant, oil, and gas can hydrolock a motor, But water and coolant are more likely. Seen oil hydrolock a 7.3 in a bus.

·
Registered
834 Posts
You can compress water, or almost any material. However, it requires a great deal of pressure to accomplish a little compression. For that reason, liquids and solids are sometimes referred to as being incompressible.
OK... for the anal retentive out there.
Most automobile engines will not compress water, coke, red wine, or saline solution.

·
Side step it
1,583 Posts
i know this might sound dumb thats why i put it in the flame free zone, a older man once told me that in a diesel hydro locking was when the fuel lines get hot and the fuel atomizes before it gets into the cc but i dont know if this is true or if its is the same on gasoline engines so if anyone can help clear this up
Ask a simple question get a simple answer hahaha like everyone said hydro is water lock, gas etc is vapor lock usually from being too hot!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts