Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 FSB Eddie Bauer, 5.0, AOD, D44 front axle, 8.8 rear axle, manual shift BW1356.

Background: replaced brake pads front & rear about a year and a half ago. I noticed that the rear brakes looked as if they are not engaging. I bought replacement rear adjusters and springs (thinking that was the problem). Replaced pads, didn't replace anything else.

During a tire rotation not long after that I noticed that the rear drums had no wear, problem not fixed. A few months back I replaced my entire brake system (from master cylinder to all parts at wheels) minus one unidentified part. Below is a photo. It's my master cylinder. The forward brake tube goes down to the frame to a tee and then to each of the front discs. The rear brake tube starts at that silver barrel on the master cylinder and goes down to the frame, down the frame to the rear axle, to another tee, and then to each rear drum. The unidentified part is that silver cylinder off the master cylinder to the start of the line to the rear drums. At the time I did my brake system, I could not identify that part. Ford couldn't even tell me what it was. I have searched my master parts CD with no luck.

I did take this thing apart when I replaced the system. It has a little plastic disc with little holes around its edge. Looked like a piston (or valve) of some sort to me. There were a couple of o-rings in there too, I replaced those and rebuilt the unit.

Current Issue: rotating tires again I checked the progress of the brake system... still no wear on the rear brakes. So my thought is that the cause is the only piece I didn't replace a few months ago... this unidentified part?

Any ideas would be appreciated...
Dave

Photos:

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Rear brake check & limiting valve. The "actual" name, I don't know, but that's my generic name for it. Makes it so there is residual pressure on the rear brake lines AND so that a sudden pedal application doesn't jam the shoes into the drum causing wheel lock.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rear brake check & limiting valve. The "actual" name, I don't know, but that's my generic name for it. Makes it so there is residual pressure on the rear brake lines AND so that a sudden pedal application doesn't jam the shoes into the drum causing wheel lock.
so where can I find one? the plastic disc I described inside it, it looked like it was broke to me. I couldn't find a new one so I just put it back together. can I just gut it out? I do some trailer towing and I'm going through front pads like crazy...

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Both previous posters are right, it is a proportioning valve and it does what sigma says. Good luck finding one, proportioning valve could mean multiple parts and the guys who work auto parts stores will be hard pressed to find you the right one, trust someone who has tried to replace one. If you can find one they are expensive (100 plus) I'd recommend getting one from a junkyard.

·
Super Moderator
26,333 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:beer thanks for the info guys, was just having a problem with info. I'm swapping it out for a real proportioning valve... I'll keep you posted...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts