Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thinking of goingto look at an 86 and want to know what to look for. Any problem areas ? Ad says 351HO is that 351M or 351W ? What trans should it have C6 or an OD ? It should be 9in. rear and TTB up front right ? What gear ratio was stock ? I want this thing to tow around 2800lbs and not fight to get it going or stop. Is that asking to much ?
 

·
FSB warrior
Joined
·
6,113 Posts
lugnut said:
I thinking of goingto look at an 86 and want to know what to look for. Any problem areas ? Ad says 351HO is that 351M or 351W ? What trans should it have C6 or an OD ? It should be 9in. rear and TTB up front right ? What gear ratio was stock ? I want this thing to tow around 2800lbs and not fight to get it going or stop. Is that asking to much ?
Search, you open up 3 threads on this page your gonna put 2 and 2 together and know its not a 351M, tranny It could have either, but it will have OD on the gear selector (DUH!) And it could be a 9in, but its probably an 8.8. And you think that 80-96 they slapped the TTB under didnt include 86' for some reason?? Gear ratio??? whatever they put on the tag is probably whats in the pumpkins. Most common is 3.50 though. 2800lbs isnt too much for a 351
 

·
Teddy Bear
Joined
·
2,209 Posts
most 86s had a 8.8 rear, there should be no problem towing that much, rust is a problem on these trucks, tailgate motors, 3.55 i believe to be stock, i would say either but ultamatly youll have to ask the person writing the ad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
81Bronk36 said:
Search, you open up 3 threads on this page your gonna put 2 and 2 together and know its not a 351M, tranny It could have either, but it will have OD on the gear selector (DUH!) And it could be a 9in, but its probably an 8.8. And you think that 80-96 they slapped the TTB under didnt include 86' for some reason?? Gear ratio??? whatever they put on the tag is probably whats in the pumpkins. Most common is 3.50 though. 2800lbs isnt too much for a 351
Searched 351 found just as much talk about the M as the W but didnt find what year the M went out.

I always wanted to know what that OD ment

You findin the tag on most 20 year old axles ? Buy a lotto ticket your alot lucker than I am.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dat_Bronco_Boi said:
most 86s had a 8.8 rear, there should be no problem towing that much, rust is a problem on these trucks, tailgate motors, 3.55 i believe to be stock, i would say either but ultamatly youll have to ask the person writing the ad
Thank you
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,299 Posts
lugnut said:
I thinking of goingto look at an 86 and want to know what to look for. Any problem areas ? Ad says 351HO is that 351M or 351W ? What trans should it have C6 or an OD ? It should be 9in. rear and TTB up front right ? What gear ratio was stock ? I want this thing to tow around 2800lbs and not fight to get it going or stop. Is that asking to much ?
81s answered most of your question for you

but I read here that AODs were never used behind 351 Windsors as a stock option(not that they won't fit).

They were deemed too weak, at the time, and 351 owners had to wait several more years past 86 until the newer OD auto was made avaialble to them. In 87 they did ditch the mileage losing carbs though, in favour of EFI.

Too bad for you as you'll have pi$$ poor mileage with a C-6 and no automatic overdrive and fuel injection.

I realize the 80-86s are better looking than the later trucks (87 thru 91), but you're giving away a lot (the OD and EFI) not going with a later 351 equipped Bronco IMO.

Sixlitre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sixlitre said:
Too bad for you as you'll have pi$$ poor mileage with a C-6 and no automatic overdrive and fuel injection.

I realize the 80-86s are better looking than the later trucks (87 thru 91), but you're giving away a lot (the OD and EFI) not going with a later 351 equipped Bronco IMO.

Sixlitre
I'll give up the MPG for a C-6 vs the OD any day. The EFI would be nice but I can do without it.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,845 Posts
lugnut said:
Searched 351 found just as much talk about the M as the W but didnt find what year the M went out.

I always wanted to know what that OD ment

You findin the tag on most 20 year old axles ? Buy a lotto ticket your alot lucker than I am.
why not? my 85 had both tags on the front and rear axles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
351 M went away in 81 or 82 and the rest after that were 351 W. C-6 Trans is probably what it will have and fuel mileage will be HORRIBLE.

The H.O. was a great option for those years as it got you H.P. up around 210 which was a big jump from the 160 range BUT get ready for smog crap and I honestly have never seen that much footage of vacuum lines under one hood in my life. Depending on were your from and local regulations...ditch the factory manifold and carb, put a after market setup on it and go to work.

As far as the axles...ask owner for door jamb axle code and go from there...probably a 8.8 rear and I would guess 3.55. If it is a 9" (rare this year), it probably be a 3:50 ratio.

Good Luck.
 

·
FSB warrior
Joined
·
6,113 Posts
you know where to find the tags but you can't glance under and tell if its an 8.8 or 9 "

Yes my front has the tag, my back had the tag and If IIRC my 76 had a tag as well. Im running the 76 housing cuz it didnt leak and the 81 pinion since it didnt leak. Also my door sticker was easily findable and so are the code descriptions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
you know where to find the tags but you can't glance under and tell if its an 8.8 or 9 "

O yes u can tell if its a 9" or 8.8.. the 9" bolts from the front of the housing and the 8.8 has a cover bolter on the back and no bolts on the front of axel.. The 351 m was discontinued after the 80 the 351 w was the last year for that then started the 302 in 82..:drinkbud
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Quote:
you know where to find the tags but you can't glance under and tell if its an 8.8 or 9 "

Yes my front has the tag, my back had the tag and If IIRC my 76 had a tag as well. Im running the 76 housing cuz it didnt leak and the 81 pinion since it didnt leak. Also my door sticker was easily findable and so are the code descriptions.

O yes u can tell if its a 9" or 8.8.. the 9" bolts from the front of the housing and the 8.8 has a cover bolter on the back and no bolts on the front of axel.. The 351 m was discontinued after the 80 the 351 w was the last year for that then started the 302 in 82..:drinkbud[/QUOTE]



SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST TRYED TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO QUOTE...
 

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
Joined
·
6,949 Posts
My 85 bronco had an 351HO....

From what i've read, if it really does have a 351HO then it should have a C6, NP208 T-case, 9 inch rear. prettymuch all the 351HO broncos i have saw were like that. I guess their may be exceptions to the rule.

Also the 351HO came factory with a holley 4bbl carb, which can be problematic, and it also had a 4v intake and lots of vaccum likes and emissions crap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
My 85 bronco had an 351HO....

From what i've read, if it really does have a 351HO then it should have a C6, NP208 T-case, 9 inch rear. prettymuch all the 351HO broncos i have saw were like that. I guess their may be exceptions to the rule.

Also the 351HO came factory with a holley 4bbl carb, which can be problematic, and it also had a 4v intake and lots of vaccum likes and emissions crap.
My 85 had the same setup. I did get rid of all the emissions stuff. It was a great truck if you don't mind 7-8 MPG. I abused it for 13 years and it was still going strong when I sold it. :banghead
 

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
Joined
·
6,949 Posts
Crawdad said:
It was a great truck if you don't mind 7-8 MPG.
When i first bought mine it was gettin about 12...it dropped to about 7 after i beat on it for a year...i did a full tuneup (cap, rotor, wires, coil, plugs gapped a little farther, bunch of seafoam, changed trasmission fluid and gutted my clogged cat) and i bought a new carb and edel. intake. I got about 15 after that.

They do suck gas.
 

·
FSB warrior
Joined
·
6,113 Posts
Graydevil said:
you know where to find the tags but you can't glance under and tell if its an 8.8 or 9 "

O yes u can tell if its a 9" or 8.8.. the 9" bolts from the front of the housing and the 8.8 has a cover bolter on the back and no bolts on the front of axel.. The 351 m was discontinued after the 80 the 351 w was the last year for that then started the 302 in 82..:drinkbud
Was talking to lugnut. The 302 started in 1968, but I dont think you could get it in a 78-79 just a 68-77 and 80-96.
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,299 Posts
81Bronk36 said:
Was talking to lugnut. The 302 started in 1968, but I dont think you could get it in a 78-79 just a 68-77 and 80-96.
That must have been the years they were trying to push the 255 on us.

The 260 which pre-dated the 289, which pre-dated the 302, was a whole lot more successful in the early 60s than the 255 was in the late 70s believe me.

There was apparently a 221 CID version before the 260, but I can't say I've ever seen one.

Saw a 260 a vintage Sunbeam Tiger owner was rebuilding once. He later sold it to a guy who immediately ditched the restored 260 for a heavily modified 289, which really made that Tiger roll !

Sixlitre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm gonna try to go look at it this weekend. Now I can be some what informed about it. I havent had a Ford in a LONG time. Playin with Jeeps I aint saw a tag on the diff. in years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
I have an '86 with a stock 9" rear, AOD transmission. It is a 302 not a 351 though. As for gear ratio, I have stock gears as well, 4.10 up front, 4.11 rear. I honestly don't know whether it would be a 351M or W. Oh yeah, I have stock EFI too.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top